What would cause A/C temp to fluctuate?
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

This is a discussion on What would cause A/C temp to fluctuate? within the General Maintenance, Troubleshooting & Accidents. forums, part of the Tech & Modifying & General Repairs category; So its 106 degrees today and my '11 has always done this. I'll be going 70 with cruise control set ...

What would cause A/C temp to fluctuate?

So its 106 degrees today and my '11 has always done this. I'll be going 70 with cruise control set on flat ground with the air on recirculate and fan set to 5 of 7 speed and the AC will randomly blow warm air for 1-3 secs. Is there something wrong with it or am I expecting to much of the AC system? I've rented compact cars in the past that never did this.

Sent from my PC36100 using Tapatalk 2
    2011 Base WRX

2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements

I Support ClubWRX
    Where the hell do you live that it's 106?!
    2005 WRX STi (Mods | Virtual Dyno)

Resident Tuner @ WTF Tuning

"Never trust anything that bleeds for a week and lives ..."

UNYSOC

Quote Originally Posted by EJ257 View Post
    Where the hell do you live that it's 106?!
    Las Vegas, NV

2011 Base WRX

I Support ClubWRX
    Quote Originally Posted by Hoofhearted View Post
    Las Vegas, NV

Move,lol.

I think mine does the same.It does when I use the heater.

I haven't used the AC yet this year.So I don't remember if its the same with the AC.

Must be the Climate control trying to maintain the set temperature.
    T0ny
    2011 WRX
    2012 FXT

The Big 2011/2012 Mod Thread

Ooh,hang on. That is the throb of a turbocharged flat four engine. A sound which,all over the world,heralds the imminent arrival of a moron - JC.

Quote Originally Posted by rage-wrx View Post

Must be the Climate control trying to maintain the set temperature.
    I have it set to what ever the lowest temp is so I don't think that is the case.

2011 Base WRX

I Support ClubWRX
    It's normal if your pressures are correct and the thermostat is working I suppose. If you are concerned, have someone check those things specifically.
    WRX Info Links, Courtesy TheJ
    Man is a brute.... If you're cruel to him, he respects and fears you. If you're kind to him, he plucks your eyes out. Alexis Zorbas
    I lied. I cheated. I bribed men to cover the crimes of other men. I am an accessory to murder. But the most damning thing of all... I think I can live with it. And if I had to do it all over again - I would. Benjamin Sisko
    DISCLAIMER: Opinions expressed are the author's alone and are inherently worthless.

I Support ClubWRX
    Mine does the same...both hot and cold

I would be willing to bet that it is the system momentarily running uncooled/unheated air through the system to check what temp the cabin air is at.

I suspect this as an unexpected side effect of the economy temp specific thermostat. If it were old-school, you would not have temp numbers on the dial, and would have to manually modulate the temp/fan speed. With the system having designated numbers (65/75/85), and auto fan speeds, it has to have some way of accurately reading cabin air temp. Unfortunately, a standard passive thermostat like your house has (one lead somewhere central with either a coil or a thermocouple) is not sufficient in a car as in most locations it would read radiant temp readings from the surrounding metal and interior parts. So you will need some sort of fan to force air past the thermostat that is isolated from metal parts or interior trim parts that are directly exposed to the sun. I know, in a perfect world, it would have a separate fan system that sucked sample temp air from the cabin and shot it outside silently, but that would add weight, so no thanks.
    Stink-Eye Mob #39
    N.E.R.D. Operative #8

Good news, everyone! xxxxxxxAnub1s's Avatar
    I Support ClubWRX
    This thread makes me glad I have the manual controls. Never have a hiccup with AC or heat delivery.
    Cody
    Hawk-Eye Alliance #727 N.E.R.D #255.255.255.0

Your nighttime volunteer of near-useless information.
    Good news, everyone!

Quote Originally Posted by DemonWRX View Post
    Mine does the same...both hot and cold

I would be willing to bet that it is the system momentarily running uncooled/unheated air through the system to check what temp the cabin air is at.

I suspect this as an unexpected side effect of the economy temp specific thermostat. If it were old-school, you would not have temp numbers on the dial, and would have to manually modulate the temp/fan speed. With the system having designated numbers (65/75/85), and auto fan speeds, it has to have some way of accurately reading cabin air temp. Unfortunately, a standard passive thermostat like your house has (one lead somewhere central with either a coil or a thermocouple) is not sufficient in a car as in most locations it would read radiant temp readings from the surrounding metal and interior parts. So you will need some sort of fan to force air past the thermostat that is isolated from metal parts or interior trim parts that are directly exposed to the sun. I know, in a perfect world, it would have a separate fan system that sucked sample temp air from the cabin and shot it outside silently, but that would add weight, so no thanks.
    That makes sense. I wish there was a way to dissable it like pulling a fuse or disconnecting a wire from the sensor. I never have it set to anything other then what ever the max cold is.

2011 Base WRX

So its been happening so much that I feel like there is something wrong. So I made a appointment amd I feel like they are just going to give me the run around. Over the phone he said the system does cycle on and off while I'm driving but I don't understand why it would cycle off if its still hot in the cabin and really hot outside. I don't know how AC systems work so what I said might not make any sense to someone who knows about this kind of stuff.

2011 Base WRX

I Support ClubWRX
    Did some digging, and I have two possible causes.....

One, if your cabin filter is real dirty it could be restricting the air flow, causing the AC to disengage so the evap does not freeze solid.

Two, take it to the dealer and have the freon level checked. If the freon is low, the pressure switch could be causing it to disengage/re-engage sporatically
    Stink-Eye Mob #39
    N.E.R.D. Operative #8

Thanks for checking on that. The car has 9k miles so maybe the cabin filter is dirty but I doubt it, ill check it. The dealer said they will check the levels and fill them up of they are low. Is this something that should be covered under warranty or should I expect to pay for it? Car was bought in Oct '11

2011 Base WRX

I Support ClubWRX
    AC freon level should be under warranty I would think...it has not even been a year. Not to mention if it is low, I would have them check for leaks. The cabin filter will not be a warranty item.

For the filter, strongly recommend doing it your self....my dealer charges like $89 to do that (man, what some people are willing to fall for)
    Stink-Eye Mob #39
    N.E.R.D. Operative #8

Yes I will do it on my own. What's the recommend interval for changing the cabin filter?

2011 Base WRX

I Support ClubWRX
    the interval is in the back of you manual, but I think it is like once a year or every 15K miles (which ever comes first)
    Stink-Eye Mob #39
    N.E.R.D. Operative #8

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself. We strongly suggest that you stay away from using aol, yahoo, msn, and hotmail accounts. Sometimes the mail server blocks the emails from our server. As a result you will not receive any notifications including the confirmation email.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.