2002 wrx does not start when warm - Page 2
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

This is a discussion on 2002 wrx does not start when warm within the General Maintenance, Troubleshooting & Accidents. forums, part of the Tech & Modifying & General Repairs category; On a tangentially related side note, my younger brother used to have a nitromethane powered rc car that would start ...

On a tangentially related side note, my younger brother used to have a nitromethane powered rc car that would start when cold, but would not start again when hot after stalling. Our best diagnosis was that the piston sleeve was not sealing well to the piston. When the engine was cold there was just enough compression to start, but after warming, due to differences in thermal expansion, there was not enough compression to run.

I wonder if your compression and leakdown change with temperature.
    David - '05 WRX

2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements

I Support ClubWRX I Support ClubWRX
    Quote Originally Posted by Obeisance View Post
    On a tangentially related side note, my younger brother used to have a nitromethane powered rc car that would start when cold, but would not start again when hot after stalling. Our best diagnosis was that the piston sleeve was not sealing well to the piston. When the engine was cold there was just enough compression to start, but after warming, due to differences in thermal expansion, there was not enough compression to run.

I wonder if your compression and leakdown change with temperature.

It does change, that's why you're always supposed to do compression test on a warm engine. Tolerances are looser on a cold engine, so if you did a compression test while cold you would get lower numbers than if you did it warm.

I Support ClubWRX I Support ClubWRX
    Quote Originally Posted by jonerbob View Post
    I have tried that it does not work. I also noticed I am getting around 13 mpg too.

Have you logged the car? Is your O2 sensor working properly? If you're getting that bad fuel economy I want to know what your AFR looks like.. when you changed the plugs were they black (did all four look the same--can you post pictures)? Do you have excessive suit on your tail pipe?

Dumping too much fuel will cause it to not start when warm because it will flood the engine. You might have a failing injector that is sticking open.. or even a failing FPR. I think we're getting somewhere now..

Heated front o2 sensor?

I am having the almost identical problem and i have heard several things to try but im interested to know if you were able to fix it and what "it" was causing the issue if you could message me that would be great

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12