still smoking under the hood
+ Reply to Thread

This is a discussion on still smoking under the hood within the General Maintenance, Troubleshooting & Accidents. forums, part of the Tech & Modifying & General Repairs category; So I'm getting frustrated now. Whenever pressure under the engine occurs as in driving around, when I come to a ...

still smoking under the hood

So I'm getting frustrated now. Whenever pressure under the engine occurs as in driving around, when I come to a stop, under my hood smokes. I changed all the lines to the turbo, and I changed my valve cover gasket, so now I don't know what to do next. I'm dreading it to be a head gasket... But if it is, ill find a way to change it. Any help on what it could still be? My coolent lines are also fine.

2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements

what year? I had the same exact problem. Pray its a CV boot flinging grease on the DP

Here is the thread of my story Smoke from hood scoop

It is an 02. I do see a bunch of either gunked up oil, or grease on the manifold under the turbo. What do u think?

I also have an 02. I had the same exact symptoms. If you can get under the car look around for the oil leak. Mine had oil coming from the head gasket on the passenger side. it gets on the DP witch is super hot and burns creating the smoke. if its an internal leak then you will see coolant in the oil etc. but if its an external leak then you wont notice the oil looking like a vanilla milkshake. I had the dealer fix it and the motor has to come out witch is a ton of labor charges. about 1600-1700 bucks. sounds to me like thats what it is, thats what happened to mine.

I'm not to worried about the cost of labor. I got a buddy who just got stationed where I'm at and he has an 07 STI that he just ripped the engine out of to check his piston rings. So I'm gonna check the cv boot soon. And then check the gasket. It's not smoking anywhere as much as yours did in the video, bit deffinatly from the same area. I appreciate the help and when I get around to it ill keep you posted. Thanks man.

Your lucky! I am stationed in an area where i dont have anyone that can help me so i had to use the dealer. They didnt even do a good job in my opinion and they still have it. its been like 2 weeks. If your buddy can help you than that is awesome. wish someone could have helped me with mine lol

This place is ok. The people I work with though are awesome. So yeah. I'll keep you posted take it easy.

So subaru told me it turned out to be both valve cover gaskets, cam and crank seals and my oil cooler
    Gasket. Let's just hope it finally fixes it.

sounds like you lucked out a little. good thing you avoided the dreaded head gasket leak. How much did they quote you? make sure you check it all out when they say its done. The dealership i brought mine to did not do a good job. gave me my car back with the check engine light on! turns out the technician didnt plug the knock sensor in when he reinstalled the motor! then after having it back for 1 day my car just crapped out on the side of the road. after days of electrical troubleshooting it was a pinched wire from the motor reinstall. Seems to me like they just try to get the job done as quick as possible so they can get the next car in and charge an arm and a leg.

Well they estimated me at 1200. Which I thought was bull. So instead, I bought the parts I needed, and me and my friend who has an 07 STI are gonna do it our selfs. He knows his way around the engine. not too hard of a job. But it only cost me $80 instead of $1200. It might not be for a couple weeks. Would u suggest doing a timing change as well even though I had one last year?

Nah, timing belts are good for like 120,000 miles. You should be good if it was just done last year. Yeah Subaru did my head gaskets, valve cover gaskets, rocker gaskets and 4 new plugs for 1900! And it was only like 2 or 300 bucks in parts. The rest was labor! They charge a lot for those jobs. I had no choice though, I had no means of doing the work myself.

really? you got screwed. if they just did my 2 valve cover gaskets, it would have been 500. and the parts for those which include the valve cover gasket itself, and 2 plug seals is only $29 for one side. haha. and about the timing change. i was wondering because to get to the cam and crank seals, i have to take off the pullys. and the easiest way i hear is to actually grip them with the belt so they dont twist when you are trying to unbolt them.

The big difference between the work you need and what i had done is the head gaskets. that is one of the most expensive repairs. If i didnt have a external head gasket leak at it was just the valve covers i would have had to spend a lot less money. Damn you head gaskets!! for the timing belt, if your are going to grip it or in any way damage it then maybe replace it since you will already be in there. you dont want that belt to fail, it will cause damage to your motor. you can get a Gates racing belt for just over 100 bucks.

Yeah. I was looking at a whole gates racing set for 300. I'll probably just go ahead and do that. Like I said. When I get time my bud and I will get in there and when we do. I'll keep you posted. Thanks

Cool! Good luck man.

+ Reply to Thread

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself. We strongly suggest that you stay away from using aol, yahoo, msn, and hotmail accounts. Sometimes the mail server blocks the emails from our server. As a result you will not receive any notifications including the confirmation email.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.