Dealership changing brakes - Page 4
+ Reply to Thread
Page 4 of 9 FirstFirst 123456789 LastLast
Results 46 to 60 of 130

This is a discussion on Dealership changing brakes within the General Maintenance, Troubleshooting & Accidents. forums, part of the Tech & Modifying & General Repairs category; oh, okay, thought I was beginning to be hated here again, damn, it sucked....

  1. #46
    Registered User Mike193's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2011
    Location
    North Jersey
    Posts
    966
    oh, okay, thought I was beginning to be hated here again, damn, it sucked.

  2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements
     

  3. #47
    Registered User Ingo's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2012
    Location
    Colorado Springs, CO
    Posts
    1,110
    Wasn't you.
    IT's the whole "young kid/new car/payed by dad" deal... Most of us have to earn our own, causes a bit of envy, I guess. When I was about 25, I drove a companye car, Merc280SL, and someone mistook it this way, I played that all the way to the hilt:" Yeah, everyone should have a decent car, and after all, I deserve it..." it was actually fun to play the playboy. My personal car at the time was a 2cyl 450cc Citroen, try and find out what that is!
    You can't have everything - where would you put it?

  4. #48
    Registered User Mike193's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2011
    Location
    North Jersey
    Posts
    966
    Quote Originally Posted by Ingo View Post
    Wasn't you.
    IT's the whole "young kid/new car/payed by dad" deal... Most of us have to earn our own, causes a bit of envy, I guess. When I was about 25, I drove a companye car, Merc280SL, and someone mistook it this way, I played that all the way to the hilt:" Yeah, everyone should have a decent car, and after all, I deserve it..." it was actually fun to play the playboy. My personal car at the time was a 2cyl 450cc Citroen, try and find out what that is!
    I had that mindset the first few months, and luckily I was smacked into shape on this forum, and when I blew my motor and my dad almost took the car for himself. I know luckily respect my car and enjoy it for what it truly is.

    As for the Citroen goes, as soon as I read the car name, I opened a 2nd tab for google images, before even reading 'try and found out what that is'

  5. #49
    Gold Member lokey's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2011
    Location
    Crofton, MD
    Posts
    2,177
    I Support ClubWRX
    Quote Originally Posted by Mike193 View Post
    I understand. I was abusing my car, I can admit that, but I have honestly and truly since relaxed. I respect what I was given and realize now how hard someone has to work for such nice items like this. I respect that I was lucky enough to be able to get a new car at 17. I understand all that now, and I an admit I did not before. I since changed and I'm now caring for my car a bunch better then I have been. I will not lie and say that I don't rev out 2nd gear or 3rd gear while getting on the parkway every now and then. But I truly have been treating my car a lot better and drive at acceptable speeds and in an acceptable manor now. I'm sorry that my past posts set a horrifying example of myself, but I'm really trying to change that and make everyone realize, that I'm really just a good kid, that wants to get into the whole car thing young and learn what I can, so that when I'm older I can hopefully be as knowledgeable as you guys. No beef between us man, I sure don't want you to have the idea that I'm a spoiled piece of crap, but please try and forget about my past posts and look at me with an open mind, and hopefully you won't have any grudges against me in the future, because I truly want to be a good member of the Subaru community, and want to own many of these cars in the future and frequent this forum for years to come.
    Well written, sir. Again, my apologies for being harsh and allowing my irritation to surface. Bye-gones.
    * * PART-OUT IN PROGRESS. SEE FIRST POST. EMAIL REASONABLE OFFERS TO GREG.LOKEY@GMAIL * *

    Greg

    Build Thread
    ProTuned Stage 3ish '11 WRX Ltd HB (SWP) ~ 354 awhp 404 ft-lb tq on E85
    Friends don't let friends drive Mitsubishis.

