02 Outback ticking when engine under load
+ Reply to Thread

This is a discussion on 02 Outback ticking when engine under load within the General Maintenance, Troubleshooting & Accidents. forums, part of the Tech & Modifying & General Repairs category; So I drove my sisters outback today and right away I noticed a ticking sound coming from the engine. Here ...

02 Outback ticking when engine under load

So I drove my sisters outback today and right away I noticed a ticking sound coming from the engine. Here is what I know so far.

Car:
    02 Outback, bone stock, 87 octane, automatic

Sound:

Idling, coasting, holding a steady RPM in Neutral, put it in third and coast - no sound

When I give it some gas it starts clicking, it seems like the more engine load the louder it is.

I can't think of what it would be. If it was something in the engine, it would be happening when it is coasting. Something in the drivetrain would make the sound when I force it into third.
    Any ideas? BTW, this might be hard to troubleshoot since I won't be down here for long.

[SOLVED]
    The problem got worse and it was clicking all the time. I climbed under while it was running and felt hot exhaust blowing on my face. Right under the driver, the screw that holds the heat shield onto the exhaust header was gone. So it was leaking out a lot of exhaust and the heat shield was rattling.
    Last edited by Ryouko; 06-03-2012 at 11:57 AM. Reason: problem solved. Posted solution

+ Reply to Thread

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself. We strongly suggest that you stay away from using aol, yahoo, msn, and hotmail accounts. Sometimes the mail server blocks the emails from our server. As a result you will not receive any notifications including the confirmation email.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.