Is this normal? - Page 3
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

This is a discussion on Is this normal? within the General Maintenance, Troubleshooting & Accidents. forums, part of the Tech & Modifying & General Repairs category; Originally Posted by Asharus from what ive seen, it's just luck of the draw. some break their cars in the ...

Quote Originally Posted by Asharus View Post
    from what ive seen, it's just luck of the draw. some break their cars in the same manner, but one will lose a quart within a change, some dont.

my definition of "normal" would be to go 3k to 5k miles without having to top off oil. i've had cars in the past that needed topping off at 2k or even 1k.

unfortunately, most car manufacturers state in their manuals otherwise.

also, it has been said that turbo cars tend to consume more oil than conventional engines, and i have been told by many to check oil regularly, and will continue to do so...

FYI my buddy has a 2008 A4 2.0T and he has to top off his oil every 1k...
    Wowsers. I drive 120 miles a day.

I think we should all just pick up some Royal Purple stock right now.

EDIT: When exactly does one *need* to top off? Just when it's halfway to the "low" mark or once it actually gets to the "low" mark? And I agree - I think it would be perfectly normal to not have to top off before 5k. Because you should be getting an oil change then anyway and thus never need to top off.
    "Ah, it is the fault of our science that it wants to explain all; and if it explain not, then it says there is nothing to explain."
    -Van Helsing, from Bram Stoker's ​Dracula

2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements

Quote Originally Posted by etnpnys View Post
    Ok wait wait wait... I'll restate the title of the thread: "Is this normal?" I mean, is it normal for our cars to go through oil at all? Or is this something that is rare but not unheard of? Like Asharus said, he's never had to top it off and he's at 30k already, but burning oil at all isn't exactly my definition of "reliable."

"Reliable" to me is a lot like my last Toyota (2005 Matrix XR): "Oops I didn't get around to changing the oil at 5k and I'm now at 6500" and the car is no worse for wear.

In the wisdom of Robby Hart: "This is information that would have been useful to me yesterday..."
    It is normal to go through oil, it is normal to not have to add oil that much. I personally think that these cars use more oil depending on how they are driven. I could be very wrong, but I getthe feeling the more you're high up in the gear (with the turbo spooled) then you're likely to go through more oil.

As for reliability, you gotta remember, this is also a sports car, for a sports car, they r pretty dang reliable if yaou ask me haha, my buddy's bmw 328 was in the shop more then his garage, now that thing was unreliable....

Quote Originally Posted by Mike193 View Post
    It is normal to go through oil, it is normal to not have to add oil that much. I personally think that these cars use more oil depending on how they are driven. I could be very wrong, but I getthe feeling the more you're high up in the gear (with the turbo spooled) then you're likely to go through more oil.

As for reliability, you gotta remember, this is also a sports car, for a sports car, they r pretty dang reliable if yaou ask me haha, my buddy's bmw 328 was in the shop more then his garage, now that thing was unreliable....
    Good point. My 120 miles/day is 99% highway. And I'm sure that's a lot different to the engine than somebody putting 120 miles of stoplight dragster racing.
    "Ah, it is the fault of our science that it wants to explain all; and if it explain not, then it says there is nothing to explain."
    -Van Helsing, from Bram Stoker's ​Dracula

my buddy "tops off" his audi once his oil low light comes on, which means its exactly 1 quart below the max. this is how i used to do it on my 1992 525i as well. unfortunately for us, we dont have an idiot light.

anywhere between the min and max mark on the dipstick is fine, and the entire area indicates 1 quart. so if you reach the min mark, filling in 1 quart of oil should put you on the max mark

also, the reason for me not using much oil makes sense, because the majority of my miles are on the highway. i do like to go WOT and redline once in a while however, however i rarely take it to redline.
    2011 WRX Limited w/ Nav, Performance Auto Solutions Tuned by Dave - 349awhp 366 ft/lbs @ 19psi E85
    Enkei PF01s, AEM Intake, PW TMIC, TS Kompact BPV, Invidia Q300 Catless Turboback, GS EBCS
    GS Uppipe, Tial MV-S 38mm EWG, FIC 1100cc Injectors, DW DW65c FP, PTP Turbo Blanket, Zeitronix ECA Gauge
    AEM Wideband & Boost Gauges, SMY Cluster, SPT Short Throw Shifter/Bushing, Anarchy Motive Shift Knob, 30% Tint

