Why did Subaru give us a spare tire?
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast

This is a discussion on Why did Subaru give us a spare tire? within the General Maintenance, Troubleshooting & Accidents. forums, part of the Tech & Modifying & General Repairs category; From what I have read mix matching tire sizes and tread patterns can lead to some differential damage so with ...

Why did Subaru give us a spare tire?

From what I have read mix matching tire sizes and tread patterns can lead to some differential damage so with that being said why did Subaru put a spare tire in the back if using it could lead to some expensive repairs?
    2007 WRX STI- Stock 13.8@102

2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements

Captain James of the SS Impreza has gone down with the ship Drews's Avatar
    I Support ClubWRX
    It may be able to get you out of a bad situation. You can't run them for extended periods of time, but to get you out of a jam they come in handy.
    Hawk-Eye Alliance #Eleventy,000,000,000|N.E.R.D. Member 20,000
    Stable: 2014 Hyundai Veloster Turbo (Matte Grey), 06 LGT, 03 WRX, 98 RS, 00 OBS

Resident Clubdub Debbie Downer. I'd love your ideas if you kept them to yourself. Subarus suck, get a new wife.

Never argue with idiots. They'll drag you to their level and beat you with experience.

Banned
    as long as the overall diameter of the spare is the same there wouldnt be any issues. plus your not supposed to drive on them long or at fast speeds anyway. width really wouldnt matter. I never looked at my spare but I think it should be the same diameter.

I Support ClubWRX
    Right, the spare is designed to get you back to civilisation.

Once there you're supposed to fix the problem with the full sized wheel and re-fit the full size.

By the way, it's an excellent idea to check the pressure on the spare routinely. I actually inflate mine to the max limit so that even if time passes it'll have enough pressure to get me home.
    WRX Info Links, Courtesy TheJ
    Man is a brute.... If you're cruel to him, he respects and fears you. If you're kind to him, he plucks your eyes out. Alexis Zorbas
    I lied. I cheated. I bribed men to cover the crimes of other men. I am an accessory to murder. But the most damning thing of all... I think I can live with it. And if I had to do it all over again - I would. Benjamin Sisko
    DISCLAIMER: Opinions expressed are the author's alone and are inherently worthless.

I Support ClubWRX
    Agreed.Any spare tire on any car is just for getting you to the nearest repair shop,not to drive around on.
    T0ny
    2011 WRX
    2012 FXT

The Big 2011/2012 Mod Thread

Ooh,hang on. That is the throb of a turbocharged flat four engine. A sound which,all over the world,heralds the imminent arrival of a moron - JC.

Id never drive around on a spare on any car for a long period of time I just thought that I had read of issues of differential problems b/c all the tires were not properly matched and I figured the spare would fall into that category.

I Support ClubWRX
    The spare is OK to use provided you have also continued using the mains fitted originally with the car. That is, if your original diameter is still present the spare is correct. If you have gone taller/shorter with aftermarket wheels though, the spare will no longer be correct. How incorrect it will be will of course vary.
    Man is a brute.... If you're cruel to him, he respects and fears you. If you're kind to him, he plucks your eyes out. Alexis Zorbas
    I lied. I cheated. I bribed men to cover the crimes of other men. I am an accessory to murder. But the most damning thing of all... I think I can live with it. And if I had to do it all over again - I would. Benjamin Sisko
    DISCLAIMER: Opinions expressed are the author's alone and are inherently worthless.

makes sense

I was actually wondering the same thing recently. Obviously you don't want to drive far on the spare, but I was wondering just how far you could go on a brand new spare with moderately worn tires on the other corners. I guess it is just important to get into the first tire shop possible, or get the car towed (flatbed of course) if you have AAA and time.

I Support ClubWRX
    Quote Originally Posted by rage-wrx View Post
    Agreed.Any spare tire on any car is just for getting you to the nearest repair shop,not to drive around on.
    You have obviously never driven through Pittsburgh....here you will see the dinky donut spares on cars for months as if it were an old fashioned fullsize spare.

I am not sure about the spare that came with my rex, but my old CRX had stamped on the spare tire something about under 50mph and 50 mile range.
    Stink-Eye Mob #39
    N.E.R.D. Operative #8

I Support ClubWRX
    Yes there is a speed limit on the spare. It's also I think in the manual.

Quote Originally Posted by Venom351R View Post
    why did Subaru put a spare tire in the back if using it could lead to some expensive repairs?
    So that you can put a spare tire sub in it
    I have a low Reynolds number

TP Stage 1 - 2012 WRX Premium 5-Door SWP
    Pics!

so if i upgraded to 18s do i need to get a diff spare or will i be ok in case of emergency

I Support ClubWRX
    That depends on whether you have changed the overall diameter of the wheel + tyre vs. the stock setup.

Admiral Ackbar the 1st mycologist's Avatar
    I Support ClubWRX
    Because it is the best way to light your differential on fire.

Differential ON FIRE today....
    "From a little spark may burst a mighty flame." - Dante
    "The stitch is lost unless the thread is knotted." - Italian proverb

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself. We strongly suggest that you stay away from using aol, yahoo, msn, and hotmail accounts. Sometimes the mail server blocks the emails from our server. As a result you will not receive any notifications including the confirmation email.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.