Does weather really make this much of a difference in performance? - Page 3
+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

This is a discussion on Does weather really make this much of a difference in performance? within the General Maintenance, Troubleshooting & Accidents. forums, part of the Tech & Modifying & General Repairs category; Originally Posted by wrxdrvr Well Excuse me... But IAT do effect how the ECU deals with timing, I believe 126*F ...

I Support ClubWRX
    Quote Originally Posted by wrxdrvr
    Well Excuse me... But IAT do effect how the ECU deals with timing, I believe 126*F or so the ECU starts to retard timing so you loose power... No? As for saying that I got rid of heat-soak, well YES, I DID, even with a TMIC so I do not have to deal with it any more... I guess the bad advice could be linked to the fact that I didn't explain how I did it...
    You realize that any modification to the TMIC you make has no impact on the ECU IAT compensation tables, right?
    2005 WRX STi (Mods | Virtual Dyno)

Resident Tuner @ WTF Tuning

"Never trust anything that bleeds for a week and lives ..."

UNYSOC

2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements

Quote Originally Posted by etnpnys View Post
    I'm asking!! Clear the air, please!!

EDIT: Read your profile. A water sprayer? Really? How and where?
    I can keep my TMIC within 13*F of ambient when parked for 15 minutes and below ambient when driving in the city, I can also keep the IAT at MAF sensor about 40*F to 50*F colder than normally with stock set up... Bla bla bla... STi Mods pictures by wrxdrvr - Photobucket
    '02 WRX 4EAT, 311,000KMs/194,500Miles, Sold. Best car I ever had. '09 STi stage 1, hope this one will be good too...

I have some ACTUAL, IAT out of turbo and INTO throttle temps, for those interested in how ambient temperatures effect the TMIC and IAT into throttle, for my '02 WRX stage 2, with stock set up and my stock set up...

-4*F ambient stock set up;
    169.9*F into TMIC
    39.7*F out of TMIC
    13.2*F TMIC core 78% efficient

32*F ambient stock set up;
    207.8*F into TMIC
    72.5*F out of TMIC
    45.3*F TMIC core 77% efficient

77*F ambient stock set up;
    223.*F into TMIC
    136*F out of TMIC
    86*F TMIC core 59% efficient

77*F ambient stock but my set up
    226.*F into TMIC
    99*F out of TMIC
    77*F TMIC core 85% efficient

96*F ambient stock but my set up
    253*F into TMIC
    118*F out of TMIC
    96*F TMIC core 86% efficient

As can be seen the warmer it is the better my set up works...

Parked for 15 minutes 77*F ambient day;

149*F+ TMIC core stock set up
    83*F TMIC core stock but my set up...
    Last edited by wrxdrvr; 05-12-2012 at 09:55 PM.
    '02 WRX 4EAT, 311,000KMs/194,500Miles, Sold. Best car I ever had. '09 STi stage 1, hope this one will be good too...

K now my ears are perked up.. we know the easy way to relieve heat soak is with heat shielding on the hot parts.. turbo wrap, blankets. etc. We also know that water/alky spray onto the intercooler works really well to super cool the core and keep ineffieincy at bay. Your numbers here show that quite well. What you're numbers also show backs my point that without help, you cannot get a air/air cooler below ambient temp. Or any cooler below the temp of the substrate that flows over it. Be it water/air/nutsweat.. lol.. its only going to get as cool as the environment around it unless assisted by other means. (aka.. water alky mix evaporating off core surface enhancing core efficiency)

But the underlying question to the thread was if weather could affect the car's performance. Simple answer, yep.. it does. And thats normal.

My statement about iat and heatsoak are still accurate. Once you heatsoak a heat exchanger it is very hard to bring it back to a working condition let alone an efficiently working condition. True heat soak condition entails that the cooler can no longer absorb any more heat energy. At that point, it has stopped working and you might has well have a pipe directly from turbo to throttle body.

Personally I think the "heat soak" term is thrown around too loosely because on modern street prepped turbo cars true "heat soak" isn't achieved under normal street driving else we'd never be able to cool the intake charge at all once reaching that point. There's also the point of view from emissions because warm charge atomizes better and creates less emissions, backing off timing also helps to keep combustion cooler reduce nox emissions. It all plays together but we're straying from the original question asked.

