Engine Support Assy

This is a discussion on Engine Support Assy within the General Maintenance, Troubleshooting & Accidents. forums, part of the Tech & Modifying & General Repairs category; Question before clucth change: Subaru manual says that I should use Engine Support Assy tool after removing the pitching stopper. ...

Engine Support Assy

Question before clucth change:
    Subaru manual says that I should use Engine Support Assy tool after removing the pitching stopper.
    CAUTION:
    Step (4) is required to prevent interference with
    engine when removing engine from transmission.

Is it really MUST DO thing or I can skip it without serious consequences (brake my engine mounts etc.)?

Tõnis

2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements

As someone who changed his own clutch mostly by myself, I can say that the engine support tool would have been helpful.

Basically, when you remove the pitching stopper, the engine/tranny can tilt forwards and backwards freely. When the you're trying to remove the transmission, or trying to line it up to put it back in, any movement in the engine can be annoying, since there's binding on the input shaft.

I used a ratcheting tie down strap to hold the motor, but it still allowed for a lot of motor movement. If you're creative, you can hack together your own engine support assembly tool.