Dealership changing brakes
Page 1 of 9 123456789 LastLast

This is a discussion on Dealership changing brakes within the General Maintenance, Troubleshooting & Accidents. forums, part of the Tech & Modifying & General Repairs category; So today I'm goin to my dealership because I need new brakes and an oil change. I leave school at ...

Dealership changing brakes

So today I'm goin to my dealership because I need new brakes and an oil change. I leave school at 3 and explained I wouldnt be there until around 3:15, the service manager said, try and be there as soon as possible, tech's leave at 4. Anyhow, I'm leaving school early at 2...because ya know, my Sub is 10x more important then school... and my question is, how long does it take to put new brakes on and do an oil change? I remember last time I was there the car needed to sit about 45 min to cool down from the ride over before oil could be changed. Maybe they will do the brakes while they wait for it the oil to cool, but I just don't know! I just don't wanna get out of school at 2 and get home at 5!!

2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements

I Support ClubWRX
    Lol...there is no reason your car has to cool down for the oil to be changed. It's actually a quicker process if they change it while the oil is hot. That just comes from techs not wanting to get burnt.

Based on that fact your brakes will probably take until tomorrow to get done. Dealerships are so lazy sometimes.
    GTA:O ClubWRX Crew

My "Build" Thread!

2006 WRX TR
    Hawk-Eye Alliance #1856...ssshhh don't tell anyone!

I thought some oil stays up on the gears and it needs to wait to all drip down?

and til tomorrow??! Maneee wtf, I can't do another day witout my car, after that dumb body shop had it. I can't wait a day, Mite ride the brakes til they r **** and the resort to my E-brake. hahahahhaha (sarcasm obv)

You should only be getting pads done at your mileage, so they will probably charge an hour per axle where as in the real world, the hardest part about changing STI Brembo pads, is removing the wheel. Two clips off, knock out two pins, and bam, pad's out. New pads in, pins back, clips on, done. This is something you should have/could have done yourself after school for just the cost of cheaper parts. You could have each axle done in 15 minutes.

Changing oil is best done while the car is warm...its heated, so the viscosity is less, ergo it would drip back down into the oil pan quicker after it's been driven. There will always be some left on engine parts, but if you let it cool, it gets less viscous, and more likely to remain adhering to parts as opposed to dripping back down.
    The Hawk-Eye Alliance #90|The Blobeye Syndicate #0|The Stink-Eye Mob #0|N.E.R.D. Founding Member & #3
    2012 Lightning Red WRX Sedan Stock...for now Soon to be OpenSource tuned by: Mattypants @ WTF Tuning
    "If I have 10 ice cubes and you have 11 giraffes, how many pancakes can fit on the roof? Purple, because aliens donít wear hats" -Ying

Quote Originally Posted by Mikie13 View Post
    You should only be getting pads done at your mileage, so they will probably charge an hour per axle where as in the real world, the hardest part about changing STI Brembo pads, is removing the wheel. Two clips off, knock out two pins, and bam, pad's out. New pads in, pins back, clips on, done. This is something you should have/could have done yourself after school for just the cost of cheaper parts. You could have each axle done in 15 minutes.

Changing oil is best done while the car is warm...its heated, so the viscosity is less, ergo it would drip back down into the oil pan quicker after it's been driven. There will always be some left on engine parts, but if you let it cool, it gets less viscous, and more likely to remain adhering to parts as opposed to dripping back down.
    I'm only 17 and have absolutely no car knowledge, I'm too frightened to ruin my car/brakes and the get flamed for it, not to mention I still have my warrantee so I will wait until it's gone to start doing my own work.

ahh, understood about the engine oil. It makes sense now that I think about it. The only reason I said that is because I was told to change it while its cold and not after driving, I guess to reduce the risk of getting burnt.

So, I won't have to leave my car overnight?

I Support ClubWRX
    You shouldn't.

I was only going off the service guy telling you the techs leave at 4 and you saying they make you wait 45 minutes just to start changing the oil.

That means you'll leave school at 2...get there at like 2:15-2:30 I'm assuming. 45 minute wait puts you at 3:00-3:15. Oil change takes maybe 20 minutes at the most (and that is super slow). Now it's 3:20-3:35. Brakes will be like Mikie said, hopefully 15 minutes per axle 15x4 is an hour. At best you'll be leaving by 4:20:4:35. We can only hope it goes like this, but if the service guy was so adamant about the tech's leaving at 4 who know what will happen.

