Time to start saving? - headgasket 96 sti
+ Reply to Thread

This is a discussion on Time to start saving? - headgasket 96 sti within the General Maintenance, Troubleshooting & Accidents. forums, part of the Tech & Modifying & General Repairs category; Hey guys had my car for over a month now loving it and clocked around 3500ks already. Only worries is ...

Time to start saving? - headgasket 96 sti

Hey guys had my car for over a month now loving it and clocked around 3500ks already. Only worries is that the overflow tank has a strange smell and a slight oily-brown tinge to it. After driving it a little hard and popping the overflow tank cap the coolant can be seen bubbling. The car doesn't leak from anywhere or overheat, no smoke or residue in the exhaust. Doesn't seem to be any oil in water or vice versa and runs real well.

Also note i took it for a 40min drive on a real nice windy gravel road (old mountain road out near raglan if anyone is familiar) sliding through the corners etc and afterwards it had spat out about 500ml of coolant out the overflow. It was doing it excessively when i re-installed the restrictor pill after driving on boost but that was fixed when i replaced the rad cap with a new one. Will be taking it for a leakdown test this week hopefully.

Because of the smell has got me thinking my head gaskets might be leaking, dont have the cash to shell out for a 2.5k job or whatver it may be and dont have the tools or knowledge to do it at home. Thoughts?

cheers.

also car has done 148000Ks (not miles)

2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements

I Support ClubWRX
    Find out if it's the head gaskets, since that doesn't sound unreasonable. The symptoms do fit. Slight chance it's simply air in the system but if and only if you've recently opened up the cooling system for a repair. Otherwise your logic seems sound at least to me.
    WRX Info Links, Courtesy TheJ
    Man is a brute.... If you're cruel to him, he respects and fears you. If you're kind to him, he plucks your eyes out. Alexis Zorbas
    I lied. I cheated. I bribed men to cover the crimes of other men. I am an accessory to murder. But the most damning thing of all... I think I can live with it. And if I had to do it all over again - I would. Benjamin Sisko
    DISCLAIMER: Opinions expressed are the author's alone and are inherently worthless.

Dont think its air in the system it was doing it before i flushed it and i bled it excessively.

think a leakdown test would help me tell for sure?

No a leakdown test isn't designed to catch that. Based on your coolant color and the age of the car, I'd say there's an excellent chance it's the head gaskets. Yes, I'd start saving up and get them replaced ASAP before you damage your motor. If you're getting oil in your coolant, chances are you're also getting coolant in your oil. Have you drained and checked that recently?
    Scott
    Past Subies - '11 STI Limited stage 1+ and '04 STi stage 2+
    '13 Wrangler Rubicon - custom front bumper w/12k lb winch & off-road lights, skid plates, diff guards, etc.
    '04 Porsche 911 Turbo GT2 clone 600 HP/TQ
    '77 F-150 heavily modded for off-roading

Yeah i just did an oil change and there was no signs of coolant e.g milky oil. What exactly is a leakdown helpful for catching then? cheers

I Support ClubWRX
    Compression losses whether bottom or top end. A cyl is pressurized and the losses measured in terms of rate or %.
    WRX Info Links, Courtesy TheJ
    Man is a brute.... If you're cruel to him, he respects and fears you. If you're kind to him, he plucks your eyes out. Alexis Zorbas
    I lied. I cheated. I bribed men to cover the crimes of other men. I am an accessory to murder. But the most damning thing of all... I think I can live with it. And if I had to do it all over again - I would. Benjamin Sisko
    DISCLAIMER: Opinions expressed are the author's alone and are inherently worthless.

Ok well ill take it to my work experience garage and talk to them there. Ill get a cylinder leak test done and see what the guys there think. One of them said it could be a blocked radiator or partially blocked. How else can i check?

Hmmm a leak down should work, thats what my mechanic did when I had a head gasket problem in my old Civic.
    The result form the leakdown test: Bubbles coming out of the overflow tank.
    Not what you expect form a leak down test, but it worked.
    Oh and my civic did the bubbles thing when I revved it.
    Just find it strange you're not overheating or "mysteriously" coolant losing

Went and got a cylinder leakage test done and there was no leakage

+ Reply to Thread

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself. We strongly suggest that you stay away from using aol, yahoo, msn, and hotmail accounts. Sometimes the mail server blocks the emails from our server. As a result you will not receive any notifications including the confirmation email.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.