alarm won't arm

This is a discussion on alarm won't arm within the General Maintenance, Troubleshooting & Accidents. forums, part of the Tech & Modifying & General Repairs category; I have read several posts but none seem to address my problem. No matter what I do to arm the ...

alarm won't arm

I have read several posts but none seem to address my problem. No matter what I do to arm the security system on my 03 wrx it just keeps happily blinking and not working. I have an aftermarket and an original key fob properly programmed and no joy. thanks in advance.

2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements

The parking lights blink you mean?

Tough to tell...aftermarket alarm systems obviously aren't stock, so there aren't many people around that may have the info to help...like me. Sorry man.
    The Hawk-Eye Alliance #90|The Blobeye Syndicate #0|The Stink-Eye Mob #0|N.E.R.D. Founding Member & #3
    2012 Lightning Red WRX Sedan Stock...for now Soon to be OpenSource tuned by: Mattypants @ WTF Tuning
    "If I have 10 ice cubes and you have 11 giraffes, how many pancakes can fit on the roof? Purple, because aliens donít wear hats" -Ying

no, it's a stock subaru system. it won't go out of valet mode where the idiot light blinks twice every second.

Look for the fuse and see if it has obvious signs of going bad or just replace it. You can also try unplugging the battery for a while to see if that 'resets' it. Since it's an aftermarket, the fuse will most likely be on a wire under the hood heading out of the battery.

Oops...just read that it's stock...misunderstood...sorry.

I just talked to a buddy of mine with an '05...try this:
    - place key in ignition and press the unlock button on your fob
    - turn key to ON position
    - press the unlock button your door and open the door at the same time but hold this position for 10 Seconds keeping the button pressed down while pulling on the door handle.

I know it sounds crazy. It should honk once to indicate it's off.

I Support ClubWRX
    Quote Originally Posted by ebfaig View Post
    I have read several posts but none seem to address my problem. No matter what I do to arm the security system on my 03 wrx it just keeps happily blinking and not working. I have an aftermarket and an original key fob properly programmed and no joy. thanks in advance.
    I think you're in "Valet Mode". Does the red security dash light double flash every second?

To engage normal mode, open the driver's door, then press the unlock/disarm button for more than two seconds (the blue button on the stock fob). The red dashboard alarm light will flash once every two seconds.

You can repeat the above to go back to "Valet Mode", which basically just disables the alarm. You can also press and hold both the lock and unlock buttons at the same time to turn the lock beep on or off. (The horn beeps once for lock, twice for unlock).

The previous owner religiously saved all the original documentation to the car, so I'm reading all of this out of the original factory alarm paphlet from 2003.
    Last edited by Rambo; 05-23-2012 at 10:54 AM.
    Isaac -- 2003 WRX sedan Stg II - Gave its life for mine 6/2013.
    2007 Outback 3.0R wagon
    Proud owner of a N.E.R.D, Member 1.38◊10-23

He who shall be last, shall be sideways and smiling... - Jeremy Clarkson

I tried the bit with the door and the unlock button, did nothing.

Yes, it seems stuck in valet mode.

I Support ClubWRX
    Quote Originally Posted by ebfaig View Post
    I tried the bit with the door and the unlock button, did nothing.

Yes, it seems stuck in valet mode.
    Which thing did you try? My suggestion, or JaySin's?

You can also check the security system controller to make sure everythng is plugged in / no strange wires going places. It's located directly underneath the mirror adjustment switch on the center console. You'll need to pull out the conter console section. You won't have to completely remove it, so you don't need to unscrew the shift knob and pull the boot out.
    Last edited by Rambo; 05-23-2012 at 01:28 PM.
    Isaac -- 2003 WRX sedan Stg II - Gave its life for mine 6/2013.
    2007 Outback 3.0R wagon
    Proud owner of a N.E.R.D, Member 1.38◊10-23

He who shall be last, shall be sideways and smiling... - Jeremy Clarkson

I Support ClubWRX
    Is there a door or hatch lid switch that is engaged, making the car think something is open? Or, is there actually something open?
    WRX Info Links, Courtesy TheJ
    The world breaks everyone and afterward many are strong in the broken places. Ernest Hemingway
    I lied. I cheated. I bribed men to cover the crimes of other men. I am an accessory to murder. But the most damning thing of all... I think I can live with it. And if I had to do it all over again - I would. Benjamin Sisko
    DISCLAIMER: Opinions expressed are the author's alone and are inherently worthless.

I've tried every idea suggested and I've even spoken harshly to the car. nothing is open, I think it might be broken.

I know this is an old thread but I had the same problem with my 04. Anyways I did Rambos instructions and it went back to normal. Dumb question but is the battery in your key fob dead? Maybe that is why you cant get it to work? Good luck otherwise.

it just turns itself on and off at random times. I have not tried to arm it in months. it's almost funny.