Loud Rear Wiper Relay
+ Reply to Thread

This is a discussion on Loud Rear Wiper Relay within the General Maintenance, Troubleshooting & Accidents. forums, part of the Tech & Modifying & General Repairs category; Ok guys, I am sure you are loving seeing all these new threads I am starting. Well here is another. ...

Loud Rear Wiper Relay

Ok guys, I am sure you are loving seeing all these new threads I am starting. Well here is another.

I was driving in the rain today for the first time, and noticed that there was a rhythmic clicking coming from my dash. I immediately assumed it was some sort of relay, as that is what is sounded like, albeit louder than I have ever heard. Sure enough, it is the intermittent rear wiper relay. I am still assuming it is a relay, it is definitely some sort of electrical switch associated with the intermittent rear wiper. Is this something that any of you guys have noticed? I was able to hear it over the radio, so it is quite noisy.

I am going to call the dealership tomorrow about this, as I don't think it is normal.

Edit: I didn't place this in the troubleshooting, as I pretty much know what the problem is. I am just curious if anyone else has experienced it. Mods, if this would be more appropriate in troubleshooting, please let me know.

2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements

I Support ClubWRX
    I have the same thing happen with my wiper relay.Turn the music up.
    T0ny
    2011 WRX
    2012 FXT

The Big 2011/2012 Mod Thread

Ooh,hang on. That is the throb of a turbocharged flat four engine. A sound which,all over the world,heralds the imminent arrival of a moron - JC.

Haha okay. I just wanted to make sure this wasn't a faulty relay from the factory. It is the loudest relay that I have ever heard. You would think that any relay designed to be used in an interior would be made a little quieter.

I Support ClubWRX
    I don't have this problem that I know of, but then again, I don't leave the rear wiper on...I clear the window with a single or double swipe if I need to see clearly, otherwise it is left off.

Is this only for the rear, or are you also hearing the issue from the front intermittent relay?
    Stink-Eye Mob #39
    N.E.R.D. Operative #8

It is only for the rear intermittent relay. Front is quiet no matter what, as is the rear on position. Obviously I only have the rear wiper on when it is necessary. But I constantly drive with my mirrors, so I leave it set to intermittent so that the window is pretty much always clear when I check the mirror.

I Support ClubWRX
    really, I drive using my hands, eyes, and feet....but that's just me.

I use all my mirrors, I just don't need to be able to tell how hot the chick following me is.
    Stink-Eye Mob #39
    N.E.R.D. Operative #8

What is the point of having mirrors if you can't creep on the girls behind you?

I Support ClubWRX
    well...cause if she is behind me, one of us ain't doin it right
    Stink-Eye Mob #39
    N.E.R.D. Operative #8

I Support ClubWRX
    Quote Originally Posted by DemonWRX View Post
    well...cause if she is behind me, one of us ain't doin it right
    HEYO!!! Post of the night!
    GTA:O ClubWRX Crew

My "Build" Thread!

2006 WRX TR
    Hawk-Eye Alliance #1856...ssshhh don't tell anyone!

Ha ha. I guess it depends on what you are into. You could be doing exactly right.

I Support ClubWRX
    I noticed the same thing in my 2011. No idea where subaru found that relay. Sucker is as loud as our 250vdc nuclear safety grade relays at work. And yet is under the dash.
    Funny how my people comment my car shakes their house on the way out... But yet a dash rattle or loud relay is like nails on a chalk board at times.
    Quote Originally Posted by Trainrex
    He was throwing balloons filled with sulfuric acid and shrapnel at the swat team. They finally had to take him down with rubber bullets.
    2011 STi Build Log
    -Part 1 - Reading, Data Logging, and Analyzing Data
    -Part 2 - Turbocharger 101 & Basic Boost Control
    -Part 3 - EcuFlash, Experimental Defintions, and a Drive By Wire Intro

Yeah, at least I know it is normal. I will hold off on calling the dealership tomorrow, I will just mention it when I go in to get my steering column cover replaced whenever that comes in.

I Support ClubWRX
    Just a follow up, front one does it when on delay as well :-P
    Quote Originally Posted by Trainrex
    He was throwing balloons filled with sulfuric acid and shrapnel at the swat team. They finally had to take him down with rubber bullets.
    2011 STi Build Log
    -Part 1 - Reading, Data Logging, and Analyzing Data
    -Part 2 - Turbocharger 101 & Basic Boost Control
    -Part 3 - EcuFlash, Experimental Defintions, and a Drive By Wire Intro

+ Reply to Thread

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself. We strongly suggest that you stay away from using aol, yahoo, msn, and hotmail accounts. Sometimes the mail server blocks the emails from our server. As a result you will not receive any notifications including the confirmation email.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.