Whining noise after timing belt replacement

This is a discussion on Whining noise after timing belt replacement within the General Maintenance, Troubleshooting & Accidents. forums, part of the Tech & Modifying & General Repairs category; Just wrapped up replacing the timing belt along with the water pump, thermo, tensioner, and the idlers. Start it up ...

Whining noise after timing belt replacement

Just wrapped up replacing the timing belt along with the water pump, thermo, tensioner, and the idlers. Start it up fine but then this whining noise appears and stays only during idle. When I rev about 1000rpm it goes away but anything lower it comes back. Any thoughts?

Here is a clip of the noise

Belt Whine

2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements

Sounds like the tension is off or one of the parts holding tension is installed incorrectly or failing.
    Scott
    Past Subies - '11 STI Limited stage 1+ and '04 STi stage 2+
    '13 Wrangler Rubicon - custom front bumper w/12k lb winch & off-road lights, skid plates, diff guards, etc.
    '04 Porsche 911 Turbo GT2 clone 600 HP/TQ
    '77 F-150 heavily modded for off-roading

After I replaced my timing belt / water pump with a kit I got off of ebay, I had some serious whining for several thousand miles. It quieted itself after a while, and its probably 30-40k miles later and still no issues.

Good news, everyone! xxxxxxxAnub1s's Avatar
    I Support ClubWRX
    Quote Originally Posted by ShapeShifterz View Post
    After I replaced my timing belt / water pump with a kit I got off of ebay, I had some serious whining for several thousand miles. It quieted itself after a while, and its probably 30-40k miles later and still no issues.
    You are a brave soul for purchasing a timing belt kit off eBay.
    Cody
    Hawk-Eye Alliance #727 N.E.R.D #255.255.255.0

Your nighttime volunteer of near-useless information.
    Good news, everyone!

Quote Originally Posted by Anub1s View Post
    You are a brave soul for purchasing a timing belt kit off eBay.
    I agree, $300 isn't as big a cost as a new engine.

Anyway, I've found the source of the problem, when i replaced the water pump i got the back cover in front of a certain area of it instead of behind it. This pushed the entire casing up against the belt as well as made the lower right guide go out out proper alignment. So i got that all back in order, threw a new gates belt on and adjusted all the guides and have been running fine since then.