Admiral Ackbar the 1st mycologist's Avatar
    I Support ClubWRX
    It needs to remain in between the low and high mark, on level ground, after it has settled, and it doesn't take much to top it off so go slow and let it settle in between adding aliquots.

Subaru turbo boxer motors will use some oil, or not. Both are considered normal. It is hard to say where Subaru draws the line, but I personally would be complaining if it was going through >1 qt. / 3750 miles but I have heard of considerably more. Also, that is when I would change it unless you have independent analyses done.
    "From a little spark may burst a mighty flame." - Dante
    "The stitch is lost unless the thread is knotted." - Italian proverb

I Support ClubWRX
    my buddy "tops off" his audi once his oil low light comes on, which means its exactly 1 quart below the max. this is how i used to do it on my 1992 525i as well. unfortunately for us, we dont have an idiot light.

anywhere between the min and max mark on the dipstick is fine, and the entire area indicates 1 quart. so if you reach the min mark, filling in 1 quart of oil should put you on the max mark

also, the reason for me not using much oil makes sense, because the majority of my miles are on the highway. i do like to go WOT and redline once in a while however, however i rarely take it to redline.
    Are you 100% sure it is one quart on the new cars? I think there is a very good chance it is .5 qt. from low to high marks.

dunno but i've always considered that to be the standard on all cars, i guess we'll have to break out the manual
    2011 WRX Limited w/ Nav, Performance Auto Solutions Tuned by Dave - 349awhp 366 ft/lbs @ 19psi E85
    Enkei PF01s, AEM Intake, PW TMIC, TS Kompact BPV, Invidia Q300 Catless Turboback, GS EBCS
    GS Uppipe, Tial MV-S 38mm EWG, FIC 1100cc Injectors, DW DW65c FP, PTP Turbo Blanket, Zeitronix ECA Gauge
    AEM Wideband & Boost Gauges, SMY Cluster, SPT Short Throw Shifter/Bushing, Anarchy Motive Shift Knob, 30% Tint

Yes, it's very normal to burn oil. Flat engines tend to burn oil due to their configurations, and so do turbos. A quart every 2k miles is perfectly normal. Some engines will burn a quart ever 1k, and some will go 5k before they burn a quart. Any of those is normal.
    Scott
    Past Subies - '11 STI Limited stage 1+ and '04 STi stage 2+
    '13 Wrangler Rubicon - custom front bumper w/12k lb winch & off-road lights, skid plates, diff guards, etc.
    '04 Porsche 911 Turbo GT2 clone 600 HP/TQ
    '77 F-150 heavily modded for off-roading

LOL yep, it's unfortunate but even though it varies that much, they all fit within "normal"

I Support ClubWRX
    dunno but i've always considered that to be the standard on all cars, i guess we'll have to break out the manual
    Yeah, for 2012 apparently it is correct (1.1 qt.).

cool, i tried searching before on the subaru site but i gave up after i got distracted when i started reading the quick reference guide.

apparently we can fold the rear seat headrest down? lol didnt even know this.... i have to move up my passenger side seat sometimes so i can fold the passenger side rear seat down.

good info thanks my service guy told me not to bring mine back for service untill 7500 miles..think i will bring it in around 4-5000 ...thanks for all the info my car only has 1100 miles on it but i have not checked the oil will do that tonight

normal
    ++ + ++P3LLA++ + ++

06 STi ( Stage II ) BOOSTED
    HAWK-EYE ALLIANCE # 808

i know oil consumption at dealer level is 1 qt per 750 miles considered normal

lol that totally sucks

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast