02 WRX Won't Start, HAs power, acts like Battery is dead..... HELP!!!!!

This is a discussion on 02 WRX Won't Start, HAs power, acts like Battery is dead..... HELP!!!!! within the General Maintenance, Troubleshooting & Accidents. forums, part of the Tech & Modifying & General Repairs category; Back in January my 02 WRX had a issue with starting. I can get in the car turn the key ...

02 WRX Won't Start, HAs power, acts like Battery is dead..... HELP!!!!!

Back in January my 02 WRX had a issue with starting. I can get in the car turn the key and it will start right up most times. Then there are times i get in it, turn the key and my whole gauge cluster dies out and it wont start or turn over ( acts like a dead battery )..... I cycle key on - off numerous times and finally it will start. A couple times i went under the hood wiggled the power and ground on battery thinking it might help. The terminals did seem a lil loose so i tightened them both up, but same thing still happens. Replaced all the grounds, and a new ignition switch, and the problem went away for about 2 months.

Now it is back again, had AAA come and the guy put a jump pack on the car and amazingly the car started up. But as soon as i shut it off it acts up again. Was told my battery had dead cells and that was the problem. So i went out and bought a new battery, installed it and cleaned all terminals. worked perfect for a day. Come out this morning and same problem all over again. Turn key on everything works, as soon as i try to turn the car over the whole cars electrical goes dead, as soon as i turn the key back off and on i have full power again.... Trying to love my 1st subaru but its getting harder by the day

2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements

I Support ClubWRX
    All cars can get gremlins.

It is entirely possible you got a bad battery (has happened to me), or your charging system isn't working well.
    "From a little spark may burst a mighty flame." - Dante
    "The stitch is lost unless the thread is knotted." - Italian proverb

I Support ClubWRX
    Test the charging system.
    Resident Adviser @ WTF Tuning, LLC
    2002 FORESTER S
    1998 FORESTER S