What we do certainly have is an increasing inefficiency as the cooler warms AND as ambient temp rises. Its right there in the numbers. That proves weather vs performance.

the fmic vs tmic debate though.... man that's so much more complicated and brings so many more factors into play that we'd seriously derail the thread just breaching the topic.
    Last edited by mangostick; 05-13-2012 at 10:38 AM.
    OBP 2010 5dr *traded*
    SWP 2013 FRS
    My name is Shawn, I'm a Devout Practicalist and I'm addicted to flat4's
    This page has had 1,666 visits
    SUCH IS MANGO!

I guess what I should have said originally was, yes hotter temps do effect how the car responds, but not on MY car, not any more...

As for the inefficiency increase, 1; I guess I just look at it differently, as my TMIC set up actually INCREASED it's efficiency, the hotter the days got... Because of all the things I did to get rid of heat-soak. As can be seen with totaly stock set up the numbers show lower and lower the TMIC efficiency dropped, the hotter it got, (and it probably would have been down to 50% or less by the time the temps got to 96*F ambient) instead of the 86% efficiency I got with stock TMIC, but set up MY WAY...

As for the inefficiency thing, 2; yes, the output of the engine WOULD drop on a 77*F ambient day, if, it was tuned on a -4*F ambient day... But what really happens is that engine doesn't make more CHP (that it could, if it was tuned for it) on the colder days, if it was tuned on a hot day... That's the way I see it.
    Last edited by wrxdrvr; 05-13-2012 at 03:00 PM.

cant argue that. Just by the numbers whatever you've done is working quite well.
    OBP 2010 5dr *traded*
    SWP 2013 FRS
    My name is Shawn, I'm a Devout Practicalist and I'm addicted to flat4's
    This page has had 1,666 visits
    SUCH IS MANGO!

What about a fan bolted to the bottom of the TMIC? That might just affect performance at really low speeds -- at which point the turbo hasn't even kicked in -- but it may also blow the hot air down and away.

Thoughts?
    "Ah, it is the fault of our science that it wants to explain all; and if it explain not, then it says there is nothing to explain."
    -Van Helsing, from Bram Stoker's ​Dracula

I Support ClubWRX
    Fans were tried long ago. I've never seen one in the wild.
    WRX Info Links, Courtesy TheJ
    Man is a brute.... If you're cruel to him, he respects and fears you. If you're kind to him, he plucks your eyes out. Alexis Zorbas
    I lied. I cheated. I bribed men to cover the crimes of other men. I am an accessory to murder. But the most damning thing of all... I think I can live with it. And if I had to do it all over again - I would. Benjamin Sisko
    DISCLAIMER: Opinions expressed are the author's alone and are inherently worthless.

Quote Originally Posted by SD_GR View Post
    Well it must be wildly successful then, right? haha

Thanx again everybody!
    "Ah, it is the fault of our science that it wants to explain all; and if it explain not, then it says there is nothing to explain."
    -Van Helsing, from Bram Stoker's ​Dracula

I Support ClubWRX
    Quote Originally Posted by SD_GR View Post
    Toyota put a fan behind the side mount intercooler on MR2 Turbos with good results. Actually it is a popular mod on those cars to put a bigger fan on it to lower the temps. I don't really see where you would put it on a WRX though.
    -Clayton, Your official CLUBWRX Subaru Dealer!
    CLUBWRX New car buying program SAVE HUGE on new Subarus:
    http://www.clubwrx.net/forums/tri-st...ubwrx-net.html
    Ask a Subaru Dealer thread:
    http://www.clubwrx.net/forums/car-pu...ru-dealer.html
    FREE 3rd party vehicle inspections:
    http://www.clubwrx.net/forums/tri-st...spections.html

+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself. We strongly suggest that you stay away from using aol, yahoo, msn, and hotmail accounts. Sometimes the mail server blocks the emails from our server. As a result you will not receive any notifications including the confirmation email.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.