TROUBLE CAR SHUTS OFF WHEN DRIVING RANDOMLY

This is a discussion on TROUBLE CAR SHUTS OFF WHEN DRIVING RANDOMLY within the General Maintenance, Troubleshooting & Accidents. forums, part of the Tech & Modifying & General Repairs category; the title says it after it shuts off i pull over and the starter kicks over and is on the ...

TROUBLE CAR SHUTS OFF WHEN DRIVING RANDOMLY

the title says it after it shuts off i pull over and the starter kicks over and is on the car is not out of battery i have all power but after i turn the key as soon as i turn it back the car shuts off and will not start. Tried it many times one time i had to wait like 50 mins and then it started randomly. It happened again like 2 weeks later but it was 20 mins that time... any ideas on what this may be? i brought it in to a shop and they said they checked the car completely cant find anything wrong with it.

2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements

I have no idea what you're saying in that first sentence...
    Scott
    Past Subies - '11 STI Limited stage 1+ and '04 STi stage 2+
    '13 Wrangler Rubicon - custom front bumper w/12k lb winch & off-road lights, skid plates, diff guards, etc.
    '04 Porsche 911 Turbo GT2 clone 600 HP/TQ
    '77 F-150 heavily modded for off-roading

Quote Originally Posted by teflon_jones View Post
    I have no idea what you're saying in that first sentence...
    my car randomly shut off when i was driving it down the high way i pulled it over and tried to start it back up and it would not stay running it would kick over like you could hear the starter trying to start the car but as soon as i let go of the key the car completely shuts off and the battery was not dead

I Support ClubWRX
    do you notice the security light flashing at all?

Lead Wrench @ WTF Tuning, LLC

i never looked next time it happens i will pay attention to that i actually dont know

I Support ClubWRX
    possibility the car is throwing itself into valet mode. I cant tell you why these cars seem to do that or why they seem to shut off and not restart without sitting for a big length of time but they do when they get put into valet mode.

oh wow i never heard of that i had mechanics look at it and they said everything looked fine they thought it could be the fuel pump but they said they checked it and it seemed to be working fine any suggestions you can give me to deal with this problem?

I Support ClubWRX
    you can take it in to a subaru dealer and have them do the "master reset" which puts the car back in to normal mode. Typically they can tell you how to do it over the phone if you ask how to get your car out of valet mode. fuel pump can be checked by testing pressure at the filter. Have you replaced your filter recently or regularly maintained the car? 30K is replacement for spark plugs and fuel filters.

i just got new spark plugs not long ago also i got a new fuel filter to my car has regular maintenance and brought in for tune ups, that was actually my next idea is to call Subaru and bring it to them and have them look at it thank you very much and i will for sure check the security light if this problem happens again. It can be good for weeks at a time with no problems then just all of a sudden it dies like this i am extremely confused