Quick spark plug question

This is a discussion on Quick spark plug question within the General Maintenance, Troubleshooting & Accidents. forums, part of the Tech & Modifying & General Repairs category; Well so some of you know The motor is comming out of my WRX for a head gasket replacement. Quick ...

Quick spark plug question

Well so some of you know The motor is comming out of my WRX for a head gasket replacement. Quick question is Spark plugs. Should i get the Irridium ones? they make a bigger spark and i already increased the air in the engine so i would think bigger spark, more air and then upgrade injectors/fuel pump right?

2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements

I Support ClubWRX
    Generally a non issue. Speak to whomever you are using to map the car and fit something with which (s)he can work.

For high output applications some have reverted to copper. Consider heat range too but again, only if necessary for a good map.
    WRX Info Links, Courtesy TheJ
    The world breaks everyone and afterward many are strong in the broken places. Ernest Hemingway
    I lied. I cheated. I bribed men to cover the crimes of other men. I am an accessory to murder. But the most damning thing of all... I think I can live with it. And if I had to do it all over again - I would. Benjamin Sisko
    DISCLAIMER: Opinions expressed are the author's alone and are inherently worthless.

Well i have stock plugs now, and i dont think i am going to go crazy high on mods so i think stock heat rating is fine but i do have some upgrades so i was wondering if i should upgrade to a bosch platinum 4, or Denso Irridium, or NGK iridium or something that supposed to create more spark? or is stock plugs fine. I am going to upgrade the injectors to like 650 and upgrade the fuel pump.

I Support ClubWRX
    Stock are correct. Shop based on price not marketing.
    The world breaks everyone and afterward many are strong in the broken places. Ernest Hemingway
    I lied. I cheated. I bribed men to cover the crimes of other men. I am an accessory to murder. But the most damning thing of all... I think I can live with it. And if I had to do it all over again - I would. Benjamin Sisko
    DISCLAIMER: Opinions expressed are the author's alone and are inherently worthless.

Cool got it. I just didn't know if stock plugs would hold up after some basic modding. I was getting some hesitation/skipping under acceleration and didnt know if it was because the plugs were shot or could create enough spark for the amount of air i was pushing. the engine will be coming out and i am getting ideas of other maintenance i should do while its out.

I Support ClubWRX
    Full front cover with water pump, consider oil pump, check oil pickup tube, discuss condition of valves. Add it all up and compare total cost to replacing rather than rebuilding.

I Support ClubWRX
    By the way, an authentic set of gaskets alone is expen$ive so I'd do lots of math before lots of $pending. I like money a lot more than I like cars.

well seeing how i dont have a lift or a cherry picker and i work about 50 hours a week. I am having the dealer do this. they are replacing the head gaskets and the power steering rack and pinion boots for 1900 bucks. plus i get a 10% military discount on all that. He showed me the problem areas so i know i'm not getting ripped off. im sure a total engine replacement would cost more than that.

I Support ClubWRX I Support ClubWRX
    I wouldn't say the iridiums make a bigger spark.. they just tend to last longer. My tuner, along with many others highly prefer copper plugs over iridium when tuning high boost and e85 because the spark is better on the copper plugs and less likely to blow out than with iridium or platinum plugs.

For your car stock plugs will be fine.. iridium is fine if you're wanting to wait a little longer between changing them (I change my plugs every 10k miles).

NGK are good.. I do not recommend using Champion plugs in a turbo charged vehicle, too many people have had issues.

zax
    I Support ClubWRX I Support ClubWRX
    Quote Originally Posted by SD_GR View Post
    For high output applications some have reverted to copper. Consider heat range too but again, only if necessary for a good map.
    This. Copper plugs will spark much better, but for a shorter lifespan. The Iridiums are known for sparking at a much more consistent output for longer.
    2015 CWP WRX STi ... But how did I get roped back into an EJ motor?!
    Zax's utterly unimaginably stock 2015 STi build thread
    Zax's Shaggin' Wagon Build Thread Now tuned for 99% pure Unicorn Jizz!

Zach | Moderator -- Mid-Atlantic States, Tech & Modifying & General Repairs
    Rollin' with the Bugeye Mafia #302 | N.E.R.D. Subject Zero
    Facebook me here

Your Mid-A local board: http://www.clubwrx.net/forums/mid-atlantic-states/