[Question] Reliability and other opinions
+ Reply to Thread

This is a discussion on [Question] Reliability and other opinions within the General Maintenance, Troubleshooting & Accidents. forums, part of the Tech & Modifying & General Repairs category; Hello all! I would like to preface this post saying that I am completely new to this site (hence this ...

[Question] Reliability and other opinions

Hello all!

I would like to preface this post saying that I am completely new to this site (hence this being my first post), and apologize if this is in the wrong category or if I am breaking any rules. I hope to become a more active member here, and this thread will help with that.

I am looking into buying a 2002 WRX to become my project baby. Not my "she is not running now and will be a headache to get her running" but a "I want to baby her and make her even better than before" project.
    I have found a suitable one with the following details:

• completely stock (besides a deck, speakers, and an intake).
    • 144,000 miles (only 85,000 miles on current engine)
    • smogged
    • and I am told it hasn't been abused (described as being driven like a grandma)

The deal is great as I am paying only kelly blue book for it. It had the clutch replaced at 115,000 miles, and also got new motor and tranny mounts, as well as an axle and wheel bearing replaced at the same time.

My concern is how long this car can go for without many problems.

Then on top of that, what are some common issues that I might see with this car?

Lastly out of curiosity, I am wondering what an engine rebuild does, and how much longer the car can go on average.
    If I have left any details out, just ask (if you feel like helping). I know engine rebuilds depend on what went wrong, but I am curious about some of the more common things.

I really appreciate any time you have taken to read this, and hope I am not breaking any rules.

Thanks a lot,
    religi0n

2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements

I Support ClubWRX
    Quote Originally Posted by religi0n View Post
    My concern is how long this car can go for without many problems.
    You know exactly how long though: 144,000 mi on the chassis minus 85,000 mi on the motor means the car went 59,000 mi before catastrophic failure. I find this underwhelming.

Then on top of that, what are some common issues that I might see with this car?
    The greatest concern for reliability is the owner. However you have excellent info already -- you have a service history of sorts, and you also have the owner's assurance that it hasn't been abused and that the owner drives like a grandma.

Therefore, the owner abused the car.

Lastly out of curiosity, I am wondering what an engine rebuild does,
    This varies depending on what was wrong initially and whether only what's wrong is fixed or if there is "while it's apart" syndrome that leads to more things being done. It can vary from a quick once-over the block and new gaskets (not really a rebuild but then again what is reality these days) to big ends, pistons, rings, valve job, polishing etc. Depends.

and how much longer the car can go on average.
    Nobody knows.

The motor should not have failed in the first place. 60K is a "new" motor.

Most common fault is the owner. Then it's unauthorized or imitation parts that cause trouble. See the how-to-buy threads in the purchasing forum for things that you should check (on another car, not this one if it were my time and money).
    WRX Info Links, Courtesy TheJ
    Man is a brute.... If you're cruel to him, he respects and fears you. If you're kind to him, he plucks your eyes out. Alexis Zorbas
    I lied. I cheated. I bribed men to cover the crimes of other men. I am an accessory to murder. But the most damning thing of all... I think I can live with it. And if I had to do it all over again - I would. Benjamin Sisko
    DISCLAIMER: Opinions expressed are the author's alone and are inherently worthless.

+ Reply to Thread

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself. We strongly suggest that you stay away from using aol, yahoo, msn, and hotmail accounts. Sometimes the mail server blocks the emails from our server. As a result you will not receive any notifications including the confirmation email.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.