Popping out of 1st

This is a discussion on Popping out of 1st within the General Maintenance, Troubleshooting & Accidents. forums, part of the Tech & Modifying & General Repairs category; I am in need of a little help. I was wondering if anyone else was/is having this problem when in ...

Popping out of 1st

I am in need of a little help. I was wondering if anyone else was/is having this problem when in first gear. As I am leaving my development in first gear (about 100 ft) I go on a slight down hill and the car pops out of gear. I do not have my foot on the clutch and it seems to only happen at this point in any of my drives. I have made sure that the car is completely in gear and it still seems to happen every now and again. I have a 2012 WRX with about 4k. Should I be taking this to the dealer?

Thank you in advance.

2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements

Captain James of the SS Impreza has gone down with the ship Drews's Avatar
    I Support ClubWRX
    Yeah...take it to the dealer. It could something as simple as a clutch adjustment. Or it could be a factory defect with a synchro or something. There is only one way to find out.
    Hawk-Eye Alliance #Eleventy,000,000,000|N.E.R.D. Member 20,000
    Stable: 2014 Hyundai Veloster Turbo (Matte Grey), 06 LGT, 03 WRX, 98 RS, 00 OBS

Resident Clubdub Debbie Downer. I'd love your ideas if you kept them to yourself. Subarus suck, get a new wife.

Never argue with idiots. They'll drag you to their level and beat you with experience.

I've never had mine pop out of gear, but sometimes when I depress the clutch and go to shift it will come flying out of gear like there was some sort of pressure building up that was relased when I depressed the clutch. That's somewhat concerning to me, but it happens so infrequently that I've just attributed it to something that I did on that particular shift like maybe I kept my foot on the gas pedal.

I Support ClubWRX
    yeah i would take it to the dealer, make them look at it and fix it. thats what a warranty is for
    2011 Subaru WRX Premium
    1988 Ford Mustang GT
    2000 Jeep Wrangler TJ

Admiral Ackbar the 1st mycologist's Avatar
    I Support ClubWRX
    Yeah, to the dealer for sure. It shouldn't do that ever.
    "From a little spark may burst a mighty flame." - Dante
    "The stitch is lost unless the thread is knotted." - Italian proverb

Thanks everyone for the input. To the dealer it will go. I always feel like an idiot when it happens because I go to take off from the stop sign and I do not always notice until I rev my engine. Last time it was at a guy and his two dogs and I’m sure he was real happy about me revving my engine at him.

@meyerdanielw I had this happen twice in the past two weeks. I go to shift from 1st to 2nd and it will come out with some force behind it. 2014 wrx with 4000 miles btw. I'm not sure if it's me not shifting into 1st correctly starting from a stop or what

Quote Originally Posted by k2b4e View Post
    @meyerdanielw I had this happen twice in the past two weeks. I go to shift from 1st to 2nd and it will come out with some force behind it. 2014 wrx with 4000 miles btw. I'm not sure if it's me not shifting into 1st correctly starting from a stop or what
    Quote Originally Posted by BlackOut55 View Post
    Thanks everyone for the input. To the dealer it will go. I always feel like an idiot when it happens because I go to take off from the stop sign and I do not always notice until I rev my engine. Last time it was at a guy and his two dogs and I’m sure he was real happy about me revving my engine at him.
    I had this happen in my old Z when my syncronizers went bad. I was just driving along then all of a sudden it would jump out of 1st, with a crap ton of force. The first time it happened my thumb was resting on the shifter and I thought it broke my thumb.

damn haha mine isn't that bad, it doesn't do it just randomly when i am driving. Just sometimes when i shift from first to second it has little more spring behind it than it would say going from 1st to neutral