Now that I have the car, what are these noises?

This is a discussion on Now that I have the car, what are these noises? within the General Maintenance, Troubleshooting & Accidents. forums, part of the Tech & Modifying & General Repairs category; Car is awesome. Great site here with a lot of information. Unfortunately, we don't all have friends who have our ...

Now that I have the car, what are these noises?

Car is awesome. Great site here with a lot of information. Unfortunately, we don't all have friends who have our same car (God knows Subaru would crumble under demand like that) so I must go to you guys for input, and hopefully my write-up is adequate.

So this is my first turbo car and I've heard a couple weird noises that I don't know what they are:
    1. Get in, key in, ignition & starter, exhaust rumble, a second goes by, and then "psssshhhhhhhhhhhhhhh". Sounds like a cooler for something. But my car has been sitting overnight so why does something need to be cooled already? Turbo cooler?
    2. Back out of the garage into the driveway and sit for a minute while the engine warms up. Back out of the driveway, shift into first, clutch coming out, and then a "CLICK". I don't think I feel anything, but it sounds like it's coming from under the passenger seat. Fuel pump?

Any ideas?
    "Ah, it is the fault of our science that it wants to explain all; and if it explain not, then it says there is nothing to explain."
    -Van Helsing, from Bram Stoker's ​Dracula

2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements

Number 1 is probably the air pump.
    Number 2 comes from the hill assist, lots of people have experienced the same noise and are told it is normal
    Stink eye mob #727
    2011 WRX DGM Hatch, Protuned Stage 1

Quote Originally Posted by jd92677 View Post
    Number 1 is probably the air pump.
    Number 2 comes from the hill assist, lots of people have experienced the same noise and are told it is normal
    Ahhhhh the smog pump? My dad pointed out that I had one of them things, but I haven't seen one since I yanked it out of my 1974 Camaro lol

And the hill assist thing makes sense now that you point that out. I *was* reversing and maybe pointed a little uphill.

I'll keep an eye on them both and post back if anything goes awry. Thanx!
    "Ah, it is the fault of our science that it wants to explain all; and if it explain not, then it says there is nothing to explain."

Follow-up:

I still think that #1 is the smog/air pump. It doesn't happen when the car is warmed up.

But I tried something today with #2. I made sure that I braked and stopped completely before going forward, and it still happened. I noticed this morning that it sounds a little more like something hitting the front psgr fender well. Also, it doesn't happen when hill assist happens any other time...