  6. #50
    Registered User Ingo's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2012
    Location
    Colorado Springs, CO
    Posts
    1,110
    BAck to the question at hand:
    I just replaced the rear pads, took about 30 min and was not in a hurry. After putting it on the jack, remove wheel. Push caliper apart by reaching in with screw driver and levering caliper to inside of car. You'll feel it give and open the space where the pads are. Unscrew the 2 14mm heads at the end of the rubber bellows. Take off caliper. Pull pads. Clean where pads ride. Put shimms on new pads back and add lube where they ride and back where pressure is applied. I also put a little under the shims. Place pads, put caliper back on. If bellows turn when srews are going back in use 17mm wrench to hold other side that wants to turn. Put wheel back on. START ENGINE AND APPLY BRAKE PEDAL SEVERAL TIMES. You'll feel long travel the first one or 2 pushes, then it goes back to normal. This is where you put the pistons back to the pads and make the brakes ready for operation.

    PS: the citroen was a 2cv, I just realized there where many different models. Dohh
    Last edited by Ingo; 05-14-2012 at 08:00 AM. Reason: PS
    You can't have everything - where would you put it?

  7. #51
    Gold Member lokey's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2011
    Location
    Crofton, MD
    Posts
    2,177
    I Support ClubWRX
    Quote Originally Posted by maus View Post
    - Rep
    * * PART-OUT IN PROGRESS. SEE FIRST POST. EMAIL REASONABLE OFFERS TO GREG.LOKEY@GMAIL * *

    Greg

    Build Thread
    ProTuned Stage 3ish '11 WRX Ltd HB (SWP) ~ 354 awhp 404 ft-lb tq on E85
    Friends don't let friends drive Mitsubishis.

  8. #52
    Moderator rage-wrx's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2010
    Location
    Yonkers/NYC
    Posts
    10,820
    I Support ClubWRX
    Quote Originally Posted by lokey View Post
    Well written, sir. Again, my apologies for being harsh and allowing my irritation to surface. Bye-gones.
    + rep.So that cancelled out.
    T0ny
    2011 WRX
    2012 FXT

    The Big 2011/2012 Mod Thread


    Ooh,hang on. That is the throb of a turbocharged flat four engine. A sound which,all over the world,heralds the imminent arrival of a moron - JC.

  9. #53
    Registered User Mike193's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2011
    Location
    North Jersey
    Posts
    966
    Quote Originally Posted by Ingo View Post
    BAck to the question at hand:
    I just replaced the rear pads, took about 30 min and was not in a hurry. After putting it on the jack, remove wheel. Push caliper apart by reaching in with screw driver and levering caliper to inside of car. You'll feel it give and open the space where the pads are. Unscrew the 2 14mm heads at the end of the rubber bellows. Take off caliper. Pull pads. Clean where pads ride. Put shimms on new pads back and add lube where they ride and back where pressure is applied. I also put a little under the shims. Place pads, put caliper back on. If bellows turn when srews are going back in use 17mm wrench to hold other side that wants to turn. Put wheel back on. START ENGINE AND APPLY BRAKE PEDAL SEVERAL TIMES. You'll feel long travel the first one or 2 pushes, then it goes back to normal. This is where you put the pistons back to the pads and make the brakes ready for operation.
    Thank you for input sir. I'm nervous to try it, but possibly next time I need to I will bring it to a meet and have some other people guide me. For this set, I'm bringing it to the shop after school today. Any ideas where I can grab some race ramps, and how much it will run me? (preferably cheapest place available, I don't want crap ramps because I will be underneath the car... but I don't have a big budget.)

  10. #54
    Registered User maus's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2012
    Location
    Palm Beach, FL
    Posts
    1,141
    Quote Originally Posted by rage-wrx View Post
    + rep.So that cancelled out.
    + Rep for rep blocking
    2012 DGM 5 DOOR WRX
    Mods: Stage 2+
    "I live my life a twelve year old at a time. For those ten seconds or less, I'm free."
    Official ClubWRX Creeper

  11. #55
    Gold Member lokey's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2011
    Location
    Crofton, MD
    Posts
    2,177
    I Support ClubWRX
    * * PART-OUT IN PROGRESS. SEE FIRST POST. EMAIL REASONABLE OFFERS TO GREG.LOKEY@GMAIL * *

    Greg

    Build Thread
    ProTuned Stage 3ish '11 WRX Ltd HB (SWP) ~ 354 awhp 404 ft-lb tq on E85
    Friends don't let friends drive Mitsubishis.

  12. #56
    Cheeky Bastage! spirited09wrx's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2009
    Location
    Dirty Jerz
    Posts
    2,718
    Quote Originally Posted by Mike193 View Post
    Thank you for input sir. I'm nervous to try it, but possibly next time I need to I will bring it to a meet and have some other people guide me. For this set, I'm bringing it to the shop after school today. Any ideas where I can grab some race ramps, and how much it will run me? (preferably cheapest place available, I don't want crap ramps because I will be underneath the car... but I don't have a big budget.)
    Harbor freight, pepboys, online, depends on your budget. Also, and you might have been combining two thoughts, you can't use ramps to do brakes.
    Zach
    Teh Intern @ WTF Tuning, LLC

    2009 WRB Subaru Wrx Sedan: WTF Tuning Stg2
    Stink eye Mob #287
    N.E.R.D. #43252003274489856000 (the total number of configurations of the Rubik cube)
    "It's not turbo-lag, it's foreplay"

  13. #57
    Moderator rage-wrx's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2010
    Location
    Yonkers/NYC
    Posts
    10,820
    I Support ClubWRX
    Quote Originally Posted by spirited09wrx View Post
    you can't use ramps to do brakes.
    You can't?Why not?
    T0ny
    2011 WRX
    2012 FXT

    The Big 2011/2012 Mod Thread


    Ooh,hang on. That is the throb of a turbocharged flat four engine. A sound which,all over the world,heralds the imminent arrival of a moron - JC.

  14. #58
    Registered User Mike193's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2011
    Location
    North Jersey
    Posts
    966
    Quote Originally Posted by spirited09wrx View Post
    Harbor freight, pepboys, online, depends on your budget. Also, and you might have been combining two thoughts, you can't use ramps to do brakes.
    I'm going to search right now for a nice pair of race ramps for a good price.

    And I'm aware brakes can't be done with them, because the tires need to come off haha but I will need them in the future for oil changes, when I get new exhaust, and I also was told any suspension work needs to be done under pressure (meaning the weight of the car needs to be on the tires, I'm guessing), and sway bars, and whatever else may be thrown my way. I have a hydraulic jack, so I'm assuming that can be used to do one tire at a time as a solution to not having jack stands for right now

  15. #59
    The Member michaelwfox's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2011
    Location
    North GA
    Posts
    3,545
    I Support ClubWRX
    Quote Originally Posted by rage-wrx View Post
    You can't?Why not?
    I think he meant you can't just use ramps alone. You could use the ramps then put the car on jack stands.
    GTA:O ClubWRX Crew

    My "Build" Thread!

    2006 WRX TR
    Hawk-Eye Alliance #1856...ssshhh don't tell anyone!

  16. #60
    Moderator rage-wrx's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2010
    Location
    Yonkers/NYC
    Posts
    10,820
    I Support ClubWRX
    Quote Originally Posted by michaelwfox View Post
    I think he meant you can't just use ramps alone. You could use the ramps then put the car on jack stands.
    I was trying to be funny
    T0ny
    2011 WRX
    2012 FXT

    The Big 2011/2012 Mod Thread


    Ooh,hang on. That is the throb of a turbocharged flat four engine. A sound which,all over the world,heralds the imminent arrival of a moron - JC.

+ Reply to Thread

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself. We strongly suggest that you stay away from using aol, yahoo, msn, and hotmail accounts. Sometimes the mail server blocks the emails from our server. As a result you will not receive any notifications including the confirmation email.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.


Posting Permissions

  • You may post new threads
  • You may post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •