Brake Replacement 02 Impreza RS

This is a discussion on Brake Replacement 02 Impreza RS within the General Maintenance, Troubleshooting & Accidents. forums, part of the Tech & Modifying & General Repairs category; Need some help for replacing brakes. I have a 02 Impreza 2.5rs first of all. I would like to put ...

Brake Replacement 02 Impreza RS

Need some help for replacing brakes. I have a 02 Impreza 2.5rs first of all. I would like to put new rotors and pads on. Went on to different websites and saw that they only have Cross-drilled and slotted for the front and none for the back. I want to know why that is? I just want better brakes for the car. I don't have any mods on the car. Any information will help.
    Thanks,
    Shawn
    Watch out now.

2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements

Go to knsbrakes.com

Better brakes don't come with cross-drilled/slotted rotors. Upgrade your pads to better pads such as Hawk HPS or Ferrodos if they are made for the 2.5RS. Also, look to see if there are SS braided lines. And lastly, upgrade to Motul or ATE brake fluid.

Admittedly, I have crossdrilled front rotors on my STI, but they aren't there for performance. I just like the look and since I don't drive hard or track it, I'm not as worried about cracking.
    The Hawk-Eye Alliance #90|The Blobeye Syndicate #0|The Stink-Eye Mob #0|N.E.R.D. Founding Member & #3
    2012 Lightning Red WRX Sedan Stock...for now Soon to be OpenSource tuned by: Mattypants @ WTF Tuning
    "If I have 10 ice cubes and you have 11 giraffes, how many pancakes can fit on the roof? Purple, because aliens donít wear hats" -Ying

Im not sure if an 02 rs comes with gd wrx sized rotors in the front or not, but i know that's a cheap upgrade for the 2001 and earlier rs, buying the caliper brackets and using wrx rotors I mean. I am pretty sure the calipers are identical to wrx as well, which should open the pad selection, but you'll have to double check. I have also read good things about stoptech pads, and they seem to be a good deal compared to the other brands mentioned, they may be worth a look. For simplicity sake, I am not sure slotted or drilled rotors are necessary, as it'll be more difficult to find someone willing to machine them in the event you need to do so at some point, I think the pads along with a set of braided lines as mentioned above will be worth more focus than slotted or drilled rotors.

The reason they don't offer them for the rear is because your front brakes do 90% of your braking, so there's really no point to having them on the back.

Don't bother with anything other than flat rotors for your car unless you track it, and then I'd just look at DBA slotted rotors. Get some Ferodo pads, stainless lines, and the ATE or Motul fluid and your brakes will be 10,000% better. And only make these changes on the front. Leave your back brakes stock since they're only doing 10% of the work (at most).
    Scott
    Past Subies - '11 STI Limited stage 1+ and '04 STi stage 2+
    '13 Wrangler Rubicon - custom front bumper w/12k lb winch & off-road lights, skid plates, diff guards, etc.
    '04 Porsche 911 Turbo GT2 clone 600 HP/TQ
    '77 F-150 heavily modded for off-roading

Thank you, it's very helpful.
    Shawn
    Watch out now.