Time for an oil change, do I do it myself? - Page 3
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

This is a discussion on Time for an oil change, do I do it myself? within the General Maintenance, Troubleshooting & Accidents. forums, part of the Tech & Modifying & General Repairs category; Originally Posted by DemonWRX well bloody hell! When I bought my car in February 2011, my book said 7500 miles. ...

KHP
    Quote Originally Posted by DemonWRX View Post
    well bloody hell!

When I bought my car in February 2011, my book said 7500 miles. A few months later I got a similar addendum that moved it to 3750 miles.

My dealer still goes by 3750, and I never got the late 2011 addendum re-raising back to 7500.

I'm gonna e-mail SOA and try to get this straightened out, for all our sakes.
    Hold on Demon... I got my years mixed up(signs of old age lol)... I bought my car November for 2010... Got the addendum documentation December of 2010... TSB is July 20, 2011. You're probably correct maybe they did revert the OCI's to 3750 miles. Please contact SOA I'm about to loose my hair regarding this oil change schedule. Maybe I'm the one who's got the incorrect Warranty & Maintenance booklet now . If that is the case then I'll revert back to 3750 mile OCI's as soon as possible.
    2011 WRX Limited Spark Silver (5 Door)

2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements

I Support ClubWRX
    Well, I already lost most of mine

normally SOA gets back to me in a day or two....hopefully as this is easy for them to locate info, it will be real quick.
    Stink-Eye Mob #39
    N.E.R.D. Operative #8

Admiral Ackbar the 1st mycologist's Avatar
    I Support ClubWRX
    I kind of scanned the last several posts, so disregard if this was addressed.

I think you need to be looking at the change intervals for "harsh conditions" or whatever. They should have a different spec.. That is the one I would use unless you prove otherwise. I think having a turbo alone qualifies and especially if you do short hops etc..
    "From a little spark may burst a mighty flame." - Dante
    "The stitch is lost unless the thread is knotted." - Italian proverb

KHP
    Quote Originally Posted by mycologist View Post
    I kind of scanned the last several posts, so disregard if this was addressed.

I think you need to be looking at the change intervals for "harsh conditions" or whatever. They should have a different spec.. That is the one I would use unless you prove otherwise. I think having a turbo alone qualifies and especially if you do short hops etc..
    Yes severe driving conditions are still 3750 mile changes for 2011+. People should take this into consideration. My current driving conditions is far from severe. Mostly highway, rarely any traffic, very rarely short trips (less than 15 minutes of driving), not dusty conditions, and I don't race my car around.
    2011 WRX Limited Spark Silver (5 Door)

Quote Originally Posted by Sinister View Post
    Please post up any UOA's of new cars with the 7500mile recommended oil changes with dealer supplied synthetic oil and dealer filter.

I can't find any... But I did find these two:
    Oil Analysis: 7500mi on M1 10w30 - WRX - NASIOC
    Synthetic oil data: Mobil 1 used in 2.0L stock motor
    I can't imagine anyone that is willing to run a UOA, would let the stock oil go to 7,500 miles so that may be hard to find.
    I have a low Reynolds number

TP Stage 1 - 2012 WRX Premium 5-Door SWP
    Pics!

I Support ClubWRX
    OK....OCI getting cleared up, some what.....well, not really one bit, but at least we have some data to make an educated choice for our selves.

When I got my car in Feb, '11, the manual stated 7500...however, my packet included the previous MY addendum and maintenance booklet stating 3750...which is what all 08-10 MY were. In April of 2011 SOA send a new addendum (actually received in June) which returned mileage to the manual spec of 7500. Below, between the dashes is the response from SOA when I wrote them 2 days ago...I removed the person's name from the signature to avoid any perceived issues with publishing someone's name.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Dear Mr. xxxxxx (Demon):

Thank you for your email received by Subaru of America, Inc. We appreciate you taking the time to contact us.

We hope that you are enjoying many happy miles in your 2011 Subaru WRX. We appreciate the opportunity to address your inquiry regarding oil change intervals.

The recommended oil change intervals for the 2011 Subaru WRX are every 7,500 miles with Synthetic Oil 5W/30.

