My review of AMSoil tranny fluid change
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

This is a discussion on My review of AMSoil tranny fluid change within the General Maintenance, Troubleshooting & Accidents. forums, part of the Tech & Modifying & General Repairs category; Out of my last 2 Evo's and my 370z that I had. I always used Amsoil. For me, it's the ...

My review of AMSoil tranny fluid change

Out of my last 2 Evo's and my 370z that I had. I always used Amsoil. For me, it's the best... everyone has their opinion though.

I let a tranny break in for about 2500 miles and then switch to the Amsoil.

After going to Lowes, autozone and then calling Advance auto who had the huge T70 Torx socket I needed, I went to a local shop that stocks the Amsoil 75w90 Severe gear, got 4 quarts of it and went home and went to work.

Draining was easy. I didn't even have to jack the car up, though it might have been a bit easier. The OE fluid was still clean and there was of course some metal particles on the magnet, but nothing that wasn't just break in stuff. I added in the correct amount of fluid and was anxious to see how the car felt.

I went out and let everything get warmed up. The shifting wasn't some huge difference as far as being smooth, thought it was a bit smoother. However, the shifting is SO much more direct. It's hard to explain. I had my friend also drive the car and he felt the same way as well. The gears just seem to know where to go with this fluid if you know what I mean. Reverse lock out wasn't totally solved... though it does have the issue much less that before.

It's worth the piece of mind for me to have good fluids in my car no matter what brand one happens to go with. I would recommend it to anyone who has been wondering about it.

2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements

Did you do any sort of research on this as it pertains to putting different tranny fluids in a Subaru? They tend to be very finicky with anything other than OEM and a couple of other specific brands. The Amsoil fluid is not one of those...
    Scott
    Past Subies - '11 STI Limited stage 1+ and '04 STi stage 2+
    '13 Wrangler Rubicon - custom front bumper w/12k lb winch & off-road lights, skid plates, diff guards, etc.
    '04 Porsche 911 Turbo GT2 clone 600 HP/TQ
    '77 F-150 heavily modded for off-roading

I Support ClubWRX
    I will gladly read a follow up review you write in a year or in 20k with that fluid.

Did you see the gear oil thread? There are data in there too that you will find interesting I think.
    WRX Info Links, Courtesy TheJ
    The world breaks everyone and afterward many are strong in the broken places. Ernest Hemingway
    I lied. I cheated. I bribed men to cover the crimes of other men. I am an accessory to murder. But the most damning thing of all... I think I can live with it. And if I had to do it all over again - I would. Benjamin Sisko
    DISCLAIMER: Opinions expressed are the author's alone and are inherently worthless.

Admiral Ackbar the 1st mycologist's Avatar
    I Support ClubWRX
    Subaru Extra S or regular dino are the only things I'd use.

Here is the summary from the super long gear oil thread:

Quote Originally Posted by 06wrx4me View Post
    Now at page 24 we have come to some conclusions:

* We've decided Uncle Scotty's cocktail shifts nice for a while but breaks down really fast and needs really short change intervals.
    --Also don't think syncromesh needs to be in the blend
    --There is also concern it may cause extra wear

* Redline Lightweight Shockproof works well in the 5MT but not the STI trans (slinger lubrication versus pump)
    --Seems to work just as well straight as mixed

* Straight Severe Gear 75w90 from Amsoil is not good in cold weather, but works well when mixed with shockproof

* SD_GR still loves his Valvoline conventional 75w90

* Subaru Extra S is the greatest gear oil to put in a stock Subaru
    --It works well for a long time, shifts great, but is not sold in the quart. Its sold in the 5 gal drum, but many Subi tuners and dealer have it

FWIW Redline 75w90NS is what you'd run in the 5MT, but in non-mixed form it hasn't netted near the result of the Extra-S. Don't use MT90.
    Last edited by mycologist; 05-13-2012 at 04:48 AM.
    "From a little spark may burst a mighty flame." - Dante
    "The stitch is lost unless the thread is knotted." - Italian proverb

Good news, everyone! xxxxxxxAnub1s's Avatar
    I Support ClubWRX
    Definitely revisit this thread in a few weeks. If you have an experience anything like mine, it feels nice when you first put it in, but that's pretty much chalked up to just being different. Then you quickly realize it's crap. Amsoil was by far the worst fluid I've used in any of my vehicles. My friends Mustang GT has the same problem mine did, BTW, so I at least know it wasn't just me.

I switched to Motul, and it's like butter again. I hope you have a good experience, but I'm betting against it.
    Cody
    Hawk-Eye Alliance #727 N.E.R.D #255.255.255.0

Your nighttime volunteer of near-useless information.
    Good news, everyone!

Quote Originally Posted by teflon_jones View Post
    Did you do any sort of research on this as it pertains to putting different tranny fluids in a Subaru? They tend to be very finicky with anything other than OEM and a couple of other specific brands. The Amsoil fluid is not one of those...
    Research in my own personal experience. It feels good to me and there's a few hundred miles on it now so we'll see how it goes I suppose.

Quote Originally Posted by SD_GR View Post
    I will gladly read a follow up review you write in a year or in 20k with that fluid.

Did you see the gear oil thread? There are data in there too that you will find interesting I think.
    I've done a little searching.. I didn't see any major issues with the AMSoil... for the record however, the fluid will never see 20k. I change it usually once every year. Better to over do it IMO.

