2011 WRX Misfire Issues

This is a discussion on 2011 WRX Misfire Issues within the General Maintenance, Troubleshooting & Accidents. forums, part of the Tech & Modifying & General Repairs category; I am new to the forum, so this is my first post. I have a 2011 WRX and I have ...

2011 WRX Misfire Issues

I am new to the forum, so this is my first post.

I have a 2011 WRX and I have had it in the shop 3 times since it had about 7500 miles on it. First time it started misfiring my dealer said it was a bad mass air flow sensor in the exhaust (never heard of one in the exhaust). I got it back and immediately the engine started misfiring again and actually died at a stop light it was missing so bad. They took it back, cleared the computer and said they couldn't get it to happen again. I had the car for 5,000 mi after this, hearing occasional misfires, but I decided it didn't seem too bad and maybe it was just the way it runs. A few days ago it began misfiring again badly and the check engine light came back on. I took it in and now they are saying that there is a software update for it.

I am looking for peoples opinions here. I already wrote a letter to SOA explaining the situation ( in more depth) and also telling them that the dealership has not done a compression/leak down test. What do you guys think I should do? What I am concerned with is that the engine will fail after the car is out of warranty and subaru will get out of it scott free. The car currently has 17000 miles on it, has always had service done on time and no mods except shifter bushings.

To anyone with an engine failure due to valve issues, did your car have similar symptoms and what did it take to fix it?

Thanks for the help.

2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements

I Support ClubWRX
    Sorry to hear of your problems.

You might get some help if you post your issue here Warranty Issues & SOA Problems - NASIOC
    T0ny
    2011 WRX
    2012 FXT

The Big 2011/2012 Mod Thread

Ooh,hang on. That is the throb of a turbocharged flat four engine. A sound which,all over the world,heralds the imminent arrival of a moron - JC.

Find out which cylinder is misfiring and replace the coil. This is what I did with my 2010 WRX and been good to go! Sounds like those technicians are over thinking how to solve the problem IMO.
    2010 WRB WRX

I Support ClubWRX
    2005 WRX STi (Mods | Virtual Dyno)

Resident Tuner @ WTF Tuning, LLC

"Never trust anything that bleeds for a week and lives ..."

UNYSOC

I have seen this post, however my car is still under warranty. What I am more concerned with is how I should handle these people at the dealership/ SOA. I don't want to do work/ spend money on an engine that is under warranty even though I am very capable. They just seem to be in denial, they don't want to do a compression test on the engine because " it takes 3-4 hrs". They have had my car for 3 separate times now, but 3-4 hrs is too much work? I guess that's really my question. boone how much did the coil cost?

My buddy got me a discount at Napa but I think they retail right around 120. It's an easy swap and better then dealing with the BS the dealer. Good luck.
    2010 WRB WRX

I Support ClubWRX
    your living my nightmare. best of luck!