Temp bouncing around?
+ Reply to Thread

This is a discussion on Temp bouncing around? within the General Maintenance, Troubleshooting & Accidents. forums, part of the Tech & Modifying & General Repairs category; So ironically on my way to the suby dealership to pick an oil filter up to do an oil change ...

Temp bouncing around?

So ironically on my way to the suby dealership to pick an oil filter up to do an oil change I noticed my temp gauge is going up considerably at an idle and returns to normal temp when I get going. My friend and I are thinking the thermostat just kicked it but I thought I'd see if anyone else had an idea before I drain the damn coolant to check. Thanks!

2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements

I Support ClubWRX
    If the thermostat failed you would be running hot all the time. I would check to see if your fans are coming on. Next step would be burping the coolant system. Just a worse case scenario: blown headgasket.
    Resident Adviser @ WTF Tuning, LLC
    2002 FORESTER S
    1998 FORESTER S

Sounds like your radiator fan is out. Check your fuses. It has a normal fan fuse and a backup fan fuse. I had the exact same problem before and both the fuses were blown. If the fuses are fine then pop your hood and check to make sure your fan comes on when it enters the appropriate temperature. If not then maybe there is something mechanically wrong with it. It does not sound like the thermostat however. At least to me.

Yeah check the fans. They kick on when the car is stopped or moving very slowly so the radiator can get adequate flow for cooling. They turn off when you're moving since air flows naturally at that point.
    The Hawk-Eye Alliance #90|The Blobeye Syndicate #0|The Stink-Eye Mob #0|N.E.R.D. Founding Member & #3
    2012 Lightning Red WRX Sedan
    ProcessWest TMIC Cobb SF Intake w/airbox Invidia Catless Downpipe Invidia Q300 Catback Kartboy Short Shifter
    OpenSource tuned by: Matty @ WTF Tuning

+ Reply to Thread

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself. We strongly suggest that you stay away from using aol, yahoo, msn, and hotmail accounts. Sometimes the mail server blocks the emails from our server. As a result you will not receive any notifications including the confirmation email.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.