Dealership changing brakes - Page 8
Page 8 of 9 FirstFirst 123456789 LastLast

This is a discussion on Dealership changing brakes within the General Maintenance, Troubleshooting & Accidents. forums, part of the Tech & Modifying & General Repairs category; Originally Posted by Mike193 Okay lets move on from this conundrum. Just spoke with the mechanic, supoosedly brake pads for ...

I Support ClubWRX
    Quote Originally Posted by Mike193
    Okay lets move on from this conundrum. Just spoke with the mechanic, supoosedly brake pads for my car from subaru run $500 alone. I also need new rotors which brings the total to $2,250. Well, what the eff. How could this be? This sounds so sideways. The mechanic does not want to put aftermarket parts on the car due to voiding the warantee (My first thought, the brakes don't have a warantee to begin with)
    KNS Brakes

Have someone familiar with cars come over and help you with the install. Buy pizza/wings for their time. If they're of age, have your parents buy them a 6er of good beer as well.
    2005 WRX STi (Mods | Virtual Dyno)

Resident Tuner @ WTF Tuning, LLC

"Never trust anything that bleeds for a week and lives ..."

UNYSOC

2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements

Quote Originally Posted by EJ257 View Post
    KNS Brakes

Have someone familiar with cars come over and help you with the install. Buy pizza/wings for their time. If they're of age, have your parents buy them a 6er of good beer as well.
    This.

yea, aftermarket wont void your warranty and brakes are a wearable item, which I think would negate them from that anyway (someone correct me if im wrong). I also cant imagine that unless you autoXed every mile of the 15k that your rotors would be that badly warped. I would take it somewhere else and DEF not get OEM pads, they are WAY too expensive when you compare them to decent/good aftermarket pads.

I think youre getting run around...
    Zach
    Teh Intern @ WTF Tuning, LLC

2009 WRB Subaru Wrx Sedan: WTF Tuning Stg2
    Stink eye Mob #287
    N.E.R.D. #43252003274489856000 (the total number of configurations of the Rubik cube)
    "It's not turbo-lag, it's foreplay"

I Support ClubWRX
    Seriously, where do you live, kid? There has got to be someone in the area who will spend a few hours helping you do a brake job.

UNYSOC

Ok, I can see pads being done around 15k on an STI in his geography...but rotors too??? No way...

I'd get a second opinion on that. Seriously have an independent shop or another Subaru dealer look at them now.

And is this for all 4 corners??? Though STI brakes can wear relatively quicker, the rears will last twice as long with stock parts. No way those should be worn at the same time as the fronts.
    The Hawk-Eye Alliance #90|The Blobeye Syndicate #0|The Stink-Eye Mob #0|N.E.R.D. Founding Member & #3
    2012 Lightning Red WRX Sedan Stock...for now Soon to be OpenSource tuned by: Mattypants @ WTF Tuning
    "If I have 10 ice cubes and you have 11 giraffes, how many pancakes can fit on the roof? Purple, because aliens don’t wear hats" -Ying

I Support ClubWRX
    $2250?!?!?! As others have said, **** that. Was this from your family's preferred mechanic? That's a pretty slimy quote, if you as me. The dealer quoted me $400 for pads and rotors all around for my car, and even that is high. I did it myself with performance parts for under $280-ish. For just pads, you're looking at well under $200.
    Isaac -- 2003 WRX sedan Stg II - Gave its life for mine 6/2013.
    2007 Outback 3.0R wagon
    Proud owner of a N.E.R.D, Member 1.38×10-23

He who shall be last, shall be sideways and smiling... - Jeremy Clarkson

I Support ClubWRX
    Quote Originally Posted by Rambo
    $2250?!?!?! As others have said, **** that. Was this from your family's preferred mechanic? That's a pretty slimy quote, if you as me. The dealer quoted me $400 for pads and rotors all around for my car, and even that is high. I did it myself with performance parts for under $280-ish. For just pads, you're looking at well under $200.
    OE Brembo components are $$