As it relates to your question involving oil change recommendations for previous model years, below is the information:

2011 and 2012-Synthetic 5W/30 every 7,500 miles

2008-2010- Conventional or Synthetic Oil every 3,750 miles (customer’s decision on whether to use conventional or synthetic)

2002-2007- Conventional or Synthetic Oil every 7,500 miles (customer’s decision on whether to use conventional or synthetic)

Please keep in mind, in older WRX models we originally recommended oil changes every 7,500 miles. Since that time, we have updated our recommendations to "Severe Driving Condition Recomendations" which are that the oil be changed every 3,750 miles. As a result, owners of older WRX models may want to change their oil more frequently.

If you have any further questions or comments, please contact us.

Sincerely,

xxxxx xxxxxx
    Subaru of America, Inc.
    Customer/Dealer Services Department
    -----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

OK, so there is the 'official' spec on OCI.

WAIT A DAMN MINUTE

This means that SOA is stating that all the 2.0L EJ205 are 7500. OK. I buy that. I don't agree whole heartedly, but whatever.

However, the 2.5L makes no sense to me.
    06-07 EJ255 with a TD04 making 230bhp is 7500
    08 EJ255 with a TD04 making 224bhp is 3750
    09-10 with a VF52 making 265bhp is 3750
    11-12 with a VF52 making 265bhp is 7500

Unless I am daft, or missing some major revision which I have not seen in print, the 06-08 EJ255 is the exact same motor with the exact same turbo, but 2 different OCI specs. And the 09-12 EJ255 is the exact same motor with the exact same turbo, but 2 different OCI specs.

Something is rotten in Denmark. Screw SOA....I am going with what I have always done....3000 miles.
    Stink-Eye Mob #39
    N.E.R.D. Operative #8

I Support ClubWRX
    Demon, as far as the 02-05's go, I just looked at the Subaru Warranty/Maintenance Booklet in my bugeye (yup, I still have all original paperwork), and it agrees exactly with what the letter states.

It says 3,000 miles for first oil change (after break in), and then 7,500 thereafter with the asterisk that "Severe Driving Conditions" should have 3750. It defines "Severe Driving" examples as repeated short trips, rough dirty or salty roads, coastal areas, etc.

Here are some pics:

Isaac -- 2003 WRX sedan Stg II - Gave its life for mine 6/2013.
    2007 Outback 3.0R wagon
    Proud owner of a N.E.R.D, Member 1.38×10-23

The pursuit of knowledge is hopeless and eternal... Hooray!!! - Professor Farnsworth

holy **** so even back in 2003 they were saying 7500 if not "severe driving"?
    The Hawk-Eye Alliance #90|The Blobeye Syndicate #0|The Stink-Eye Mob #0|N.E.R.D. Founding Member & #3
    2012 Lightning Red WRX Sedan Stock...for now Soon to be OpenSource tuned by: Mattypants @ WTF Tuning
    "If I have 10 ice cubes and you have 11 giraffes, how many pancakes can fit on the roof? Purple, because aliens don’t wear hats" -Ying

I Support ClubWRX
    Quote Originally Posted by Mikie13 View Post
    They should have been saying it in 1993. That's what Toyota and anyone with any faith in their motors and modern oils were doing. The 3750 thing is a disgrace and SOA should apologize for the mechanical faults that have led them to it, rather than try to make money off those same faults with repairs, ridiculous maintenance intervals and so on.

For a company that pretends to have environmental sensitivity and high tech, it's absolutely ludicrous. For shame.
    WRX Info Links, Courtesy TheJ
    The world breaks everyone and afterward many are strong in the broken places. Ernest Hemingway
    I lied. I cheated. I bribed men to cover the crimes of other men. I am an accessory to murder. But the most damning thing of all... I think I can live with it. And if I had to do it all over again - I would. Benjamin Sisko
    DISCLAIMER: Opinions expressed are the author's alone and are inherently worthless.

