Time for an oil change, do I do it myself? - Page 4
+ Reply to Thread
Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234

This is a discussion on Time for an oil change, do I do it myself? within the General Maintenance, Troubleshooting & Accidents. forums, part of the Tech & Modifying & General Repairs category; I don't mind 4k oil changes, I wasn't saying Subarus should have 10k mile oil change intervals with my other ...

I Support ClubWRX
    I don't mind 4k oil changes, I wasn't saying Subarus should have 10k mile oil change intervals with my other post. Actually, I was more commenting from the angle that "holy ****, I feel like my engine is running dry" sort of feeling. I was really nervous past 8k miles, and called Honda several times about it, but they insisted not to worry about it until the "service due" message popped up. Its all under an extended warranty though, so if the engine eats itself because it forgot to yell for help, and the service dept won't look at it until it does yell, its not my problem, but that doesn't mean I have to like it.
    Isaac -- 2003 WRX sedan Stg II - Gave its life for mine 6/2013.
    2007 Outback 3.0R wagon
    Proud owner of a N.E.R.D, Member 1.3810-23

The pursuit of knowledge is hopeless and eternal... Hooray!!! - Professor Farnsworth

2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements

I Support ClubWRX
    I change the oil in my Honda CRV every 10k with synthetic oil.80k so far so good.

My brother used to change the oil in his Merc according to schedule at 15k.

I believe the OCI for the Porsche is 20k.

Sent from my HTC PH39100 using Tapatalk 2
    T0ny
    2011 WRX
    2012 FXT

The Big 2011/2012 Mod Thread

Ooh,hang on. That is the throb of a turbocharged flat four engine. A sound which,all over the world,heralds the imminent arrival of a moron - JC.

I Support ClubWRX
    There are certain specs that are very good and lead to generally good oils. I think one or more of VW505.x, Merc 290.x, and BMW LL0x took ACEA A3 as a bare starting point and added further demands, so oils that generally meet those specs would not make bad choices at all for elongated OCIs.

We should be looking at longer OCIs, the ideal being "lifelong oil" and we should be hoping we hit that ideal before the internal combustion motor is no longer practical or feasible. Shortening the OCI is just revolting.
    WRX Info Links, Courtesy TheJ
    Man is a brute.... If you're cruel to him, he respects and fears you. If you're kind to him, he plucks your eyes out. Alexis Zorbas
    I lied. I cheated. I bribed men to cover the crimes of other men. I am an accessory to murder. But the most damning thing of all... I think I can live with it. And if I had to do it all over again - I would. Benjamin Sisko
    DISCLAIMER: Opinions expressed are the author's alone and are inherently worthless.

I Support ClubWRX
    Sorry, I had misunderstood your gripe. I thought you were saying low OCI was a disgrace, but now I see that you mean the mechanical fault that caused the lowered OCI, and the lack of a recall is a disgrace.....and on that I couldn't agree more.

Life-long oil would be ideal....but that is never going to happen till we modify the internal combustion design to separate the combustion chamber from the oil. The carbon from the combustive process contaminates the oil too much to make real 'life long' oil a reality.
    Stink-Eye Mob #39
    N.E.R.D. Operative #8

I Support ClubWRX
    Quote Originally Posted by DemonWRX View Post
    Sorry, I had misunderstood your gripe. I thought you were saying low OCI was a disgrace, but now I see that you mean the mechanical fault that caused the lowered OCI, and the lack of a recall is a disgrace.....and on that I couldn't agree more.

Life-long oil would be ideal....but that is never going to happen till we modify the internal combustion design to separate the combustion chamber from the oil. The carbon from the combustive process contaminates the oil too much to make real 'life long' oil a reality.
    On the contrary, life-long oil is entirely possible! It's just depends on how long of a life you expect. Want a new engine in 10k miles? No problemo!

/smartass
    Isaac -- 2003 WRX sedan Stg II - Gave its life for mine 6/2013.
    2007 Outback 3.0R wagon
    Proud owner of a N.E.R.D, Member 1.3810-23

The pursuit of knowledge is hopeless and eternal... Hooray!!! - Professor Farnsworth

I Support ClubWRX
    And have to go through breakin all over again, hell no
    Stink-Eye Mob #39
    N.E.R.D. Operative #8

I Support ClubWRX
    Quote Originally Posted by DemonWRX View Post
    Unless I am daft, or missing some major revision which I have not seen in print, the 06-08 EJ255 is the exact same motor with the exact same turbo, but 2 different OCI specs. And the 09-12 EJ255 is the exact same motor with the exact same turbo, but 2 different OCI specs.

Something is rotten in Denmark. Screw SOA....I am going with what I have always done....3000 miles.
    I can answer your question there... How pissed are you going to be when you hear this. What happened in 09? An amass of bearing failures. So many that we have a huge thread on our forum, as well as nasioc's forum describing your vehicle when the bearings went out. So... to help cover their asses, Subaru sent out that addendum we were discussing for 08-10 engines to change it to 3750 OCI to help prevent pre-warranty engine failures. Just in case any of those bearings were placed in 08, or 10 engines they added 08 and 10 into the list. It's not fact, but that is the only reasonable explanation that I or anyone else can come up with.
    Kevin
    Sinister's Blowoff Valve FAQ
    WRX Gas Mileage FAQ
    Sinister's Progress Thread - 430whp 429wtq - Sold
    Firearms Enthusiasts Thread

The Sheriff's Star at the bottom left corner rates a user's reputation.
    If you found a user's post to be helpful or quite the opposite, please make it known to them by clicking the Star!

KHP
    Subaru confirmed the 7500 mile intervals for the 2011-12 model years. I guess I'm sticking with that and continue sending oil samples to the lab. Lab results look good to me so far.
    2011 WRX Limited Spark Silver (5 Door)

I Support ClubWRX
    Quote Originally Posted by Sinister View Post
    I can answer your question there... How pissed are you going to be when you hear this. What happened in 09? An amass of bearing failures. So many that we have a huge thread on our forum, as well as nasioc's forum describing your vehicle when the bearings went out. So... to help cover their asses, Subaru sent out that addendum we were discussing for 08-10 engines to change it to 3750 OCI to help prevent pre-warranty engine failures. Just in case any of those bearings were placed in 08, or 10 engines they added 08 and 10 into the list. It's not fact, but that is the only reasonable explanation that I or anyone else can come up with.
    OK....that makes a lot of sense. I had not read the '09 issues as I don't have that year (and at that time in my life, didn't think I would ever get to own a WRX).

Nice to know that I should be able to go to 7500-ish without any real harm....though I will likely be keeping to my 3000 OCI just cause I'm stubborn, and it can't hurt
    Stink-Eye Mob #39
    N.E.R.D. Operative #8

+ Reply to Thread
Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself. We strongly suggest that you stay away from using aol, yahoo, msn, and hotmail accounts. Sometimes the mail server blocks the emails from our server. As a result you will not receive any notifications including the confirmation email.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.