Nitrous in tires?
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

This is a discussion on Nitrous in tires? within the General Maintenance, Troubleshooting & Accidents. forums, part of the Tech & Modifying & General Repairs category; My buddy with a 2011 Dodge Ram 2500 Power Wagon just got back from the dealership. While he was there, ...

Nitrous in tires?

My buddy with a 2011 Dodge Ram 2500 Power Wagon just got back from the dealership. While he was there, they offered to put nitrous in his tires, claiming that the nitrous offers a smoother ride, with less pressure fluctuations. I was wondering if this was just for SUV's, or if nitrous also offers a better ride in our WRX's.
    Last edited by Mike193; 04-19-2012 at 09:50 AM.

2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements

I Support ClubWRX
    No. The did not offer any such thing.

You may be thinking of nitrogen.

Whether to use atmosphere or nitrogen makes no difference to me. If it's free, they can use nitrogen. If not, atmosphere. Your call.
    WRX Info Links, Courtesy TheJ
    The world breaks everyone and afterward many are strong in the broken places. Ernest Hemingway
    I lied. I cheated. I bribed men to cover the crimes of other men. I am an accessory to murder. But the most damning thing of all... I think I can live with it. And if I had to do it all over again - I would. Benjamin Sisko
    DISCLAIMER: Opinions expressed are the author's alone and are inherently worthless.

It's not just for SUVs either. My friend's Sentra and my other friend's Lancer came with Nitrogen filled tired. They get a cool green cap on the stem

I'm sorry, I foolishly wrote nitrous and not Nitrogen. Does anybody know of any dealerships that do offer Nitrogen? My friend said it was done free of charge and even made the ride noticably smoother.

I Support ClubWRX
    If it's free, call around. If there is $ invovled, I would walk (or drive away, on tyres filled with atmosphere as they have been for roughly a century...).

Nitrogen is absolutely the best answer available for... some sort of problem. I suspect the problem is what to do with all the nitrogen at this point...

They say it permeates tyres less than atmosphere (or rather, the oxygen in atmosphere, since atmosphere is mostly nitrogen anyway). I just keep inflation pressures correct and that's it.

They say it's less likely to allow variations in pressure, especially due to temperatures. In SoCal, I personally can go from a specific spot that will be -5 and two hours later I will be at another that is 35 or higher. It is true that TPMS goes off on one of our cars if we set pressure at low altitute/high temp and then drive into the mountains and stay overnight. Nitrogen would likely stop this from happening. So would inflating with atmosphere...

They say nitrogen prevents oxidation of the rubber and compounds and prolongs the life of tyres. I don't really care since oxidation will occur on the outside anyway, and on the outside there is also UV radiation etc.

A solution in search of a problem in the context of a road car that will have new rubber fitted every 3-4 years anyway.

Have fun!
    The world breaks everyone and afterward many are strong in the broken places. Ernest Hemingway
    I lied. I cheated. I bribed men to cover the crimes of other men. I am an accessory to murder. But the most damning thing of all... I think I can live with it. And if I had to do it all over again - I would. Benjamin Sisko
    DISCLAIMER: Opinions expressed are the author's alone and are inherently worthless.

I Support ClubWRX
    Come to think of it, if what the nitrogen producers say about permeation is correct -- that nitrogen cannot go through but oxygen does, so pressure drops over time as a result -- the more correct they are, the less necessary filling with nitrogen becomes.

If oxygen escapes but nitrogen is retained inside the tyre, the rubber compounds are acting as a selective membrane and filtering out oxygen -- or filtering in nitrogen. If permeation is such a dramatic, Earth-shattering issue, this will happen a lot, and if the world does not come to an end and the owner survives the cataclysmic effects of the permeation, the owner may -- gasp! -- fill with atmoshere.

This will introduce some oxygen, but that as we are all shocked to know will exit; behind it will be lots more nitrogen. So we're enriching the inside environment with nitrogen. For free. Doing nothing but refilling as we always have. Heh.

I Support ClubWRX
    ^Nice

Tires inflated to the proper pressure will have zero difference in ride quality for N vs. Atm.
    "From a little spark may burst a mighty flame." - Dante
    "The stitch is lost unless the thread is knotted." - Italian proverb

I Support ClubWRX
    http://www.getnitrogen.org/n2study/video/leno.html

Get Nitrogen.org Just put your zip.

If its good enough for the GT-R why not use it
    Last edited by cflip2x; 04-19-2012 at 01:17 PM.

Air is almost 80% nitrogen anyway, so I can't see the benefit of finding pure nitrogen to fill tires with.

I Support ClubWRX
    Whats next?Helium?
    T0ny
    2011 WRX
    2012 FXT

The Big 2011/2012 Mod Thread

Ooh,hang on. That is the throb of a turbocharged flat four engine. A sound which,all over the world,heralds the imminent arrival of a moron - JC.

I Support ClubWRX
    Yes. He has been used before in tyres with inner tubes (I think; from memory). I don't know if an automotive application is feasible but if it were, I think it would be most advantageous to have the spokes of the wheel itself be hollow in order to allow for more He. Seriously.

Valves and compounds would be an issue since He would permeate (it goes through stuff like O-rings routinely; my wristwatch has an He escape valve in case a hydronaut breathing HelOx needs to decompress/surface, to allow the He to escape from inside the watch that is otherwise impermeable to water down to 30 ATM. This implies He is better at permeating at <2 ATM than water is at >20 ATM if that makes sense.).
    Last edited by SD_GR; 04-19-2012 at 02:39 PM.

Most places that do tire service offer nitrogen. Personally, I don't bother because I have an air compressor and can easily change the air pressure in my tires any time I want.

Quote Originally Posted by jgardiner View Post
    Air is almost 80% nitrogen anyway, so I can't see the benefit of finding pure nitrogen to fill tires with.
    It definitely has some benefit, but it's so minor that I really think it's like your favorite gas station saying "Hey instead of the 91 octane you usually buy, I'm selling this 91.01 octane for only 10 cents more a gallon!"

Quote Originally Posted by rage-wrx View Post
    Whats next?Helium?
    That would be a great upgrade! You could reduce your unsprung weight by a couple of pounds per wheel! Personally I'd go for hydrogen though since that'll give you about an extra pound of reduced unsprung weight per wheel over the helium.
    Last edited by teflon_jones; 04-19-2012 at 07:30 PM.
    Scott
    Past Subies - '11 STI Limited stage 1+ and '04 STi stage 2+
    '13 Wrangler Rubicon - custom front bumper w/12k lb winch & off-road lights, skid plates, diff guards, etc.
    '04 Porsche 911 Turbo GT2 clone 600 HP/TQ
    '77 F-150 heavily modded for off-roading

Quote Originally Posted by teflon_jones View Post
    Personally I'd go for hydrogen though since that'll give you about an extra pound of reduced unsprung weight per wheel over the helium.
    Remember the Hindenberg! Hydrogen is flammable.

I Support ClubWRX
    Time to submit this to Mythbusters
    2012 WRB 4DR | SPT Exhaust | Short Throw | Rally Armour | WC Lathe Werks Custom TI Knob | Kartboy Bushings | Stoptech Brake Lines | JBK Elements DRL | STI HID Retrofit | XB LED Angel Eyes | GrimmSpeed Lightweight Crank Pulley

CFLip2x 2012 WRB WRX

I know this is a couple months old but here's why nitrogen is preferred - Nitrogen molecules are larger then oxygen so it permeates the tire less and you don't get as much leak down. It also doesn't fluctuate as much with temperature changes such as highway driving and racing were your tires will get very hot and if you used normal compressed air your tire pressure would increase. Nitrogen is also fire retardent. For all these reasons we use nitrogen on our aircraft tires were we see large fluctuations in temps and the occasional brake fire. Figure if it's good enough for my airplane it's good enough for my Subbie.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast