Something Missing Around Engine? - Page 2
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

This is a discussion on Something Missing Around Engine? within the General Maintenance, Troubleshooting & Accidents. forums, part of the Tech & Modifying & General Repairs category; The cruise control has been removed, neither the cable nor the motor for it are there. Looks like a lot ...

I Support ClubWRX I Support ClubWRX
    The cruise control has been removed, neither the cable nor the motor for it are there. Looks like a lot of missing parts, but hopefully nothing crucial. For what it's worth, my car has no windshield washer or cruise control and I rarely miss them.

I would be very weary of that car though. Since the previous engine blew, then they're selling it 6,000 miles after replacing the engine, either they just realized that a modded car like that isn't reliable, or they had an idea that the same thing was going to happen to the new engine and wanted to get rid of it before it blew again.

2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements

well damn..u guys are starting to scare me haha,,,i havent heard any bad news like this from no one..but i will take that into consideration..should i take it to a subaru dealer? or to just any shop?..and would they be able to know if the engine will blow up again like u say?

I Support ClubWRX
    Quote Originally Posted by Chicago1017 View Post
    oh ok ill go get the windshield fluid checked out.....and damn..hopefully i doesnt mess up...but the upgrades..that i was told it had,,was a bigger turbo, 20g....stage 2 clutch..3" exhaust, and i believe he also said that it was tuned and it made 292 hp at 11psi..
    I believe you about the parts listed, but the previous owner took a very...unconventional... mod path. I have never seen any aftermarket turbo setup leave the stock intercooler installed, let alone a 20G. As Anub1s stated, that turbo at that low of boost isn't good. The other things like the exhaust comprise what's generally agreed upon in the Subaru community as a "Stage II" setup. That is, an aftermarket downpipe, catback exhaust, and a tune.

That turbo is my biggest concern. That's a big turbo for the 2.0L engine period, let alone one using stock parts. You need larger injectors, a larger fuel pump, larger intercooler, and a good tuner to effectively utilize that setup.

Either way, you've got some detective work ahead of you, and we're here for ya as much as we can help. Take as many pictures as you can get of that turbo and the tubes connected to it. That will help us identify it for sure, and see what sort of boost control it has. From your username, I'm going to take a wild guess and say you're from Chicago.

Anyone on here know any good Subaru tuning shops in Georgia?
    Last edited by Rambo; 05-20-2012 at 09:22 PM.
    Isaac -- 2003 WRX sedan Stg II - Gave its life for mine 6/2013.
    2007 Outback 3.0R wagon
    Proud owner of a N.E.R.D, Member 1.3810-23

He who shall be last, shall be sideways and smiling... - Jeremy Clarkson

oh ok i will take some pictures tomorw..but the turbo is a TD06-20G....and nah i was born there but im in ga..the car came from tenessee thoug..and the rebuild was done at EDGE automotive perfomance and repair

Quote Originally Posted by Chicago1017 View Post
    ..should i take it to a subaru dealer? or to just any shop?..and would they be able to know if the engine will blow up again like u say?

Most dealerships and most regular mechanic shops aren't going to know squat about modified cars and proper tuning on Subarus. You need to take the car to a reputable Subaru specific performance shop/tuner.

doa
    A 20g with no supporting mods??? I highly doubt this guy even had it tuned. Probably installed the 20g with a mbc and ran low boost in fear of breaking something thinking he would be safe. I would not drive that car 1 more mile until you have it back to stock or find out exactly what is in it and have it tuned. Pick up a stock used turbo,solenoid and start there.

zax
    Quote Originally Posted by doa View Post
    A 20g with no supporting mods??? I highly doubt this guy even had it tuned. Probably installed the 20g with a mbc and ran low boost in fear of breaking something thinking he would be safe. I would not drive that car 1 more mile until you have it back to stock or find out exactly what is in it and have it tuned. Pick up a stock used turbo,solenoid and start there.
    This.

Also a TD06 hot side is incorrectly matched to a 2.0L motor.
    2015 CWP WRX STi ... But how did I get roped back into an EJ motor?!
    Zax's utterly unimaginably stock 2015 STi build thread
    Zax's Shaggin' Wagon Build Thread Now tuned for 99% pure Unicorn Jizz!

Zach | Moderator -- Mid-Atlantic States, Tech & Modifying & General Repairs
    Rollin' with the Bugeye Mafia #302 | N.E.R.D. Subject Zero
    Facebook me here

Your Mid-A local board: http://www.clubwrx.net/forums/mid-atlantic-states/

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12