Power steering noise ?

This is a discussion on Power steering noise ? within the General Maintenance, Troubleshooting & Accidents. forums, part of the Tech & Modifying & General Repairs category; So I'm hearing that ugly whineing sound from my power steering when I turn .. The thing is I checked ...

Power steering noise ?

So I'm hearing that ugly whineing sound from my power steering when I turn .. The thing is I checked my fluid and it's full .. If anything it's a little bit above the full line .. Does anyone have an idea of what might be causing the sound?

2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements

I Support ClubWRX
    Hmm... One thing you might consider is to remove the belt to confirm the noise, then replace the belt with an authentic new belt and go to the correct tension. If it's the belt, the noise will go away. If it's not the belt then start suspecting the pump I suppose. It's the kind of thing a good mechanic can diagnose much better than remotely over the internet.
    WRX Info Links, Courtesy TheJ
    The world breaks everyone and afterward many are strong in the broken places. Ernest Hemingway
    I lied. I cheated. I bribed men to cover the crimes of other men. I am an accessory to murder. But the most damning thing of all... I think I can live with it. And if I had to do it all over again - I would. Benjamin Sisko
    DISCLAIMER: Opinions expressed are the author's alone and are inherently worthless.

Mine is doing the same thing. It's really bad when I turn. My y PS pump went out when I went "rallying" so I replaced it. Pump works but the noise is there. Not as bad if I'm just sitting or going straight. But really bad when I turn the wheel. Also my reservoir is now above the max line and I never added any more fluid. Been like this for a week now. Noise goes down a little after I drive around for a bit.

I talked to the mechanic that did my smog and he said that air might have gotten in the system and it needs to be bled out .. Another possibility could be that you need to flush it an put new fluid in there ... That's all i've gotten so far

ClubWRX.net Vendor adam@kronosperformance's Avatar
    I Support ClubWRX
    Yeah, I was going to say have you ever changed the fluid in it before. If not, I would do so. If you want some good synthetic fluid, let me know.
    ClubWRX.net's #1 Vendor! - www.kronosperformance.com - Call/Text 732-742-8837 |
    AIM Screenname - KronosParts | GoogleTalk - sales@kronosperformance.com | Military Discount
    Kronos has Special Pricings on Process West & Agency Power!
    CONTACT US DIRECTLY FOR SPECIALS AND PROMOTIONS

its just weird because I never made the noise before. I probably need to bleed it.

So I changed the clamps .. It stopped for a bit but came back after a while ... Can see some bubbles through the reservoir so im guessing I have to bleed it ? Also I only changed 4 clamps and didn't come across any that have an O ring .. I read that there are another two hidden on the rack but not sure where they are . Does any one have an idea where they are or where the hose with the O ring is located

Well .. It seems I skipped a crucial step of changing the O ring .. So I did it and problem fixed .. Woo hoo