Is this normal?
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

This is a discussion on Is this normal? within the General Maintenance, Troubleshooting & Accidents. forums, part of the Tech & Modifying & General Repairs category; So I know Subaru says the first oil change at 7500 although I got a little weary when I hit ...

Is this normal?

So I know Subaru says the first oil change at 7500 although I got a little weary when I hit 5700 and decided to call the dealer. The dealer recommended 3700 and suggested I come in ASAP which I did. After it was done I pick the car up and notice on the receipt a note from the tech - OIL LEVEL WAS LOW, RECOMMENDED ON ALL TURBO MODELS TO CHECK AND TOP OFF ENGINE OIL LEVEL IN BETWEEN CHANGES- my wife had a 13 year corolla with 160,000 miles on it that we added oil every 2 weeks but 2012 car? It's my daily driver and most of my drive is in rush hour, I like to push it once and awhile but no redlining it or bringing it to the track. Is this normal? Or could there be something wrong with the car? Feedback is appreciated

2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements

I Support ClubWRX
    Oil use has not stabilized. Check regularly, note how much is used, and see what happens as the motor continues to break in. Since you don't know what was missing you can't say if it's abnormal or not. I'd not worry, but I'd watch it.
    WRX Info Links, Courtesy TheJ
    Man is a brute.... If you're cruel to him, he respects and fears you. If you're kind to him, he plucks your eyes out. Alexis Zorbas
    I lied. I cheated. I bribed men to cover the crimes of other men. I am an accessory to murder. But the most damning thing of all... I think I can live with it. And if I had to do it all over again - I would. Benjamin Sisko
    DISCLAIMER: Opinions expressed are the author's alone and are inherently worthless.

make it a habit of checking the oil at least every 1000 miles just to see how its behaving. i take it you didn't check it at all for 5700 miles. just take note of how much is in there now and check it often.
    2011 WRX Limited w/ Nav, Performance Auto Solutions Tuned by Dave - 349awhp 366 ft/lbs @ 19psi E85
    Enkei PF01s, AEM Intake, PW TMIC, TS Kompact BPV, Invidia Q300 Catless Turboback, GS EBCS
    GS Uppipe, Tial MV-S 38mm EWG, FIC 1100cc Injectors, DW DW65c FP, PTP Turbo Blanket, Zeitronix ECA Gauge
    AEM Wideband & Boost Gauges, SMY Cluster, SPT Short Throw Shifter/Bushing, Anarchy Motive Shift Knob, 30% Tint

Going to keep an eye on it just makes me nervous that they noticed it was low, I'm sure they don't measure it when they drain it so I'm thinking it was so low not much came out. It may be good advice from them although it would have been more helpful info before I took it off the lot

I Support ClubWRX
    I seem to recall the owner's manual instructs that the oil be checked at every fuel fill or something to that effect.
    Man is a brute.... If you're cruel to him, he respects and fears you. If you're kind to him, he plucks your eyes out. Alexis Zorbas
    I lied. I cheated. I bribed men to cover the crimes of other men. I am an accessory to murder. But the most damning thing of all... I think I can live with it. And if I had to do it all over again - I would. Benjamin Sisko
    DISCLAIMER: Opinions expressed are the author's alone and are inherently worthless.

Thanks need to read it closer, did you experience any loss initially ?

I Support ClubWRX
    I seem to recall I did, yes. I would check weekly or so and did my first change at 3K, and it'd been half a L down at that point I think. After 20K on the motor it stabilized to 250 ml - 500 ml per 5K, then went up a bit more as the motor aged. Now at 120K it's around 750K per 5K oil drain interval or so, depending on what oil I use and how it's driven.

K thanks for the response appreciated

i wouldnt worry too much about it until you actually start monitoring it. i havent had to top off yet and im already at 30k miles. i did keep a close eye on it for a while, but it never made it below the halfway mark on the dipstick at any point, and i've gone up to 5k before a change. i did however change the oil around 3k since i was at the dealer already getting a fuel door spring replaced.
    2011 WRX Limited w/ Nav, Performance Auto Solutions Tuned by Dave - 349awhp 366 ft/lbs @ 19psi E85
    Enkei PF01s, AEM Intake, PW TMIC, TS Kompact BPV, Invidia Q300 Catless Turboback, GS EBCS
    GS Uppipe, Tial MV-S 38mm EWG, FIC 1100cc Injectors, DW DW65c FP, PTP Turbo Blanket, Zeitronix ECA Gauge
    AEM Wideband & Boost Gauges, SMY Cluster, SPT Short Throw Shifter/Bushing, Anarchy Motive Shift Knob, 30% Tint

Be happy you brought it in early! (This being my first car, and I was learning, etc. don't worry i got a ton of abuse on this forum for the mistakes ive made as a dumb teenager, but ive since grown up) My dealer delivered my car with 27 miles on the clock (brandy new) and the guy who delivered it said, "bring it in around 7k-7,500 and they will do a real quick check up on it then send you on your way. well, 6k miles roles along and i sound like marbles in a tin can going down the road. I call my dealership, send it in, and sure enough had a blown motor. They realized this was not due to any fault on my part (besides not checking the oil, although i was instructed, and had a sticker on the window which read, 'next service 7,500') They replaced my motor and whatever else had gone with it under warrantee. When i picked it up with the new motor, I told them I would see them in 1k miles, then in 3k, then i would change it every 6k from then on. I can't tell you how far my heart dropped hearing that blown motor run, I thought my dad would sell the car and buy me a smart for two (I know, a kid shouldnt have a sports car as is, but I come from a family whos real into cars)

forgot to mention, when the dealership got the car, it only had a half qt of oil in it. I now check the oil every single time I gas up

Captain James of the SS Impreza has gone down with the ship Drews's Avatar
    I Support ClubWRX
    Quote Originally Posted by SD_GR View Post
    I seem to recall the owner's manual instructs that the oil be checked at every fuel fill or something to that effect.
    I do this anyway. I also carry extra oil in the trunk, just in case.
    Hawk-Eye Alliance #Eleventy,000,000,000|N.E.R.D. Member 20,000
    Stable: 2014 Hyundai Veloster Turbo (Matte Grey), 06 LGT, 03 WRX, 98 RS, 00 OBS

Resident Clubdub Debbie Downer. I'd love your ideas if you kept them to yourself. Subarus suck, get a new wife.

Never argue with idiots. They'll drag you to their level and beat you with experience.

holy crap where did all your oil go?

Admiral Ackbar the 1st mycologist's Avatar
    I Support ClubWRX
    Once you use up enough to damage the motor, the rest can disappear rapidly.
    "From a little spark may burst a mighty flame." - Dante
    "The stitch is lost unless the thread is knotted." - Italian proverb

too bad our cars dont have an oil level sensor like my BMWs did.

i remember i had to fill my 92 525i with a quart of oil every 2500 miles

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself. We strongly suggest that you stay away from using aol, yahoo, msn, and hotmail accounts. Sometimes the mail server blocks the emails from our server. As a result you will not receive any notifications including the confirmation email.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.