2008 Subaru Impreza WRX - Vibration / Rear Diff? Help!

This is a discussion on 2008 Subaru Impreza WRX - Vibration / Rear Diff? Help! within the General Maintenance, Troubleshooting & Accidents. forums, part of the Tech & Modifying & General Repairs category; Hi Everyone, Im very new to the Subaru world and I love it. I recently purchased a 2008 Subaru Impreza ...

2008 Subaru Impreza WRX - Vibration / Rear Diff? Help!

Hi Everyone,

Im very new to the Subaru world and I love it.

I recently purchased a 2008 Subaru Impreza WRX that had only 29,000 miles on it. I have put 1000 miles on it and just the other day my fiance was driving on the highway at about 65 miles an hour and the car started vibrating almost as if there was a flat tire. He pulled over and the car was fine. He started again and the car did it a couple more times then nothing. He arrived to pick me up and let he car cool down for 1 minute. When I was walking towards the car it smelled like clutch. He swore to me that he did not beat on it. When I was in the car and he started pulling away, he went into 2nd gear the car started vibrating, he went into 3rd it kept vibrating. I got nervous because I've been driving it for weeks and it never did that. When we reached our destination, I smelled that same smell but coming from the rear and this time it was more of a metal burning smell

I was wondering if anyone knew what this was?.

I was told that the WRX still being so young is not meant to be beated on. But my fiance swears he did not beat on it.

I've been driving it and since Im still learning manual, Im not really going fast, Im just driving normal.

Apparently I was told to drive it carefully untill the rear diff fluid breaks in. Is this true? Or should I just let subaru warranty deal with it?

Can anyone help?

Thanks! Hope to hear from you soon!!

2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements

I Support ClubWRX
    Aren't you past the new car 3 year/36k mile warranty period?
    T0ny
    2011 WRX
    2012 FXT

The Big 2011/2012 Mod Thread

Ooh,hang on. That is the throb of a turbocharged flat four engine. A sound which,all over the world,heralds the imminent arrival of a moron - JC.

I bought the car pre-owned certified by All American Ford and Subaru and I purchased an extended warranty with it. Just wanted to see if this happened to anyone else.
    Last edited by AmorosaWRX; 05-14-2012 at 11:49 AM.

I Support ClubWRX
    well if it is still under warranty,take it in.
    T0ny
    2011 WRX
    2012 FXT

The Big 2011/2012 Mod Thread

Ooh,hang on. That is the throb of a turbocharged flat four engine. A sound which,all over the world,heralds the imminent arrival of a moron - JC.

yep, take it in. No sense in speculating what it might be if its going to be a warranty job.
    OBP 2010 5dr *traded*
    SWP 2013 FRS
    My name is Shawn, I'm a Devout Practicalist and I'm addicted to flat4's
    This page has had 1,666 visits
    SUCH IS MANGO!

the problem is the dealer is over 100 miles or so away. and i dont want here to f anyhting up. we could go to another dealer but we are still in the 30 warranty from the seller dealer so i was just trying to find out what would the problem. cause if we go to a differnt dealer theres a diag charge to look at it.

dunno if it happened to anyone else and if it did what it could be.

i have a 08 sti and if i overheat my diff (i think thats what it may be on her car) i got something that tells me that. the wrx dont which is weird.
    Last edited by Sti43; 05-15-2012 at 05:07 AM.

call them and see if you can arrange to have the car towed?

diag fee? if its a subaru certed pre-owned vehicle isn't the extended warranty through subaru? There shouldn't be any diag fee's if its a subaru backed warranty.

Diff wont overheat with normal driving. I'm wondering if there is a problem with the vdc engaging the rear brakes.. or if the center diff has issues.
    OBP 2010 5dr *traded*
    SWP 2013 FRS
    SUCH IS MANGO!

NAH they wont roadside will tow it to the dealer here since its a shoter dist.
    i work for a honda dealer so i know about the warranty parts doesnt matter if it certe or extended warrey theres still a diag fee. (yes it is a subaru warranty) till they look at it.
    that i dunno, rear brakes seem fine only thing ive looks at since i dont want to be blamed to taking other **** out or anything.
    and i happenes when driving, think it went away when i was braking.

Quote Originally Posted by mangostick View Post
    call them and see if you can arrange to have the car towed?

diag fee? if its a subaru certed pre-owned vehicle isn't the extended warranty through subaru? There shouldn't be any diag fee's if its a subaru backed warranty.

Diff wont overheat with normal driving. I'm wondering if there is a problem with the vdc engaging the rear brakes.. or if the center diff has issues.

thanks for the replay btw....

looks like you guys are going to have to suck up a diag fee. Is it refundable upon finding warranty covered failure?
    OBP 2010 5dr *traded*
    SWP 2013 FRS
    SUCH IS MANGO!

if it is covered under warranty then we dont have to pay a diag fee.
    But the thing is also it hasnt happened since this weekend which we did do alot of driving that day. she mainly drive the car local 5 miles to work then home. i dunno ill prob have to but just checking first to see if any of u guys had a problem like this. its weird..