BTW, this is all speculation. We can't really say for sure how long it will take. Dealerships are notoriously slow though.
    GTA:O ClubWRX Crew

My "Build" Thread!

2006 WRX TR
    Hawk-Eye Alliance #1856...ssshhh don't tell anyone!

understood. Atleast my dealership is one of the coolest I've ever waited in. The waiting room wall is Plexiglass so the customers can look through into the service garage and their vehicle being worked on.

I was also worried about changing my pads...but its almost as stupidly simple as changing your oil. The only thing you need is something to push the pistons in. And if you do change them, dont forget to pump the brakes before you drive anywhere bc the fluid will need to be pumped back into the calipers.

Im sure there is a youtube video or writeup somewhere for this. If you dont need the brakes done right away, look into doing it yourself.
    Zach
    Teh Intern @ WTF Tuning, LLC

2009 WRB Subaru Wrx Sedan: WTF Tuning Stg2
    Stink eye Mob #287
    N.E.R.D. #43252003274489856000 (the total number of configurations of the Rubik cube)
    "It's not turbo-lag, it's foreplay"

I Support ClubWRX
    Quote Originally Posted by Mike193
    I'm only 17 and have absolutely no car knowledge, I'm too frightened to ruin my car/brakes and the get flamed for it, not to mention I still have my warrantee so I will wait until it's gone to start doing my own work.
    Doing pads (or any maintenance) should not impact your warranty. Just keep receipts for all purchases.

Like already mentioned, brake pads aren't that difficult. Rotors become a little more complicated since you have to remove the caliper, but even they aren't too bad if you just take your time.
    2005 WRX STi (Mods | Virtual Dyno)

Resident Tuner @ WTF Tuning, LLC

"Never trust anything that bleeds for a week and lives ..."

UNYSOC

I Support ClubWRX
    * * PART-OUT IN PROGRESS. SEE FIRST POST. EMAIL REASONABLE OFFERS TO GREG.LOKEY@GMAIL * *

Greg

Build Thread
    ProTuned Stage 3ish '11 WRX Ltd HB (SWP) ~ 354 awhp 404 ft-lb tq on E85
    Friends don't let friends drive Mitsubishis.

I Support ClubWRX
    Shouldnt take too long to change the pads and an oil change
    2011 Subaru WRX Premium
    1988 Ford Mustang GT
    2000 Jeep Wrangler TJ

So, didn't take too long, only about an hour. Then an extra 15 minutes because the young woman helping me lost my keys -__-. Anyhow, got a nice oil change, and didn't end up getting new brake pads. I have 2 millimeters left Subaru wanted 5 hundred + to put new pads on the car, instead I'm either figuring out how to do it, or my dad owns a telecommunications company and has a very close friend whos a mechanic fix all his work trucks, so if we send it there he always gives us a 25% discount. (He swapped my summers to winters and fixed a flat for no fee at all, just an honest hand shake.)

I Support ClubWRX
    Quote Originally Posted by Mike193
    I have 2 millimeters left Subaru wanted 5 hundred + to put new pads on the car, instead I'm either figuring out how to do it
    The OE pads are insanely expensive. Take this time to upgrade. StopTech pads aren't too expensive.
    2005 WRX STi (Mods | Virtual Dyno)

Resident Tuner @ WTF Tuning, LLC

"Never trust anything that bleeds for a week and lives ..."

UNYSOC

Quote Originally Posted by EJ257 View Post
    The OE pads are insanely expensive. Take this time to upgrade. StopTech pads aren't too expensive.
    This.

The OE pads, while decent, aren't the best out there, especially for that price. As Matt suggests, StopTech pads are a great budget alternative that perform well. Another great thing about aftermarket brake pads is that you can find some that give off much less brake dust. Hawk pads are also great pads (HPS and ceramics).
    The Hawk-Eye Alliance #90|The Blobeye Syndicate #0|The Stink-Eye Mob #0|N.E.R.D. Founding Member & #3
    2012 Lightning Red WRX Sedan Stock...for now Soon to be OpenSource tuned by: Mattypants @ WTF Tuning
    "If I have 10 ice cubes and you have 11 giraffes, how many pancakes can fit on the roof? Purple, because aliens donít wear hats" -Ying

So, I will take your advice and order some aftermarket pads. My question is, do I need to order them or are there carrier's who sell them local to Bergen County NJ?

Page 1 of 9 123456789 LastLast