Low oil pressure light flicker?
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

This is a discussion on Low oil pressure light flicker? within the General Maintenance, Troubleshooting & Accidents. forums, part of the Tech & Modifying & General Repairs category; I just recently bought an 02 wrx and I was driving it the other day and I stopped at a ...

Low oil pressure light flicker?

I just recently bought an 02 wrx and I was driving it the other day and I stopped at a light and my low oil pressure lighte was flickering my rpms sit at 400 that seems really low but also why would the oil pressure light flicker has anyone had this issue?

2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements

Good news, everyone! xxxxxxxAnub1s's Avatar
    I Support ClubWRX
    The oil pressure light only comes on if the car detects low oil pressure. It could be a bad sign, but it could also mean that your oil level is either low, or that you REALLY need an oil change. Either way, I wouldn't drive it much until you get it figured out. Low oil pressure is nothing to take lightly, especially in a turbocharged engine.
    Cody
    Hawk-Eye Alliance #727 N.E.R.D #255.255.255.0

Your nighttime volunteer of near-useless information.
    Good news, everyone!

Admiral Ackbar the 1st mycologist's Avatar
    I Support ClubWRX
    ^+1

The oil pressure light is a "park immediately and get towed" light unless you can resolve it on the spot.
    "From a little spark may burst a mighty flame." - Dante
    "The stitch is lost unless the thread is knotted." - Italian proverb

Quote Originally Posted by mycologist View Post
    ^+1

The oil pressure light is a "park immediately and get towed" light unless you can resolve it on the spot.
    Well the guy I bought it off of did an engine swap from a 2.0 to an ej22 and someone advised him to put 10 w40 in... This is way to thin I changed the oil this morning to 5 w30 and my situation resolved itself

So no more light flickering?
    The Hawk-Eye Alliance #90|The Blobeye Syndicate #0|The Stink-Eye Mob #0|N.E.R.D. Founding Member & #3
    2012 Lightning Red WRX Sedan Stock...for now Soon to be OpenSource tuned by: Mattypants @ WTF Tuning
    "If I have 10 ice cubes and you have 11 giraffes, how many pancakes can fit on the roof? Purple, because aliens donít wear hats" -Ying

Did you check the oil level when it was flickering? That would be the obvious place to start...

Quote Originally Posted by Chas View Post
    Well the guy I bought it off of did an engine swap from a 2.0 to an ej22 and someone advised him to put 10 w40 in... This is way to thin I changed the oil this morning to 5 w30 and my situation resolved itself
    10w40 is thicker than 5w30 not thinner. Regardless, that wouldn't cause it.
    Scott
    Past Subies - '11 STI Limited stage 1+ and '04 STi stage 2+
    '13 Wrangler Rubicon - custom front bumper w/12k lb winch & off-road lights, skid plates, diff guards, etc.
    '04 Porsche 911 Turbo GT2 clone 600 HP/TQ
    '77 F-150 heavily modded for off-roading

I Support ClubWRX I Support ClubWRX
    Quote Originally Posted by teflon_jones View Post
    10w40 is thicker than 5w30 not thinner. Regardless, that wouldn't cause it.

yep

I Support ClubWRX
    Quote Originally Posted by Chas View Post
    This makes no sense.

Check the sending unit. If OK suspect a cracked pickup tube I suppose. Park.
    WRX Info Links, Courtesy TheJ
    The world breaks everyone and afterward many are strong in the broken places. Ernest Hemingway
    I lied. I cheated. I bribed men to cover the crimes of other men. I am an accessory to murder. But the most damning thing of all... I think I can live with it. And if I had to do it all over again - I would. Benjamin Sisko
    DISCLAIMER: Opinions expressed are the author's alone and are inherently worthless.

Quote Originally Posted by SD_GR View Post
    This makes no sense.

Check the sending unit. If OK suspect a cracked pickup tube I suppose. Park.
    It makes no sense unless the problem was simply a low oil level, which I'd strongly suspect if an oil change fixed the issue.
    Scott
    Past Subies - '11 STI Limited stage 1+ and '04 STi stage 2+
    '13 Wrangler Rubicon - custom front bumper w/12k lb winch & off-road lights, skid plates, diff guards, etc.
    '04 Porsche 911 Turbo GT2 clone 600 HP/TQ
    '77 F-150 heavily modded for off-roading

Well when I dropped the oil it felt real thin and its a brand new motor it's an ej22 motor. The oil level is fine but he had put a sti oil pump on there and it's bigger so im wondering if the sensor is not reading for the correct pressure for that engine because im pretty sure the sensors for a 2.0.... But this still doesn't explain why just an oil change helped(but not entirely fixed it). I was driving home from a concert last night not being concervitve bout my driving at all and it did it again at an idle

My idle is also at 400 rpms and that light only flickers when I'm about to stall it from not giving it gas or after the oil heats up and I sit at a light so it also could be that my idle is too low but idk how to adjust it

I Support ClubWRX
    Your idle is likely not at 400 because you cannot measure 400 with the tach. The first line on the tach is 500 and idle is usually the second line at 750. idle is not user adjustable generally without access to the electronics.

Park.
    The world breaks everyone and afterward many are strong in the broken places. Ernest Hemingway
    I lied. I cheated. I bribed men to cover the crimes of other men. I am an accessory to murder. But the most damning thing of all... I think I can live with it. And if I had to do it all over again - I would. Benjamin Sisko
    DISCLAIMER: Opinions expressed are the author's alone and are inherently worthless.

I Support ClubWRX
    Consider measuring pressure with a gauge fitted to be sure and again, better safe than sorry, park.

I'm probably going to throw a gauge on this week what's the pressure supposed to sit at?

I Support ClubWRX
    At 5000 RPM: 294 kPa minimum (43 PSI)
    At 800 RPM: 98 kPa minimum (14 PSI)

Sender tightening torque: 25 Nm (18 ft*lbs)

EDIT: CLAFIRYING: The numbers above are for a 2002 2.0L US turbo motor (what I own).
    Last edited by SD_GR; 04-14-2012 at 03:52 PM.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast