Threw a misfire code on the way home yesterday. Should i be concerned?

This is a discussion on Threw a misfire code on the way home yesterday. Should i be concerned? within the General Maintenance, Troubleshooting & Accidents. forums, part of the Tech & Modifying & General Repairs category; I was in some traffic yesterday driving in "i" mode and when it opened up finally i put it in ...

I Support ClubWRX

Threw a misfire code on the way home yesterday. Should i be concerned?

I was in some traffic yesterday driving in "i" mode and when it opened up finally i put it in sharp to gain some speed to get to the lane i wanted to be in. 5th gear at about 60% throttle. After the lane changes i look down to notice that my cel was flashing along with the "s" mode light, and the traction control light stayed solid. At that point i start thinking the worst because ive been reading what goes on on this forum all before 10k miles and i thought it was my turn to see the dealer.

I then proceed with the hazards and battle my way to the emergency lane when all the warning lights just suddenly stopped blinking and everything seemed normal. Tried all 3 si drive modes, everything was fine. When i got home i hooked up the AP and saw the misfire code for cylinder 4. (p0304). Ive hit a dead end on what it could be, if its even something to lose sleep over.

Could it just be a system hiccup? I mean wtf happened?!?!

'12 sti. Cobb stage 1, no other mods. Chevron california piss water 91 octane. Elevation at the time was at around 800ft asl and climbing to 1400ft. About 400lbs of weight inside the car (passengers and cargo). 68* degrees F atmospheric temperature.

Help?
    '12 STi stage 2

Origin GT = impretzel
    Bf4

-JJ

2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements

Good news, everyone! xxxxxxxAnub1s's Avatar
    I Support ClubWRX
    Could be a simple case of bad gas, could be something serious. Time will tell on that one. Something you could do to put your mind at ease (or narrow down the issue) is to perform compression and leak down tests if you have the resources for it. They may be costly at a dealer or mechanic shop, so you'll have to weigh that one out for yourself.
    Cody
    Hawk-Eye Alliance #727 N.E.R.D #255.255.255.0

Your nighttime volunteer of near-useless information.
    Good news, everyone!

I Support ClubWRX
    Thanks for the info. I have access to a tester i just gotta bother my friend for it. These spark plugs look friggin buried lol. Until i get that done ill let it sit in the garage. Perhaps be a good idea to put the ecu back to stock for now?
    '12 STi stage 2

Origin GT = impretzel
    Bf4

-JJ

Quote Originally Posted by impretzel View Post
    These spark plugs look friggin buried lol. Until i get that done ill let it sit in the garage. Perhaps be a good idea to put the ecu back to stock for now?
    What do you mean the spark plugs look "buried"?

I don't see what point there is to do a compression and leakdown test on a new motor.

I don't see any point in setting it back to stock when you have no idea what caused the problem. I'd check your spark plugs and all of your turbo connections to make sure everything looks ok and there's no leaks, and your spark plugs are in good shape. As long as the car is working fine now and you check the items I mentioned, I wouldn't worry about it unless something happens again.
    Scott
    Past Subies - '11 STI Limited stage 1+ and '04 STi stage 2+
    '13 Wrangler Rubicon - custom front bumper w/12k lb winch & off-road lights, skid plates, diff guards, etc.
    '04 Porsche 911 Turbo GT2 clone 600 HP/TQ
    '77 F-150 heavily modded for off-roading

I Support ClubWRX
    "buried" as in, i have to remove things like the airbox and battery n whatever else to access them. Just minor complaining on my end, coming from a honda engine when you just pop the hood and theyre looking at you.

But maybe youre right and im just over reacting. Im just concerned that the problem occurred in the first place and wanted to address it before something bad happens later and id be kicking myself in the ass for just letting it go. By the way the car is at 3k miles.

I might just do a compression test, check hoses and plugs to help me sleep better at night. And leaving it stage 1.

Greatly appreciate the feedback guys!! Im open to more opinions.
    '12 STi stage 2

Origin GT = impretzel
    Bf4

-JJ