shift thunk

This is a discussion on shift thunk within the General Maintenance, Troubleshooting & Accidents. forums, part of the Tech & Modifying & General Repairs category; When I shift from first to second I hear a thunk which is obviously coming from either the transmission or ...

shift thunk

When I shift from first to second I hear a thunk which is obviously coming from either the transmission or engine. Its in the center of the car just forward of the shifter. Under normal shifting there is no thunk. The faster I let the clutch out the louder the sound is. So I'm guessing engine or transmission mounts. Is this normal? The car was in an accident which took a front end impact on the passenger side. If it's kind of a normal thing how can I fix this?

2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements

What year is your car?

Likely you're hearing diff clunk. Even if it sounds more forward its likely the diff. TIC (turnin concepts) has what you need to fix that. I'm not affiliated but they're one of the best vendors we have at our reach and they will not steer you wrong.

- Turn in Concepts

Edit: Should probably carify what diff clunk is, diff moves up and down during hard acceleration because of soft mounting. Diff mount inserts or new diff mounts are the way to mitigate the condition. My 2010 did this about 3 weeks after I bought it. Scared the crap outa me until I figured out what it was. Ordered up some bushing inserts, installed.. and not only did I get rid of the diff clunk, the whole feel of the driveline is better. Its not sloppy anymore. I've also done the cradle bushings out back and the trans mount (group N) as well.

If your car is quite a bit older or has high mileage it may not hurt to do all the mounts at once from the engine rearward. Engine and trans are most expensive, the mounts/bushings or inserts for the rear are very inexpensive. For under $80 you can do the whole rear and really improve how the car feels.
    Last edited by mangostick; 05-24-2012 at 06:09 AM.
    OBP 2010 5dr *traded*
    SWP 2013 FRS
    My name is Shawn, I'm a Devout Practicalist and I'm addicted to flat4's
    This page has had 1,666 visits
    SUCH IS MANGO!

I Support ClubWRX
    Just as a note, diff clunk doesn't really hurt anything, it sounds bad and is converting energy that could be driving the wheels to useless vibration. As Mango said, bushing insets will fix this for minimal expense.
    Isaac -- 2003 WRX sedan Stg II - Gave its life for mine 6/2013.
    2007 Outback 3.0R wagon
    Proud owner of a N.E.R.D, Member 1.3810-23

He who shall be last, shall be sideways and smiling... - Jeremy Clarkson

oops. Can't believe I forgot one of the most important pieces of information! its a 2008 non sti. so how hard is it to replace the inserts?