Why did Subaru give us a spare tire? - Page 4
+ Reply to Thread
Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

This is a discussion on Why did Subaru give us a spare tire? within the General Maintenance, Troubleshooting & Accidents. forums, part of the Tech & Modifying & General Repairs category; Correct me if I am wrong but with the New Rex's aren't they open diff's, and the VDC does the ...

Correct me if I am wrong but with the New Rex's aren't they open diff's, and the VDC does the traction transfer by means of the brakes?
    Until mountain biking came along, the bike scene was ruled by a small elite cadre of people who seemed allergic to enthusiasm. ~Jacquie Phelan

2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements

zax
    I Support ClubWRX I Support ClubWRX
    Quote Originally Posted by Sworks View Post
    Correct me if I am wrong but with the New Rex's aren't they open diff's, and the VDC does the traction transfer by means of the brakes?
    The front and rear, yes. The center is still the same old viscous locking diff.
    2015 CWP WRX STi ... But how did I get roped back into an EJ motor?!
    Zax's utterly unimaginably stock 2015 STi build thread
    Zax's Shaggin' Wagon Build Thread Now tuned for 99% pure Unicorn Jizz!

Zach | Moderator -- Mid-Atlantic States, Tech & Modifying & General Repairs
    Rollin' with the Bugeye Mafia #302 | N.E.R.D. Subject Zero
    Facebook me here

Your Mid-A local board: http://www.clubwrx.net/forums/mid-atlantic-states/

So a spare on a corner isn't going cause the front or rear diff any damage, therefore the big concern would only be towing with anything other than a flatbed, unless your dumb enough to run around drifting and pulling the e-brake.
    Until mountain biking came along, the bike scene was ruled by a small elite cadre of people who seemed allergic to enthusiasm. ~Jacquie Phelan

I Support ClubWRX
    Quote Originally Posted by Sworks View Post
    So a spare on a corner isn't going cause the front or rear diff any damage, therefore the big concern would only be towing with anything other than a flatbed, unless your dumb enough to run around drifting and pulling the e-brake.
    Prolly. I think this controversy really applies to older models with the rear LSD.
    Isaac -- 2003 WRX sedan Stg II - Gave its life for mine 6/2013.
    2007 Outback 3.0R wagon
    Proud owner of a N.E.R.D, Member 1.3810-23

The pursuit of knowledge is hopeless and eternal... Hooray!!! - Professor Farnsworth

Yeah I knew the older models had a better setup in the sense of the LSD's but wanted to make sure guys with the newer models knew that the spare tire issue prob wouldn't apply to them so they didn't go out and buy a full size spare or trade their cars in becasuse if they got a flat it was going to cost them $3K after they drove home with the spare mounted. Like anything its give and take, they took our LSD's and gave us the ability to run a spare to get home without smoking the diff. I would still rather have the LSD to the VDC though, just my .02

zax
    ^^ Not sure about that. At 97,000 chassis miles, I doubt my LSD is much of an LSD any longer...

Facebook me here

I Support ClubWRX
    Quote Originally Posted by zax View Post
    ^^ Not sure about that. At 97,000 chassis miles, I doubt my LSD is much of an LSD any longer...
    Yeah, all functionality being equal, I'd rather replace brake pads than diffs, but it's hung in there just fine for the last 95k miles, and will probably outlast the transmission anyway.
    2007 Outback 3.0R wagon

The pursuit of knowledge is hopeless and eternal... Hooray!!! - Professor Farnsworth

zax
    Viscous LSDs fail gracefully. They just become open diffs.

Facebook me here

thanks for all the replies everyone. Been awhile since Ive been on the site but plan to be more active now. One other question regarding this is that if someone were to get a flat and a spare was put on either front or rear would DCCD controller to transfer the TQ to the opposite end of where the spare is be recommended until you could get to a place to get it replaced or to limp you home? Or would adjusting the DCCD not matter in this situation?
    2007 WRX STI- Stock 13.8@102

I Support ClubWRX
    Adjusting the DCCD is not going to matter and it only has the ability to add bias to the rear anyways.
    Resident Adviser @ WTF Tuning, LLC
    2002 FORESTER S
    1998 FORESTER S

Thanks donkey

I linked this thread on another site and after reading through it again it brought up another question. We all know the cars are AWD and not to tow them w/ anything but a flatbed. But where should you put that sticker so others also know that? If its hidden away or put somewhere where no one will notice it what good would it do? Never know if you could be involved in an accident and not be present ( as far as at the hospital or something) when your car was towed away. When I totaled my ranger I was knocked out and had a huge bump on my forehead and I was taken to the hospital long before the tow trucks came around to tow my truck off. Granted it was totaled and would not have mattered as far as tow damage if it was a WRX/STI but I'm just saying this situation is possible.

I Support ClubWRX
    Most tow truck drivers know not to tow a Subaru unless they have a flatbed and when you call for a tow they ask for the make/model of the vehicle. Working as a firefighter I can tell you pretty much any auto accident you are getting a flatbed due to the fact they are betting on the car not being in great condition. I honestly don't even see the "dolly" type tow vehicles much any more.
    Resident Adviser @ WTF Tuning, LLC
    2002 FORESTER S
    1998 FORESTER S

I Support ClubWRX
    Quote Originally Posted by Donkey View Post
    Most tow truck drivers know not to tow a Subaru unless they have a flatbed and when you call for a tow they ask for the make/model of the vehicle. Working as a firefighter I can tell you pretty much any auto accident you are getting a flatbed due to the fact they are betting on the car not being in great condition. I honestly don't even see the "dolly" type tow vehicles much any more.
    Meanwhile, in NYC...

2007 Outback 3.0R wagon

I Support ClubWRX
    Quote Originally Posted by Rambo View Post
    Meanwhile, in NYC...
    We do things differently here.

You have AWD? Tough luck.
    T0ny
    2011 WRX
    2012 FXT

The Big 2011/2012 Mod Thread

Ooh,hang on. That is the throb of a turbocharged flat four engine. A sound which,all over the world,heralds the imminent arrival of a moron - JC.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself. We strongly suggest that you stay away from using aol, yahoo, msn, and hotmail accounts. Sometimes the mail server blocks the emails from our server. As a result you will not receive any notifications including the confirmation email.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.