peculiar boost issue

This is a discussion on peculiar boost issue within the General Maintenance, Troubleshooting & Accidents. forums, part of the Tech & Modifying & General Repairs category; I'll start with the basics.... 2006 STI with SPT cat back/Invidia DP/Perrin UP-pipe/Perrin equal length headers/Perrin ultralight crank pulley/Walbro fuel ...

peculiar boost issue

I'll start with the basics....
    2006 STI with SPT cat back/Invidia DP/Perrin UP-pipe/Perrin equal length headers/Perrin ultralight crank pulley/Walbro fuel pump/SPT intake/COBB accessport V2 with custom tune via XX Tuning.
    So, recently I've been having boost issues. Randomly-in any gear I'll lack full boost(loss of 8-10 psi) under full throttle. If I pull over and turn off my car and start again it usually resolves the issue. This morning it did not. I'm not sure if I'm having a fuel delivery issue or a tune issue or something all together different. Keep in mind I've had all these mods and my tune for 4 years now. No changes to my car to create this problem. ANY help would be greatly appreciated. footnote: MY AP is currently non-functional. I need to send it in to COBB. I'm hoping all I need to do is re-boot my tune map but I doubt that is my problem.

Sincerely,
    boosthungry & confused

2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements

Any chance your leaking boost? What BOV are you useing?

Turbosmart BOV.

Well your AP should be working now, right?

But as you said, that won't really cause an issue with boost. It's something within the boost system most likely. Do you have a boost gauge that you can see exactly what boost you are hitting and where? Hard to tell what may be the issue without know that. For example: If you were seeing only 7psi of boost, then you'd be seeing wastegate pressure and it'd be an issue with something in the boost control system.

But if you're seeing fluctuation in loss of boost, I'd suspect a leak somewhere. Check your headers/UP for cracks and exhaust leaks around flanges and gaskets. Check the Y-pipe connections on the TMIC, as well as the intake mani coupler. Also check the boost lines coming from your BOV, as well as the gasket for the BOV.
    The Hawk-Eye Alliance #90|The Blobeye Syndicate #0|The Stink-Eye Mob #0|N.E.R.D. Founding Member & #3
    2012 Lightning Red WRX Sedan Stock...for now Soon to be OpenSource tuned by: Mattypants @ WTF Tuning
    "If I have 10 ice cubes and you have 11 giraffes, how many pancakes can fit on the roof? Purple, because aliens donít wear hats" -Ying

I took off my BOV and discovered the gasket has all but disintegrated. I'm replacing tonight and we'll see if all is well. I'll keep ya posted. Thanks!

replaced gasket, reflashed my realtime tune and problem seems to be resolved.