I Support ClubWRX
    See the gear oil thread. If you don't keep it the full interval though it gets to be too much hassle and cost for my tastes. I go 30k at least and shop by price (regular Valvoline). So did my dealer last I asked.
    WRX Info Links, Courtesy TheJ
    The world breaks everyone and afterward many are strong in the broken places. Ernest Hemingway
    I lied. I cheated. I bribed men to cover the crimes of other men. I am an accessory to murder. But the most damning thing of all... I think I can live with it. And if I had to do it all over again - I would. Benjamin Sisko
    DISCLAIMER: Opinions expressed are the author's alone and are inherently worthless.

Quote Originally Posted by SD_GR View Post
    See the gear oil thread. If you don't keep it the full interval though it gets to be too much hassle and cost for my tastes. I go 30k at least and shop by price (regular Valvoline). So did my dealer last I asked.
    Yeah, i'll take a look at it, I don't mind spending the extra money on changing it a bit more often myself... but to some it is a hassle yes. I would rather do that and know the fluid is always fresh though.

Quote Originally Posted by Anub1s View Post
    Definitely revisit this thread in a few weeks. If you have an experience anything like mine, it feels nice when you first put it in, but that's pretty much chalked up to just being different. Then you quickly realize it's crap. Amsoil was by far the worst fluid I've used in any of my vehicles. My friends Mustang GT has the same problem mine did, BTW, so I at least know it wasn't just me.

I switched to Motul, and it's like butter again. I hope you have a good experience, but I'm betting against it.
    Sorry about the experience you had with it man... who knows why so many people can try the same thing with different results. I chose the AMSoil because my last 2 cars I have used it in and the mileage was improved, shifting was improved, and as I had stated, the shifting was more direct as well. It's only been 200 miles I think now so we'll see if it's a good experience for me or not. I'm not rough on the car and don't track it so maybe that's the reason I haven't had any issues in the past with any other cars. IDK. As I said we'll find out.

I've gone through a lot of the posts on the tranny fluid thread though and it seems like more use the extra S. I don't see any overwheling evidence save for the above statement that the SVG 75w-90 is in any way a bad fluid or that it's any less than any others.

Good news, everyone! xxxxxxxAnub1s's Avatar
    I Support ClubWRX
    It is what it is dude. I don't want to say that Amsoil is a bad product, it isn't, and many people use it with good results. I point out my experience though, to at least give people something to think about. Some will stick to one product line and use it no matter the circumstance or what the results are, and often REFUSE to see actual results of the product. Case in point, my friend with the Mustang GT I mentioned above, he LOVES Amsoil and swears his gearbox shifts smooth as glass. It's the notchiest tranmission I've ever driven, and it grinds going into third now, but he still thinks it's just fine.

Now, that isn't to say that it's the fault of the Amsoil change, it could very well be a result of how he drives it, but it goes to show that people who walk the product line can be mislead by their own prejudice.

I think Amsoil makes a good product, but it isn't going to work in every application, obviously, that's all I wanted to point out. Again, I hope nothing but the best for you or anyone who uses it, just want them to keep a watchful eye and open ear.
    Cody
    Hawk-Eye Alliance #727 N.E.R.D #255.255.255.0

Your nighttime volunteer of near-useless information.
    Good news, everyone!

Quote Originally Posted by Anub1s View Post
    It is what it is dude. I don't want to say that Amsoil is a bad product, it isn't, and many people use it with good results. I point out my experience though, to at least give people something to think about. Some will stick to one product line and use it no matter the circumstance or what the results are, and often REFUSE to see actual results of the product. Case in point, my friend with the Mustang GT I mentioned above, he LOVES Amsoil and swears his gearbox shifts smooth as glass. It's the notchiest tranmission I've ever driven, and it grinds going into third now, but he still thinks it's just fine.

Now, that isn't to say that it's the fault of the Amsoil change, it could very well be a result of how he drives it, but it goes to show that people who walk the product line can be mislead by their own prejudice.

I think Amsoil makes a good product, but it isn't going to work in every application, obviously, that's all I wanted to point out. Again, I hope nothing but the best for you or anyone who uses it, just want them to keep a watchful eye and open ear.

If I feel or hear any issues it will come right out.. i'm not that stuck to a product line lol.

I Support ClubWRX I Support ClubWRX
    I've ran four different gear oils in my to WRXs, the regular Subaru stuff, Red Line, Subaru Extra S, and Amsoil. The regular Subaru dyno oil was okay, but I definitely noticed an improvement switching from that to Red Line in my first Impreza, never had a problem with Red Line for the last 60k miles I ran it in that car. My second WRX had Subaru dyno oil in it when I bought it. I had that changed at the dealership with Subaru Extra S. For me that was by far the worst of the bunch. Lots of grinding when changing gears.. I would have to hold the clutch in for at least a full second with the car in neutral before easing it into the next gear. It was like the syncros did not engage properly. After about 10k miles I got tired of the grinding and slow gear change and switched to Amsoil. I have ran Amsiol gear oil for the last 20k miles and I can't tell the difference between it and the Red Line I ran in my old car. No issues with the Amsoil at all, gear selection is smooth as cam be expected for a 5mt.

Admiral Ackbar the 1st mycologist's Avatar
    I Support ClubWRX
    ^Ug, that is the first bad read I'v had on the extra-S.

Oh well, that still leaves the valvoline dino, which I have had zero complaints with for the last 25K miles.
    "From a little spark may burst a mighty flame." - Dante
    "The stitch is lost unless the thread is knotted." - Italian proverb

I Support ClubWRX I Support ClubWRX
    Quote Originally Posted by mycologist View Post
    ^Ug, that is the first bad read I'v had on the extra-S.

Oh well, that still leaves the valvoline dino, which I have had zero complaints with for the last 25K miles.

Honestly, I can't be certain it was actually extra-s because I had the dealership do that change. I told them I wanted synthetic, and they billed me for it. Whatever was in there was not good with my transmission.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast