Difference and problems with 2008 vs 2009 Subaru WRX?
+ Reply to Thread

This is a discussion on Difference and problems with 2008 vs 2009 Subaru WRX? within the General Maintenance, Troubleshooting & Accidents. forums, part of the Tech & Modifying & General Repairs category; Hello, I am currently looking into purchasing either a 2008 or 2009 Subaru WRX. I have been doing some research ...

Difference and problems with 2008 vs 2009 Subaru WRX?

Hello,

I am currently looking into purchasing either a 2008 or 2009 Subaru WRX. I have been doing some research and looking at reviews. What are some of the major differences between the 08 and 09?

Also I read that the 08 has more problems then the 2009? Is this true and if it is what are the common problems seen in 08 and not the 09? I am debating between purchasing a used 08 or 09 with high miles but a lower cost or pay a little more and get one with low miles?

Thank you.

2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements

I Support ClubWRX
    Search for the 2009 engine failure thread.
    WRX Info Links, Courtesy TheJ
    Man is a brute.... If you're cruel to him, he respects and fears you. If you're kind to him, he plucks your eyes out. Alexis Zorbas
    I lied. I cheated. I bribed men to cover the crimes of other men. I am an accessory to murder. But the most damning thing of all... I think I can live with it. And if I had to do it all over again - I would. Benjamin Sisko
    DISCLAIMER: Opinions expressed are the author's alone and are inherently worthless.

Quote Originally Posted by SD_GR View Post
    Search for the 2009 engine failure thread.
    Second that, its all about the VIN. They have made minor changes to every year of this generation. The big difference between the 2008 and the 2009 is the stock power. the 2009 - 2012 have 265 HP vs 224 for the 2008. Just check the thread and make sure to verify the VIN. Big Differences:

2008 - first year for this gen
    2009 - 265 HP + suspension changes
    2010 - added bluetooth ( later in the year), suspension changes, minor other tweaks
    2011 - added wide body kit, wheel size change, suspension changes = wider track
    2012 - changed nav unit and headlights, added PBP as a color choice

I checked the engine failure thread for the 09, thanks! It seems that the 09 appears to have more issues than the 2008.

Banned
    Im trading in my 09' silver wrx for a 12' next month, I already have my order in place. Im in San Jose. The dealer is low valling me of course. I would be willing to sell privately if you're serious. It has under 16k miles, no mods except a magnaflow axle back garaged for half the time. $19500.

Quote Originally Posted by krnsamiam View Post
    I checked the engine failure thread for the 09, thanks! It seems that the 09 appears to have more issues than the 2008.
    Yes, but I believe it was only for a certain build period iirc. So, if I am remembering that right, you could conceivably check the VIN to see if it fell within the bad times. Cause otherwise it's nice to get the extra power stock from the 09+ engine.
    - Will
    First Mods: What to do and what not to do
    Current Car: 2014 Golf TDI
    Previous Cars:2012 WRB WRX Hatch, 2004 RSX-S, 1998 Grand Prix GTP
    "Isn't it amazing how smart you feel when you just aren't being stupid?"

Rex_Harrison - I just sent you a PM.

+ Reply to Thread

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself. We strongly suggest that you stay away from using aol, yahoo, msn, and hotmail accounts. Sometimes the mail server blocks the emails from our server. As a result you will not receive any notifications including the confirmation email.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.