whining noise coming from back wheel ???????
+ Reply to Thread

This is a discussion on whining noise coming from back wheel ??????? within the General Maintenance, Troubleshooting & Accidents. forums, part of the Tech & Modifying & General Repairs category; hi im looking for sum answers i have a 2003 wrx and recently a whining noise is coming from the ...

whining noise coming from back wheel ???????

hi im looking for sum answers i have a 2003 wrx and recently a whining noise is coming from the back wheel when turning to the right like going round bends roundabout ect while the car is going straight and turning left nothing at all anybody got ideas what this can be its like a droning whining noise any help would be much apriciated

2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements

Does everything look ok visually underneath?

Sent from my PC36100 using Tapatalk 2
    2011 Base WRX

Good news, everyone! xxxxxxxAnub1s's Avatar
    I Support ClubWRX
    Wheel bearing more than likely.
    Cody
    Hawk-Eye Alliance #727 N.E.R.D #255.255.255.0

Your nighttime volunteer of near-useless information.
    Good news, everyone!

I Support ClubWRX
    Did you just replace or remove the brake rotors?

MichaelWFox on here and I were discussing this last night. There is a slight lip on the brake rotors that sometimes scrapes the dust shield without warning. It's fairly common, but there hasn't been a good root cause found for it. Sometimes it happens, sometimes not. The best cause I could come up with was tolerance stack up with the hub and rotor which causes the slight scratching.

You can try grinding down the bottom edge of the dust shield in the corner of the car where the noise is coming from just to see if that helps. If not, then yeah, wheel bearing most likely.
    Isaac -- 2003 WRX sedan Stg II - Gave its life for mine 6/2013.
    2007 Outback 3.0R wagon
    Proud owner of a N.E.R.D, Member 1.3810-23

The pursuit of knowledge is hopeless and eternal... Hooray!!! - Professor Farnsworth

I Support ClubWRX
    Yep Rambo is correct and I just fixed mine today! Just cut the bottom of that lip off.

Problem area

Fixed

We then cleaned that area up a bit just didn't take pictures.

Take the back driver side rotor off and if you see a shiny spot on the bottom then you have found the cause. Hope this helps.
    GTA:O ClubWRX Crew

My "Build" Thread!

2006 WRX TR
    Hawk-Eye Alliance #1856...ssshhh don't tell anyone!

My first thought would be the wheel bearing.
    Scott
    Past Subies - '11 STI Limited stage 1+ and '04 STi stage 2+
    '13 Wrangler Rubicon - custom front bumper w/12k lb winch & off-road lights, skid plates, diff guards, etc.
    '04 Porsche 911 Turbo GT2 clone 600 HP/TQ
    '77 F-150 heavily modded for off-roading

I Support ClubWRX
    Honestly, I think it a bad move to recommend griding down a part of the brake assembly first thing. While it is a possibility, and it is at least something to bring up as such, I think we should probably stay away from recommending this as a first thing to try.

Being that he has a 2003 WRX and pre-2008 WRX's are notorious for losing their rear wheel bearings around 100k, I find it far more likely that this is the case.
    Cody

Good news, everyone!

I Support ClubWRX
    It's not really part of the assembly, it's the dust shield. These are completely removed anyway by anyone doing an H6 upgrade, which is popular for the 02-05 cars.

It very well could be the wheel bearing, and it's probably due for replacement anyway, but this scraping issue has been documented on cars with brand new bearings, so no reason not to keep it in the back burner just in case. If you have access to a lathe, the offending lip can be machined off the disk as well (which is a much more elegant solution).
    Isaac -- 2003 WRX sedan Stg II - Gave its life for mine 6/2013.
    2007 Outback 3.0R wagon
    Proud owner of a N.E.R.D, Member 1.3810-23

The pursuit of knowledge is hopeless and eternal... Hooray!!! - Professor Farnsworth

I Support ClubWRX
    True enough, sir, true enough.
    Cody

Good news, everyone!

I Support ClubWRX
    I apologize if my earlier post looked like I was saying this was the first thing to check. Clearly it is not.

Wheel bearings are far easier to check and should definitely be checked first. I just know from doing hours of research to fix the noise on my car that this problem is extremely common.

The lip that we ground off does nothing in terms of how the brakes function. At most it might be there to keep moisture out of the e-brake.

tl;dr: Check wheel bearing first, then the problem documented above.
    GTA:O ClubWRX Crew

My "Build" Thread!

2006 WRX TR
    Hawk-Eye Alliance #1856...ssshhh don't tell anyone!

+ Reply to Thread

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself. We strongly suggest that you stay away from using aol, yahoo, msn, and hotmail accounts. Sometimes the mail server blocks the emails from our server. As a result you will not receive any notifications including the confirmation email.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.