2006 subaru wrx running issue?

This is a discussion on 2006 subaru wrx running issue? within the General Maintenance, Troubleshooting & Accidents. forums, part of the Tech & Modifying & General Repairs category; Ok guys a i just bought my first subaru about a month ago. I purchased a 2006 wrx with 100k ...

2006 subaru wrx running issue?

Ok guys a i just bought my first subaru about a month ago. I purchased a 2006 wrx with 100k miles on it. Absolutely fell in love with the car but have noticed some running issues. Its seems to hesitate a little when i accelerate hard from a dead stop but not really to much to really notice. Where the running issue is noticable is if im cruising around 45 and decide to down shift and accelerate to go faster or just decide to step on the the throttle harder from that point. It will start to accelerate and then the rpms will kind of stutter and then it will take off or if i gradually accelerate from that point the rpms will flutter up and down around 3500 rpm. The only upgrades that i can tell are a K&N Typhoon intake and 3" turbo back INVIDIA exhaust. There are no check engine lights, no oil leaks, no smoke, and no funny noises. Im kinda stumped and would really like to figure this out. Does it need a tune or is there something else wrong? Thanks

2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements

Good news, everyone! xxxxxxxAnub1s's Avatar
    I Support ClubWRX
    Has it ever been tuned? Because if not, do that ASAP. That's likely the problem. No aftermarket intake or turboback exhaust should be used on these cars without a tune (except bugeyes which CAN use a TBE without issue). If you intend to drive the car around without getting a tune, put the stock stuff back on until you're ready for it.
    Cody
    Hawk-Eye Alliance #727 N.E.R.D #255.255.255.0

Your nighttime volunteer of near-useless information.
    Good news, everyone!

I Support ClubWRX I Support ClubWRX
    +1 For needing a tune. Those mods you listed require tuning or else they will cause engine damage. Likely the car is already tuned since you're not getting any CELs, but it is crucial you know what the state of your tune is.

On a different note, if your RPMs are rising and falling without the car accelerating in conjunction, then your clutch is slipping (or you're spinning the tires). This will be more evident in 4th and 5th gears because of the increased load.

Ok Thanks for the help guys.. What do you think is the best way to tune this? Should i take it somewhere to have someone else do it or should I buy a Cobb accessport? Im not really sure of anyone near me that does tuning so i will have to do some research. Also this is my everyday driver and was wondering if i baby it around keep it in the low rpms and stay out of boost do you think it would be save to limp around until i get the money to get it tuned?

I Support ClubWRX I Support ClubWRX
    I don't believe the AccessPort has a map to be used with that intake. In that case you would need a real tune (which would be a million times better anyways). Although, if your clutch is slipping, you need to get that fixed before getting it tuned.

There are several good shops in the north east, so the only problem should be picking which one you want to go to. I would look at several reviews of people's first hand experiences before deciding on a particular shop.

Admiral Ackbar the 1st mycologist's Avatar
    I Support ClubWRX
    If you are accelerating and your RPMs go down, as you said, then your clutch is shot.
    "From a little spark may burst a mighty flame." - Dante
    "The stitch is lost unless the thread is knotted." - Italian proverb