2011 WRX - New Turbo?

This is a discussion on 2011 WRX - New Turbo? within the General Maintenance, Troubleshooting & Accidents. forums, part of the Tech & Modifying & General Repairs category; I have had my 2011 WRX for just over a year now and it has been a great car so ...

2011 WRX - New Turbo?

I have had my 2011 WRX for just over a year now and it has been a great car so far. I am running a stage 1 TP tune and the rest of the car is bone stock.

While merging on the freeway the other day I drop into 3rd and heard a very strange noise coming from my engine. It sounded like a loud squealing/sucking noise coming from the drivers side of the intercooler. I also have little to no boost. My first thought was a loose hose of some kind. I took a look at it and didn't notice anything out of the ordinary.

I took the car in to the dealer and after about 3 hours of waiting they told me they are going to have to replace the turbo since they couldn't see anything else that could have been wrong.

Now I am a noob when it comes to this stuff but a bad turbo seems odd to me. The noise alone doesn't sound like It's coming from my turbo, plus the squeal makes me think that isn't the issue. Any ideas of what else this could be? I would think the subaru techs would be competent enough to figure out the problem. I guess a brand new, free turbo isn't a bad thing but I just want to be sure that is the problem.

Any help or suggestions would be appreciated.

Sent from my PC36100 using Tapatalk 2

2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements

ClubWRX.net Vendor adam@kronosperformance's Avatar
    I Support ClubWRX
    You have a boost leak. Bring it to the dealership since its a 2011, you have a warranty still.
    ClubWRX.net's #1 Vendor! - www.kronosperformance.com - Call/Text 732-742-8837 |
    AIM Screenname - KronosParts | GoogleTalk - sales@kronosperformance.com | Military Discount
    Kronos has Special Pricings on Process West & Agency Power!
    CONTACT US DIRECTLY FOR SPECIALS AND PROMOTIONS

I Support ClubWRX
    A wild animal noise used to be a sign of a leak pre-turbo (as in, the up pipe) or even post-turbo but close (as in, the intercooler hoses. The latter would sometimes "POP!" before screaming too.

There's an intake problem somewhere, and if they came back saying they're going to replace the single most expensive component on Subaru's dime they are either at their wit's end or they need Subaru's money, or both. In any case this is not your problem, it's SOA's problem. Get a loaner car and keep all documentation.

Also be aware the turbo is an emission component, and is covered under the emission warranty that at least in my state is not (not a typo; repeat: not) limited by the owner's maintenance habits. It's also longer thatn the bumper-to-bumper. Check your warranty manual for your specifics.
    WRX Info Links, Courtesy TheJ
    The world breaks everyone and afterward many are strong in the broken places. Ernest Hemingway
    I lied. I cheated. I bribed men to cover the crimes of other men. I am an accessory to murder. But the most damning thing of all... I think I can live with it. And if I had to do it all over again - I would. Benjamin Sisko
    DISCLAIMER: Opinions expressed are the author's alone and are inherently worthless.