timing belt/water pump questions

This is a discussion on timing belt/water pump questions within the General Maintenance, Troubleshooting & Accidents. forums, part of the Tech & Modifying & General Repairs category; hey i just picked up an 02 wrx wagon all stock, im about to do the water pump/timing belt. but ...

timing belt/water pump questions

hey i just picked up an 02 wrx wagon all stock, im about to do the water pump/timing belt. but i have a couple of questions, is this something i can do on my own? is there anything else i should be doing while i have it torn apart? and where do i get the best replacement parts for it?
    any suggestions are appreciated, also looking to start modding but not sure where to begin? anythoughts
    thanks

2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements

I Support ClubWRX
    I DIYed it along with the timing belt and all cam seals plus crank seal thanks to crucial help from members on this forum.

Search for a Gates full ting kit but buy authentic Subaru timing belt gasket, thermostat gasket, cam seals, crank seal, and thermostat gasket.

See the link in my signature for mod info. Search for timing belt DIY threads here.
    WRX Info Links, Courtesy TheJ
    Man is a brute.... If you're cruel to him, he respects and fears you. If you're kind to him, he plucks your eyes out. Alexis Zorbas
    I lied. I cheated. I bribed men to cover the crimes of other men. I am an accessory to murder. But the most damning thing of all... I think I can live with it. And if I had to do it all over again - I would. Benjamin Sisko
    DISCLAIMER: Opinions expressed are the author's alone and are inherently worthless.

I did mine about a month ago and I did timing belt, thermostat, waterpump, waterpump gasket, pulleys, tensioner pulley. I didn't do cam seals or crank seal. damn! I don't even know what those are.

I Support ClubWRX
    The seals are round spring loaded hard rubber pieces that fit around each cam and the crank, to allow spinning without oil loss. You'd have known if your seals needed attention because you'd have seen an oil leak. Mine were fine despite CA hot weather and 115k miles, but we did them anyway because I have not sold a car in over a decade; I keep them until they completely disintegrate so preventative maintenance sometimes makes more sense.
    WRX Info Links, Courtesy TheJ
    Man is a brute.... If you're cruel to him, he respects and fears you. If you're kind to him, he plucks your eyes out. Alexis Zorbas
    I lied. I cheated. I bribed men to cover the crimes of other men. I am an accessory to murder. But the most damning thing of all... I think I can live with it. And if I had to do it all over again - I would. Benjamin Sisko
    DISCLAIMER: Opinions expressed are the author's alone and are inherently worthless.