UNYSOC

zax
    I Support ClubWRX I Support ClubWRX
    Quote Originally Posted by Mike193 View Post
    Okay lets move on from this conundrum. Just spoke with the mechanic, supoosedly brake pads for my car from subaru run $500 alone. I also need new rotors which brings the total to $2,250. Well, what the eff. How could this be? This sounds so sideways. The mechanic does not want to put aftermarket parts on the car due to voiding the warantee (My first thought, the brakes don't have a warantee to begin with)
    That's not right dude. Changing pads and rotors is cake. Hawk HPS pads are like $120 for fronts and $70 for rears (RallySportDirect.com - Performance Car Parts Online), rotors are about $350 for a set of DBA4000 (DBA 4000 Series Drilled/Slotted Rotor Rear Subaru STI 2008-2012 at RallySportDirect.com). I can't imagine you'd need rear rotors at this point. That brings the total to $540. What you're telling me is that the mechanic is charging $1700 for labor?? Changing out pads and rotors should be no more than 1.5 hours (if you're a terrible mechanic) of labor. So the mechanic is charging $1200 an hour?? Insanity.
    2015 CWP WRX STi ... But how did I get roped back into an EJ motor?!
    Zax's utterly unimaginably stock 2015 STi build thread
    Zax's Shaggin' Wagon Build Thread Now tuned for 99% pure Unicorn Jizz!

Zach | Moderator -- Mid-Atlantic States, Tech & Modifying & General Repairs
    Rollin' with the Bugeye Mafia #302 | N.E.R.D. Subject Zero
    Facebook me here

Your Mid-A local board: http://www.clubwrx.net/forums/mid-atlantic-states/

I Support ClubWRX
    I just got all of my brakes upgraded for like $700. Slotted rotors, Hawk ceramic pads, Motul 600 fluid and Goodbridge stainless steel lines..

Granted I only have a WRX, but still. Aftermarket is the way to go. Adam (Kronos Performance) is having a brake group buy right now. Might as well get a discount while you still can.
    Last edited by michaelwfox; 05-14-2012 at 02:13 PM.
    GTA:O ClubWRX Crew

My "Build" Thread!

2006 WRX TR
    Hawk-Eye Alliance #1856...ssshhh don't tell anyone!

100% on all of the last 5 or 6 posts.... (this is nuts...)
    You can't have everything - where would you put it?

zax
    I Support ClubWRX I Support ClubWRX
    Quote Originally Posted by EJ257 View Post
    OE Brembo components are $$
    Ha, I can't wait to see how much my brake components cost...

Something tells me that it isn't going to be cheap.

Oh yay I see that they are on "sale" right now! Down to 1119 British Pounds from 1495 British pounds. What a "bargain" at $1900 USD.

prodrive
    2015 CWP WRX STi ... But how did I get roped back into an EJ motor?!
    Zax's utterly unimaginably stock 2015 STi build thread
    Zax's Shaggin' Wagon Build Thread Now tuned for 99% pure Unicorn Jizz!

Zach | Moderator -- Mid-Atlantic States, Tech & Modifying & General Repairs
    Rollin' with the Bugeye Mafia #302 | N.E.R.D. Subject Zero
    Facebook me here

Your Mid-A local board: http://www.clubwrx.net/forums/mid-atlantic-states/

My guess is the mechanic see's a 17 year old kid show up and is trying to take advantage of him. That price is crazy. Do it yourself, whoever is quoting you that price is shafting you big time.
    2012 DGM 5 DOOR WRX
    Mods: Stage 2+
    "I live my life a twelve year old at a time. For those ten seconds or less, I'm free."
    Official ClubWRX Creeper

The job is already being done. I will from now on do my own work. I like it more that way, I can see how the vehicle is being worked on, I can put exactly what I want on it, etc. As many of you may think I'm an idiot for this, I'm just beginning my hobby as a car enthusiast, and while getting into something we all fall through a loop hole sometime or another. I appreciate the advice. I now need to work on driving 2k miles so I can do my first oil change

The job is already being done. I will from now on do my own work. I like it more that way, I can see how the vehicle is being worked on, I can put exactly what I want on it, etc. As many of you may think I'm an idiot for this, I'm just beginning my hobby as a car enthusiast, and while getting into something we all fall through a loop hole sometime or another. I appreciate the advice. I now need to work on driving 2k miles so I can do my first oil change
    If you are paying that much I would demand a work invoice with a breakdown of costs. No way should it be anywhere near that.
    2012 DGM 5 DOOR WRX
    Mods: Stage 2+
    "I live my life a twelve year old at a time. For those ten seconds or less, I'm free."
    Official ClubWRX Creeper

The job is already being done.
    I'd be interested to know what parts they are using.