I Support ClubWRX
    Quote Originally Posted by Mikie13 View Post
    I guess so. To be honest, I'd never bothered to check before today. I always change my synthetic between 4-5k miles, but the oil has always looked clean, and my car barely burns any oil (maybe half a liter at the most per 5000 miles).
    2007 Outback 3.0R wagon

The pursuit of knowledge is hopeless and eternal... Hooray!!! - Professor Farnsworth

I Support ClubWRX
    I started off in 2002 doing 5K intervals because the numbers are easy to remember, and now change the oil after 5K but before I forget. 7,5K should not be debatable, it should be a given. The more I think about SOA's stance, the more disappointing I find it.
    The world breaks everyone and afterward many are strong in the broken places. Ernest Hemingway
    I lied. I cheated. I bribed men to cover the crimes of other men. I am an accessory to murder. But the most damning thing of all... I think I can live with it. And if I had to do it all over again - I would. Benjamin Sisko
    DISCLAIMER: Opinions expressed are the author's alone and are inherently worthless.

I Support ClubWRX
    For what it's worth, my wife's Honda Insight has 10k mile oil change intervals. As far as running costs (maintenance, gas, insurance,etc) go, it's the cheapest car I've ever had.
    2007 Outback 3.0R wagon

I Support ClubWRX
    I support that. In case Subaru are wondering, it's called "progress."

Honda, by the way, are in my book the best motor makers in the world.

I Support ClubWRX
    I get what you're sayen SD/Rambo.....but cool your jets a bit here, step back, and look at this objectively.

First, when was the last time you bought or drove a factory turbo charged Honda? yeah, never. And you need to take into account that a turbo, or any forced induction, dramatically increases temps in the engine as well as other stresses, which means you will need to have more maintenance on a turboed car than a N/A car.

Honda does make amazing engines. There is no doubt about it.

But, you need to consider where things are at here. The Impreza is basically equivalent to the Civic...they are the base entry level from each maker (I am purposefully skipping the uber-econo Honda Fit/Jazz as it is a relative new comer).

OCIs:
    '12 N/A Impreza is 7500miles.
    '12 Civic is 8,000km-12,000km (that is 5000 miles to 7500 miles)

And those models are just about equal in the reliability department and the economy department (36mpg for Impreza, 39mpg for Civic sedan). Considering the Impreza is AWD, I count those mpg number either exactly equal or with Subaru slightly ahead. I live where it snows (every year but this one that is), so AWD is extra credit.

The only oil related thing that the new Hondas have that Subaru does not is an onboard oil analyzer which tells you, dependent on your actual oil, if you can get the full 7500, or if you need to change sooner. From skimming the Civic forums, it seems that many people are between 2500 and 4000 miles when the car tells them that it needs new oil. Only a few posts I saw from Civic peeps were north of 6000 miles.

Now, remember, the average middle aged Joe/Jane who has a Civic for commuting because it is cheap and reliable does not post such things on forums, it is the enthusiasts and modders that do that sort of thing....so a N/A Civic being driven like our turbo Subies requires oil changes as often, or more often, than we do.

With the above logic, I can't knock Subaru for my OCI even if I was not the type to change every 3000 out of habit.

----------------------------------------

Before anyone else brings this up....Yes, I know that some recent turbo Porsche 9xx have had OCIs of 20K miles....but that car costs a ****ton more than my rex, so it is not even in the same league.....and if it were mine, it would be getting changes much more often than every 20K I guarantee.
    Stink-Eye Mob #39
    N.E.R.D. Operative #8

I Support ClubWRX
    Subaru's motors were doing just terrific at 7500 OCI, I've shown my own data; the issue isn't with the oil or the original turbo configuration and lube supply, or the OCI, the issue is that Subaru introduced a mechanical fault to the motor (well, at least one). When they became aware of this, instead of recalling any/all cars to fix them for free and summarilly executing everyone responsible -- in other words instead of being reasonable about it... -- they reduced the OCI. This did the following:

1. Ignored the actual problem
    2. Made the service intervals a complete anachronism (welcome to the 1970s...)
    3. Passed the cost to the owners since they had increased maintenance costs
    4. Wasted natural resources
    5. Made Subaru money for additional oil changes
    6. Saved Subaru money since nobody's car was actually repaired

As for Porsche, it's not the cost that affords them longer OCIs. Besides, they're no saints (piston coatings come to mind, some 996 motor questions, and their licensing of the balance shaft arrangement from... Mitsubishi for their 4-cyl motors -- the latter is a crime against humanity). What affords them longer OCIs is the sump size. Subaru and everyone else could follow suit there: larger sumps yield longer OCIs.

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast