Power Steering/Alternator belt replaced, now how to get PS working again??

This is a discussion on Power Steering/Alternator belt replaced, now how to get PS working again?? within the General Maintenance, Troubleshooting & Accidents. forums, part of the Tech & Modifying & General Repairs category; Hi, I have a 2004 WRX non-turbo, automatic...okay it's my girlfriend's car, I wouldn't buy an automatic WRX... Nevertheless, her ...

Power Steering/Alternator belt replaced, now how to get PS working again??

Hi,

I have a 2004 WRX non-turbo, automatic...okay it's my girlfriend's car, I wouldn't buy an automatic WRX...

Nevertheless, her alternator/ps belt blew about a week ago, so she pulled it into a parking lot and left it there. I picked it up and muscled it home without power steering, takes effort but not really difficult. Popped the hood, the belt was shredded. Bought a new belt (a good one, not just the cheapest I could find), replaced it with care, everything seems to be in working order regarding the belt. I popped the hood with the engine running and it was rotating just fine, aligned correctly into the grooves and everything. The

So my question is, is there something else I need to do in addition to the belt replacement before the power steering will re-engage? I was surprised (not being a mechanic) putting the new belt in didn't bring the PS back. The car starts just fine, so I'm assuming the alternator isn't the issue. Although I think the battery light is on, so does that indicate a problem with the belt installation regarding the link to the alternator? Could the PS pump now be the problem? Trying to avoid having to take it to a garage...

When I was replacing the belt, I think I might've loosed the left-most bolt a little too much (the long, vertical one adjacent to the alternator), as I thought I heard something drop (maybe a washer?), and now I cannot tighten that bolt, it just spins and stays loose. I tried to shake the alternator to see if that meant it'd be loose as a result, but as I had already tightened the other two bolts, it seemed plenty secure. So is that bolt I can't tighten the problem? Is it a ground for the alternator, or for some other reason causes the PS and alternator to not be powered by the belt? Any advice is greatly, greatly appreciated. I want my Jeep back and need to get the woman's WRX running again before I get my truck back. Any help is extremely appreciated!!!!

2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements

I Support ClubWRX
    From the description, neither the alternator nor the steering are getting correct power because the belt is too loose. The vertical bolt is the tensioner. Find another nut and tighten the belt to correct tension (a rule of thumb is to not allow more deflection on the belt than the belt is wide).
    WRX Info Links, Courtesy TheJ
    The world breaks everyone and afterward many are strong in the broken places. Ernest Hemingway
    I lied. I cheated. I bribed men to cover the crimes of other men. I am an accessory to murder. But the most damning thing of all... I think I can live with it. And if I had to do it all over again - I would. Benjamin Sisko
    DISCLAIMER: Opinions expressed are the author's alone and are inherently worthless.

Quote Originally Posted by SD_GR View Post
    From the description, neither the alternator nor the steering are getting correct power because the belt is too loose. The vertical bolt is the tensioner. Find another nut and tighten the belt to correct tension (a rule of thumb is to not allow more deflection on the belt than the belt is wide).
    Thank you, thank you, thank you...will go give it a shot and report back. So the battery light should turn off and the PS should come back if I've got it all in there correctly, sounds like. Thanks again!!