oil pump faliures discovered ?

This is a discussion on oil pump faliures discovered ? within the General Maintenance, Troubleshooting & Accidents. forums, part of the Tech & Modifying & General Repairs category; Oil Pickup Story - Subaru Oil Pickup Failure...

oil pump faliures discovered ?

2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements

ClubWRX.net Vendor adam@kronosperformance's Avatar
    I Support ClubWRX
    Yes, people know about it.

The thing is this...why are they cracking? Could it be due to people using the wrong oil? Could it be due to low oil levels and the pick ups are overheating?

I wouldn't worry too much about that because not everyone with a WRX or STi has a cracked pickup.

If I were you, I'd be more concerned with having switching to an STi oil pan to help with saving yourself from having bearing issues.

We sell a kit to help you switch it: Kronos's STI Oil Pan Swap Kit Kronos's STI Oil Pan Swap Kit [] - $187.75 : Kronos Performance, Leading since 6th Century BC
    ClubWRX.net's #1 Vendor! - www.kronosperformance.com - Call/Text 732-742-8837 |
    AIM Screenname - KronosParts | GoogleTalk - sales@kronosperformance.com | Military Discount
    Kronos has Special Pricings on Process West & Agency Power!
    CONTACT US DIRECTLY FOR SPECIALS AND PROMOTIONS

I Support ClubWRX I Support ClubWRX
    Cracked pickups was news about 7 years ago. Although I suppose it is good to relive the past every once in a while so new comers will learn.

OEM pickups crack because they are made of thin pressed metal, that is bent in half to make a tube. Then it is brazed on to the flange, and you can tell by the coloration that the torch used to braze the metal heated it up quite a bit. This causes the metal to become brittle and weaken.. that combined with the fact that it is attached to the block and experiences considerable amounts of vibration on a daily basis it's no surprise that they end up cracking (just below where it is brazed).

I went with the KillerB Ultimate pickup, KillerB windage tray, and ej257 oil pan with my last build for insurance.

eBay - New & used electronics, cars, apparel, collectibles, sporting goods & more at low prices

i just ran across this on ebay 47 sold already and no complaints i seen........ ps lol my engine already went so im rebuilding with sti crank and manley pistons 79mm kit and was gonna do 272 cams nitrited valves and BC springs and retainers but heard i can use just retainers but are chromoly retainers ok or should i use titanium ?

the link added takes u too the oil pump if ya wanna look

and i wanna use this as daily driver any takes on some goodies i should add i bought hks 3 inch downpipe already got it brand new for 175 on ebay want a list if have any good ideas plus i know tranny anly good for 300 hp sti or build kit for the 5 speed ?

I Support ClubWRX I Support ClubWRX
    Is that a genuine KillerB pickup, or a knock off? I would only buy the real thing. I would watch out buying stuff like that on eBay because there are Chinese companies that make knock off products that look like the real thing, but are made with inferior materials and people try to sell them as legit parts.

If you're going to use aggressive cams you will need stiffer springs as well as new retainers, not just the retainers.

As far as the transmission goes, that's up to you. The housing of the 5 speed is good up to 500hp with the right internals, after that you need the six speed because the 5 speed case will flex too much. The 5 speed is considerably lighter, if that makes a difference.