Rear diff or rear axle?!?!?! please help.
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

This is a discussion on Rear diff or rear axle?!?!?! please help. within the General Maintenance, Troubleshooting & Accidents. forums, part of the Tech & Modifying & General Repairs category; Well tonight unfortunately, it was one of those nights where I did not go with my gut feeling. I went ...

Rear diff or rear axle?!?!?! please help.

Well tonight unfortunately, it was one of those nights where I did not go with my gut feeling. I went ahead and launched my car at around 5k and right away I heard a snap like noise. I then got out of the car and looked under, noticed no leaks and heard no weird noises. As I went to drive the car, it felt like it was struggling to move. The rpms would go up, but the car would move slowly. For example, while in first gear, I brought the rpms to around 3k and I was just driving around at like 4mph.

-- This is a video I got my brother to record during the slow drive home. sigh. (I was in first gear in the video)

#LessonLearnedTheHardWay

thanks for the help!!!

2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements

I Support ClubWRX
    Do the revs rise freely yet the car doesn't move proportionally?
    WRX Info Links, Courtesy TheJ
    The world breaks everyone and afterward many are strong in the broken places. Ernest Hemingway
    I lied. I cheated. I bribed men to cover the crimes of other men. I am an accessory to murder. But the most damning thing of all... I think I can live with it. And if I had to do it all over again - I would. Benjamin Sisko
    DISCLAIMER: Opinions expressed are the author's alone and are inherently worthless.

Quote Originally Posted by SD_GR View Post
    Do the revs rise freely yet the car doesn't move proportionally?
    Yes your right......the speedo will say im doing 60mph when im probably just doing 9-15mph.

I Support ClubWRX
    The speedo moves freely and not the tach? Never seen that before.
    The world breaks everyone and afterward many are strong in the broken places. Ernest Hemingway
    I lied. I cheated. I bribed men to cover the crimes of other men. I am an accessory to murder. But the most damning thing of all... I think I can live with it. And if I had to do it all over again - I would. Benjamin Sisko
    DISCLAIMER: Opinions expressed are the author's alone and are inherently worthless.

Good news, everyone! xxxxxxxAnub1s's Avatar
    I Support ClubWRX
    Sounds like a blown rear diff to me. I wonder if the free spin in the rear (and the center diffs inability to compensate much) is causing it to read speed differently.
    Cody
    Hawk-Eye Alliance #727 N.E.R.D #255.255.255.0

Your nighttime volunteer of near-useless information.
    Good news, everyone!

I Support ClubWRX
    Because of the speed sensor connection on the gearbox, eh? Seems reasonable. Interesting.

I Support ClubWRX
    Quote Originally Posted by Anub1s View Post
    Sounds like a blown rear diff to me. I wonder if the free spin in the rear (and the center diffs inability to compensate much) is causing it to read speed differently.
    Seems plausible to me as well. If that's the case, then OP, do NOT drive the car anywhere until you get it fixed. Flatbed it to the dealer if you have to, or replace the diff yourself. If you did blow the rear diff, then your car is essentially FWD now, and you'll blow up your center diff (if it isn't toast already) if you drive like this. It's much cheaper to replace the rear diff then have to do the whole drivetrain.

Couple more things to check with the car stopped:
    1. Can you shift smoothly into all gears with the car idling, clutch in?
    2. Any sign of clutch slippage?
    Isaac -- 2003 WRX sedan Stg II - Gave its life for mine 6/2013.
    2007 Outback 3.0R wagon
    Proud owner of a N.E.R.D, Member 1.3810-23

He who shall be last, shall be sideways and smiling... - Jeremy Clarkson

Quote Originally Posted by Rambo View Post
    Seems plausible to me as well. If that's the case, then OP, do NOT drive the car anywhere until you get it fixed. Flatbed it to the dealer if you have to, or replace the diff yourself. If you did blow the rear diff, then your car is essentially FWD now, and you'll blow up your center diff (if it isn't toast already) if you drive like this. It's much cheaper to replace the rear diff then have to do the whole drivetrain.

Couple more things to check with the car stopped:
    1. Can you shift smoothly into all gears with the car idling, clutch in?
    2. Any sign of clutch slippage?

1. Yes I can shift smoothly into all gears with the car idling, clutch in.
    2. As for the clutch slippage, I'm not noticing any clutch slippage.

-- smh, really it might be the rear diff. I just bought that rear diff back in the beginning of march (last month) for my 6MT trans swap. The rear diff is a R160 LSD with 3.90 ratio.

*fingers still crossed for the problem to be a rear axle, even though now I believe is very unlikely.

sounds as though the axle is not completely inserted into the rear diff.

Admiral Ackbar the 1st mycologist's Avatar
    I Support ClubWRX
    Does the drive shaft appear to be connected?

Also, it is easy to look at and twist an axle and determine if it is broken.
    "From a little spark may burst a mighty flame." - Dante
    "The stitch is lost unless the thread is knotted." - Italian proverb

Now I'm a bit confused on what it can be, when ever i have to move the car to the other side of the street (for street cleaner :/) I notice there will be a weird squeak whenever the car beings to move. So I went ahead and did a youtube search, and found a video that sounds exactly like my car except the car is not moving.

Subaru wrx Clutch Squeak - YouTube

I just don't want to go off and buy the wrong part.

Just guessing here: try to lift the rear off the ground, see if you can turn the wheels by hand. If you can turn either wheel without the other turning, your shaft(s) are not engaged. If one wheels makes the other turn backwars, the diff is working and the axles are in. Then the input to diff is not there...

Off course, no hand brake. And make sure the front wheels can not roll anywhere... (!)(no oopsies here!)
    You can't have everything - where would you put it?

^^ thanks will try this when I get home.....

Quote Originally Posted by Anub1s View Post
    Yup I totally agree. Because of the speed sensor being on the tranny, that means the only part in the drivetrain aft of the tranny that could cause that behavior is the diff. Time for a new one! Yet another poor soul learns why it's not a good idea to launch these cars...
    Scott
    Past Subies - '11 STI Limited stage 1+ and '04 STi stage 2+
    '13 Wrangler Rubicon - custom front bumper w/12k lb winch & off-road lights, skid plates, diff guards, etc.
    '04 Porsche 911 Turbo GT2 clone 600 HP/TQ
    '77 F-150 heavily modded for off-roading

Admiral Ackbar the 1st mycologist's Avatar
    I Support ClubWRX
    I'm curious as to why you are looking for speculation on the issue vs. you just crawling under there and looking for damage?

Jacking it up is also a good idea, just don't crawl under there unless you have it up safely on stands.
    "From a little spark may burst a mighty flame." - Dante
    "The stitch is lost unless the thread is knotted." - Italian proverb

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast