Time for an oil change, do I do it myself? - Page 2
+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

This is a discussion on Time for an oil change, do I do it myself? within the General Maintenance, Troubleshooting & Accidents. forums, part of the Tech & Modifying & General Repairs category; wait the 7500 miles that the dealer wants. If you're not heavily modified, and you use the dealership's oil recommendations... ...

I Support ClubWRX
    wait the 7500 miles that the dealer wants.

If you're not heavily modified, and you use the dealership's oil recommendations... then 7500 is plenty fine. You're just throwing away money.

Also, if you're in warranty, I'd recommend sticking with the Subaru synthetic oil.
    Last edited by Sinister; 05-01-2012 at 09:18 AM.
    Kevin
    Sinister's Blowoff Valve FAQ
    WRX Gas Mileage FAQ
    Sinister's Progress Thread - 430whp 429wtq - Sold
    Firearms Enthusiasts Thread

The Sheriff's Star at the bottom left corner rates a user's reputation.
    If you found a user's post to be helpful or quite the opposite, please make it known to them by clicking the Star!

2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements

KHP
    Quote Originally Posted by Sinister View Post

If you're not heavily modified, and you use the dealership's oil recommendations... then 7500 is plenty fine. You're just throwing away money.
    In addition to Sinister's post. You should regularly check your oil level. Our cars consume some oil. When level get to the low tick, top off to full which should be around a quart. I run 7500 mile intervals and do about 70% highway and 30% city driving. My lab results seem to back up the new manual regarding achievable 7500 mile cycles with quality synthetic oils.
    2011 WRX Limited Spark Silver (5 Door)

Quote Originally Posted by WRXpa View Post
    Ramps = Sloped surface, ha. But, yes you won't scrape without a lip kit.
    Obviously. I meant it as in like, not to steep of a slope.

Also, if you're in warranty, I'd recommend sticking with the Subaru synthetic oil.
    I do not have any performance mods, so I guess waiting the 7.5k shouldn't hurt. I do check my oil every morning before I leave for school (on weekends I dont check it unless I'm topping off wiper fluid or something of the sort. Now even though I'm stock, I still do get on it sometimes goin down the highway, but diffidently don't exceed what the car can handle.

Banned
    So every 7500 miles is the interval ? What about time? I put hardly any miles on my car because I live real close to work and everywhere else I go. Some years I only put 6k miles on her. Should you change oil after 6 months reardless of mileage ?

I'm no oil expert, but many, many people would gasp at the though of going a full 7,500 miles with any synthetic oil in a turbo WRX/STi. Again, I'm no expert, but there's plenty of discussion on NASIOC about oil analysis and most oils breaking down around 4k miles.
    I have a low Reynolds number

TP Stage 1 - 2012 WRX Premium 5-Door SWP
    Pics!

Just did my first oil change last week at 4,500 miles. It's REALLY easy to do.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	KeU3vl.jpg 
Views:	89 
Size:	93.8 KB 
ID:	104538

Admiral Ackbar the 1st mycologist's Avatar
    I Support ClubWRX
    Until my car was lowered, ti was easy to do without ramps or jack stands or raising it at all.

Also, don't just add the recommend vol. - that assumes you got out every drop. Let it settle on the dipstick and go slow for the last quart until you get it right.
    "From a little spark may burst a mighty flame." - Dante
    "The stitch is lost unless the thread is knotted." - Italian proverb

I Support ClubWRX
    Quote Originally Posted by WRXpa View Post
    I'm no oil expert, but many, many people would gasp at the though of going a full 7,500 miles with any synthetic oil in a turbo WRX/STi. Again, I'm no expert, but there's plenty of discussion on NASIOC about oil analysis and most oils breaking down around 4k miles.
    Please post up any UOA's of new cars with the 7500mile recommended oil changes with dealer supplied synthetic oil and dealer filter.

I can't find any... But I did find these two:
    Oil Analysis: 7500mi on M1 10w30 - WRX - NASIOC
    Synthetic oil data: Mobil 1 used in 2.0L stock motor
    Kevin
    Sinister's Blowoff Valve FAQ
    WRX Gas Mileage FAQ
    Sinister's Progress Thread - 430whp 429wtq - Sold
    Firearms Enthusiasts Thread

The Sheriff's Star at the bottom left corner rates a user's reputation.
    If you found a user's post to be helpful or quite the opposite, please make it known to them by clicking the Star!

KHP
    Please post up any UOA's of new cars with the 7500mile recommended oil changes with dealer supplied synthetic oil and dealer filter.

I can't find any... But I did find these two:
    Oil Analysis: 7500mi on M1 10w30 - WRX - NASIOC
    Synthetic oil data: Mobil 1 used in 2.0L stock motor
    You can add mine to the list. 7500 miles with M1 EP 5w30 SN. Used OEM Blue Filter.
    7538 Mile UOA 2011 WRX

I Support ClubWRX
    Um....hey....guys..... The oil change interval was changed by Subaru from 7500 miles to 3750 miles for all turbo engines. Go to 7000+ at your own risk...

Quote Originally Posted by Subaru
    ENGINE OIL AND OIL FILTER REPLACEMENT INTERVAL
    Due to heat generated by the turbocharger and carbon deposits contained in exhaust gas, the oil in a turbocharged engine will deteriorate faster than the oil in a naturally aspirated engine. Therefore, special care should be taken to use the proper grade oil and to monitor oil deterioration.

Under normal driving conditions, the recommended oil and oil filter change interval for turbo vehicles is every 3,750 miles or four months, whichever comes first.

However, for vehicles driven in conditions beyond normal, such as racing conditions, the oil and oil filter may require more frequent changes.
    https://www.subaru.com/my-subaru/mai...edule2009.html
    Subaru Drive : Print

and this one has mentions that it was changed for the 2011 as well, but as I don't pay Subaru for access to their tech info site, I could not see the actual document.

http://techinfo.subaru.com/proxy/651...-18-156-11.pdf
    Stink-Eye Mob #39
    N.E.R.D. Operative #8

KHP
    Quote Originally Posted by DemonWRX View Post
    Um....hey....guys..... The oil change interval was changed by Subaru from 7500 miles to 3750 miles for all turbo engines. Go to 7000+ at your own risk...

https://www.subaru.com/my-subaru/mai...edule2009.html
    Subaru Drive : Print

and this one has mentions that it was changed for the 2011 as well, but as I don't pay Subaru for access to their tech info site, I could not see the actual document.

http://techinfo.subaru.com/proxy/651...-18-156-11.pdf
    Not to throw more fuel to the fire regarding OCI's. Yes OCI for 2009-2010 and even earlier cars are 3750 miles(as the first link states model year 2009 second link is probably is even older as stated in the URL 2008). That service bulletin published in July 20, 2011 extended OCI's from 3750 miles to 7500 miles for 2011+ WRX's & STI's (like you said you don't know the details of the TSB please look at my pics below).

My car originally came with a manual stating that oil change intervals must be 3750 and a month later (December of 2011) I received an errata addendum for the Manual and a replacement for the Maintenance Booklet from SOA. I threw away the old Maintenance booklet as the letter contained in the package said to dispose of the outdated booklet.

DemonWRX didn't you get the new documents from SOA? Your stats states that you own a 2011 model. Maybe your car came with the updated Maintenance Booklet from the factory? You should check...

See Pics Below:

Attachment 104568Attachment 104569

Anyway if you're comfortable with 3750 mile OCI's feel free to continue. I just wanted to clarify your post.
    Last edited by KHP; 05-01-2012 at 11:13 PM.

I Support ClubWRX
    well bloody hell!

When I bought my car in February 2011, my book said 7500 miles. A few months later I got a similar addendum that moved it to 3750 miles.

My dealer still goes by 3750, and I never got the late 2011 addendum re-raising back to 7500.

I'm gonna e-mail SOA and try to get this straightened out, for all our sakes.
    Stink-Eye Mob #39
    N.E.R.D. Operative #8

FWIW, my dealership yesterday was adamant about the 7,500 interval for my 2012 WRX.
    "Ah, it is the fault of our science that it wants to explain all; and if it explain not, then it says there is nothing to explain."
    -Van Helsing, from Bram Stoker's ​Dracula

I Support ClubWRX
    well, letter to SOA is sent....as soon as I hear back, I will post it up. I asked for OCI for '02-'12
    Stink-Eye Mob #39
    N.E.R.D. Operative #8

+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself. We strongly suggest that you stay away from using aol, yahoo, msn, and hotmail accounts. Sometimes the mail server blocks the emails from our server. As a result you will not receive any notifications including the confirmation email.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.