Is resetting ECU necessary after cleaning MAF?

This is a discussion on Is resetting ECU necessary after cleaning MAF? within the General Maintenance, Troubleshooting & Accidents. forums, part of the Tech & Modifying & General Repairs category; I'm coming up on 30,000 miles for my 08 WRX (no mods). I'm going to be replacing the air filter ...

Is resetting ECU necessary after cleaning MAF?

I'm coming up on 30,000 miles for my 08 WRX (no mods). I'm going to be replacing the air filter myself and have my mechanic do the other stuff. I read it's a good idea to clean the MAF sensor while I'm changing the air filter. I've read conflicting advise on resetting the ECU after I do this. Is it necessary to reset the ECU, or will doing this too often hurt anything? What sort of changes really require resetting the ECU if there are no mods?

I was planning to unplug the negative terminal, cleaning the MAF sensor, while it's drying replace the air filter and connect everything back up? Anything else I should/shouldn't do?

Thanks!

2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements

I Support ClubWRX
    Resetting the ECU would be a good idea, in this case, because a dirty MAF may have caused some odd learned fueling. While eventually it would balance out, I would rather start with a fresh slate.

Just disconnecting the negative terminal won't be enough; you'll need to drain any remaining power from the system as well (this is often done by depressing the brake pedal a few times).
    2005 WRX STi (Mods | Virtual Dyno)

Resident Tuner @ WTF Tuning, LLC

"Never trust anything that bleeds for a week and lives ..."

UNYSOC

I Support ClubWRX I Support ClubWRX
    Not necessary.. after about 100 miles it will adjust properly. Last weekend I pulled my learning view only to see max corrections in the MAF scaling. Upon further investigation I found one of the plugs on my inlet had split wide open creating a massive post MAF leak. After replacing the plug and driving 15 miles the scaling was just about back to where it should be.

Quote Originally Posted by EJ257 View Post
    Just disconnecting the negative terminal won't be enough; you'll need to drain any remaining power from the system as well (this is often done by depressing the brake pedal a few times).
    Ahh, I missed that somehow. Thanks for the update. I'll do it this weekend and see how things turn out. Thanks!

Personally I'd just let the ECU relearn. It won't take that long versus disconnecting the battery and making it learn from scratch (if it takes any longer at all).
    Scott
    Past Subies - '11 STI Limited stage 1+ and '04 STi stage 2+
    '13 Wrangler Rubicon - custom front bumper w/12k lb winch & off-road lights, skid plates, diff guards, etc.
    '04 Porsche 911 Turbo GT2 clone 600 HP/TQ
    '77 F-150 heavily modded for off-roading