Time for an oil change, do I do it myself?
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

This is a discussion on Time for an oil change, do I do it myself? within the General Maintenance, Troubleshooting & Accidents. forums, part of the Tech & Modifying & General Repairs category; So as some of you may already know, my car will be ready to be picked up from the body ...

Time for an oil change, do I do it myself?

So as some of you may already know, my car will be ready to be picked up from the body shop today or tomorrow. When it gets home, it will be 2k miles away from the 7k mile interval of oil changes that the dealership put a sticker on my window for. After reading many posts on this site, AND getting a blown motor due to no oil, I'm deciding wether to go to that dealership, or try and perform my first oil change. I've heard it was very easy, but I'm still skeptical. I'm a 17 y.o. kid who would be performing this in his garage, I would first need to go to the auto store nearby for some jacks, or those ramps; Maybe i can even find some 2x4's downstairs I can pull up on for height. But any suggestions or advice on how this is done would be great, also, what parts/tools I will need.

2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements

I don't recommend crawling under a car supported by 2 x 4's. Jackstands are cheap enough. Changing your oil is easy, theres youtube videos that show how to do it.
    2012 DGM 5 DOOR WRX
    Mods: Stage 2+
    "I live my life a twelve year old at a time. For those ten seconds or less, I'm free."
    Official ClubWRX Creeper

ClubWRX.net Vendor adam@kronosperformance's Avatar
    I Support ClubWRX
    Have you ever considered Race Ramps?
    ClubWRX.net's #1 Vendor! www.kronosperformance.com sales@kronosperformance.com Call/Text 732-742-8837 We Offer a Military Discount
    Our Facebook | Our Twitter | Our Instagram | Our Pinterest
    Our featured brands
    RALLY ARMOR | BC RACING | PERRIN | MISHIMOTO | GRIMMSPEED

Good news, everyone! xxxxxxxAnub1s's Avatar
    I Support ClubWRX
    I don't let anybody change my oil but me. That way I know things are done properly, or if something goes wrong I have nobody to blame but myself. Really, it's the easiest thing to learn to do and perform on these cars.

Definitely check out the YouTube videos suggested by maus, and I would absolutely suggest a jack and jackstands, simple because ramps limit you to the work you can do on the vehicle (no suspension or wheel/tire work can be done on ramps). If you expect to only do basic maintenence, ramps will do just fine for you.
    Cody
    Hawk-Eye Alliance #727 N.E.R.D #255.255.255.0

Your nighttime volunteer of near-useless information.
    Good news, everyone!

Quote Originally Posted by KronosPerformance View Post
    Have you ever considered Race Ramps?
    Are those the black ramps I would buy at autozone?

Quote Originally Posted by maus View Post
    I don't recommend crawling under a car supported by 2 x 4's. Jackstands are cheap enough. Changing your oil is easy, theres youtube videos that show how to do it.
    I can't disagree with you.

Quote Originally Posted by Anub1s View Post
    I don't let anybody change my oil but me. That way I know things are done properly, or if something goes wrong I have nobody to blame but myself. Really, it's the easiest thing to learn to do and perform on these cars.

Definitely check out the YouTube videos suggested by maus, and I would absolutely suggest a jack and jackstands, simple because ramps limit you to the work you can do on the vehicle (no suspension or wheel/tire work can be done on ramps). If you expect to only do basic maintenence, ramps will do just fine for you.
    Okay, all I need is the oil, an oil filter, and a oil drip pan?

ClubWRX.net Vendor adam@kronosperformance's Avatar
    I Support ClubWRX
    Here you go, you more than likely wouldn't buy them from a local autozone store:

Race Ramps 56 Race Ramps [RR-56] - $203.30 : Kronos Performance, Leading since 6th Century BC

Also, we have deals going on with the Royal Purple Oil & Filter package:

Kronos's Royal Purple Subaru Oil Change Package - $56.00 : Kronos Performance, Leading since 6th Century BC
    ClubWRX.net's #1 Vendor! www.kronosperformance.com sales@kronosperformance.com Call/Text 732-742-8837 We Offer a Military Discount
    Our Facebook | Our Twitter | Our Instagram | Our Pinterest
    Our featured brands
    RALLY ARMOR | BC RACING | PERRIN | MISHIMOTO | GRIMMSPEED

Good news, everyone! xxxxxxxAnub1s's Avatar
    I Support ClubWRX
    Quote Originally Posted by Mike193 View Post
    Okay, all I need is the oil, an oil filter, and a oil drip pan?
    Oil, filter, drain plug gasket, drip pan, funnel and make sure you have the tools necessary to remove the drain bolt (17mm wrench would suffice) and what is likely to be a stuck on oil filter since dealerships and other places enjoy tightening the damn things down MUCH more than they need to.
    Cody
    Hawk-Eye Alliance #727 N.E.R.D #255.255.255.0

Your nighttime volunteer of near-useless information.
    Good news, everyone!

you can get the filter(which comes with a new crush ring for the plug bolt) at any local subaru dealership: OEM or fail.

Make sure you have the correct amount of full synthetic oil in the correct weight (i believe ours are 5w-30). Im going to be using Mobil1, but asking about oil brand around here is like arguing politics or abortion.

There are plenty of videos, even wrx based so everything is in the same place, on youtube. You're also going to need a screwdriver to remove the splash guard under the engine.

I'm doing this today, first one myself as well. I like to be well read on this stuff before embarking on new adventures.
    Zach
    Teh Intern @ WTF Tuning, LLC

2009 WRB Subaru Wrx Sedan: WTF Tuning Stg2
    Stink eye Mob #287
    N.E.R.D. #43252003274489856000 (the total number of configurations of the Rubik cube)
    "It's not turbo-lag, it's foreplay"

If you don't have a filter wrench yet, you can jam a screwdriver through the filter to get some leverage on it and spin it off. It comes reaaaally tight from the factory. After hating the first-time filter removal, I got this Amazon.com: Lisle 63600 Oil Filter Tool: Automotive. When doing it myself, I only screw it on hand tight anyway.

I got a 6 pack of blue oil filters from a local dealer. They matched the price here Subaru Oil Filters & Washers - 6 Pack

I used Castrol full synthetic Titanium 5w-30. Many will recommend Rotella T6, 5w-40. I will use that after I render my powertrain warranty useless with mods. Walmart usually has the cheapest oil prices.

If you are approaching 7k miles on your original oil, do it NOW! My oil was dirtier than expected at 1,200 miles, with plenty of metal flecks in there too.
    I have a low Reynolds number

TP Stage 1 - 2012 WRX Premium 5-Door SWP
    Pics!

Also, buying yourself a decent oil drip tray and ramps will save you tons of money in the long run versus getting synth. oil changes at a dealer or shop. Also, the ramps can be used for future mods, like exhaust, shift bushings, steering rack bushings, the list goes on and on! Good luck. There are tons of answers to oil change FAQs on this forum

EDIT: Also pick up a sealable oil container to put the used oil in for taking it to a facility (Pep-Boys, some service stations) for PROPER disposal. Your users manual gives you the basic procedure for changing the oil. You'll need a metric socket set too..

Pics!

I'll be performing this today or tomorrow when I get the car back. I need to save up some cash for those race ramps. I dont have 200 to spend in the next day or so as I'm only a junior in highschool haha. I believe i may have jacks at home. I need to double check

Quote Originally Posted by WRXpa View Post
    Also, the ramps can be used for future mods, like exhaust, shift bushings, steering rack bushings, the list goes on and on!
    One of the biggest is Sway bars. They need to be positioned and torqued while the suspension is under load so that it gets aligned properly.
    The Hawk-Eye Alliance #90|The Blobeye Syndicate #0|The Stink-Eye Mob #0|N.E.R.D. Founding Member & #3
    2012 Lightning Red WRX Sedan
    Stock...for now Soon to be OpenSource tuned by: Mattypants @ WTF Tuning

I'll be performing this today or tomorrow when I get the car back. I need to save up some cash for those race ramps. I dont have 200 to spend in the next day or so as I'm only a junior in highschool haha. I believe i may have jacks at home. I need to double check
    I think my rhino ramps were 70 at pep boys

Pics!

Quote Originally Posted by WRXpa View Post
    I think my rhino ramps were 70 at pep boys
    Really? And all these ramps are sloped so that we won't scrap our bumpers, or that depends on the make and model of the ramp?

Really? And all these ramps are sloped so that we won't scrap our bumpers, or that depends on the make and model of the ramp?
    Ramps = Sloped surface, ha. But, yes you won't scrape without a lip kit.

Pics!

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself. We strongly suggest that you stay away from using aol, yahoo, msn, and hotmail accounts. Sometimes the mail server blocks the emails from our server. As a result you will not receive any notifications including the confirmation email.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.