Why did Subaru give us a spare tire? - Page 2
Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

This is a discussion on Why did Subaru give us a spare tire? within the General Maintenance, Troubleshooting & Accidents. forums, part of the Tech & Modifying & General Repairs category; Originally Posted by mycologist Because it is the best way to light your differential on fire. http://www.clubwrx.net/forums/genera...ire-today.html Whoa. So would ...

I Support ClubWRX
    Quote Originally Posted by mycologist View Post
    Because it is the best way to light your differential on fire.

Differential ON FIRE today....
    Whoa.

So would you recommend just having it flatbedded, then? Good thing I've never had a flat, sheesh.
    Isaac -- 2003 WRX sedan Stg II - Gave its life for mine 6/2013.
    2007 Outback 3.0R wagon
    Proud owner of a N.E.R.D, Member 1.38×10-23

He who shall be last, shall be sideways and smiling... - Jeremy Clarkson

2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements

- Will
    First Mods: What to do and what not to do
    Current Car: 2014 Golf TDI
    Previous Cars:2012 WRB WRX Hatch, 2004 RSX-S, 1998 Grand Prix GTP
    "Isn't it amazing how smart you feel when you just aren't being stupid?"

I Support ClubWRX
    As a cruel joke.

Given my background and daily interactions, I imagine it being an upper management decision contrary to the expressed opinions of the drive-train engineers. Somewhere there is a Japanese engineer that smirks every time he sees a WRX drive by.

I carry a mini 12 v compressor, fix a flat, and a plug kit. If I can't fix it with that, I'll call a flat bed.
    2014 Ford Fiesta ST

06 WRX, HAWKEYE # 001 <T-boned and sold>

COILOVER TABLE
    TURBO TABLE

zax
    I Support ClubWRX I Support ClubWRX
    Easy. More differential fires = more money Subaru can charge for repairs!

Alright, enough with the conspiracy theories... the diameter of the stock donut should equal the diameter of the stock wheels. As long as there is no radial mismatch, the differential shouldn't be overworked.
    2015 CWP WRX STi ... But how did I get roped back into an EJ motor?!
    Zax's utterly unimaginably stock 2015 STi build thread
    Zax's Shaggin' Wagon Build Thread Now tuned for 99% pure Unicorn Jizz!

Zach | Moderator -- Mid-Atlantic States, Tech & Modifying & General Repairs
    Rollin' with the Bugeye Mafia #302 | N.E.R.D. Subject Zero
    Facebook me here

Your Mid-A local board: http://www.clubwrx.net/forums/mid-atlantic-states/

Captain James of the SS Impreza has gone down with the ship Drews's Avatar
    I Support ClubWRX
    Quote Originally Posted by zax View Post
    Easy. More differential fires = more money Subaru can charge for repairs!

Alright, enough with the conspiracy theories... the diameter of the stock donut should equal the diameter of the stock wheels. As long as there is no radial mismatch, the differential shouldn't be overworked.
    Well...I ALWAYS call a flatbed. It's a free service included with my insurance payment, so I use it. Like Jeremy, I also carry a small 12v compressor just in case. I don't even carry my spare anymore.

edit: Aren't there stickers you can get that say to only tow with a flatbed? I remember seeing someone have them on their car, I just don't remember where you can get them.
    Hawk-Eye Alliance #Eleventy,000,000,000|N.E.R.D. Member 20,000
    Stable: 2014 Hyundai Veloster Turbo (Matte Grey), 06 LGT, 03 WRX, 98 RS, 00 OBS

Resident Clubdub Debbie Downer. I'd love your ideas if you kept them to yourself. Subarus suck, get a new wife.

Never argue with idiots. They'll drag you to their level and beat you with experience.

Admiral Ackbar the 1st mycologist's Avatar
    I Support ClubWRX
    My recommendation would be get a full size spare, call a truck, or go straight to a shop on the donut if you are within 5-10 miles

Quote Originally Posted by Drews View Post
    Well...I ALWAYS call a flatbed. It's a free service included with my insurance payment, so I use it. Like Jeremy, I also carry a small 12v compressor just in case. I don't even carry my spare anymore.

edit: Aren't there stickers you can get that say to only tow with a flatbed? I remember seeing someone have them on their car, I just don't remember where you can get them.
    IMO that sticker should only have to say "AWD".... Some do use a dolly though.
    "From a little spark may burst a mighty flame." - Dante
    "The stitch is lost unless the thread is knotted." - Italian proverb

I Support ClubWRX
    Quote Originally Posted by mycologist View Post
    IMO that sticker should only have to say "AWD".... Some do use a dolly though.
    I believe the sticker stated that the car was AWD and could only be towed with a flatbed. I want to say that Ray has one.

Resident Clubdub Debbie Downer. I'd love your ideas if you kept them to yourself. Subarus suck, get a new wife.

Never argue with idiots. They'll drag you to their level and beat you with experience.

Quote Originally Posted by rage-wrx View Post
    Agreed.Any spare tire on any car is just for getting you to the nearest repair shop,not to drive around on.
    Try living in Philly...morons leave the spares on forever. They will leave them on the front wheels of an FWD car too...
    The Hawk-Eye Alliance #90|The Blobeye Syndicate #0|The Stink-Eye Mob #0|N.E.R.D. Founding Member & #3
    2012 Lightning Red WRX Sedan Stock...for now Soon to be OpenSource tuned by: Mattypants @ WTF Tuning
    "If I have 10 ice cubes and you have 11 giraffes, how many pancakes can fit on the roof? Purple, because aliens don’t wear hats" -Ying

I Support ClubWRX
    .edit: Aren't there stickers you can get that say to only tow with a flatbed? I remember seeing someone have them on their car, I just don't remember where you can get them.
    AWD do not tow flatbed only Decal Sticker Emblem | eBay
    T0ny
    2011 WRX
    2012 FXT

The Big 2011/2012 Mod Thread

Ooh,hang on. That is the throb of a turbocharged flat four engine. A sound which,all over the world,heralds the imminent arrival of a moron - JC.

I Support ClubWRX
    I believe the sticker stated that the car was AWD and could only be towed with a flatbed. I want to say that Ray has one.
    If you're talking about me, mine just says "Symmetrical AWD".
    --Ray
    Grandfather of the Bugeye Mafia
    2013 Subaru BRZ Limited
    2002 Subaru WRX Bugeyebrid Wagon

I Support ClubWRX
    Quote Originally Posted by RayfieldsWRX View Post
    If you're talking about me, mine just says "Symmetrical AWD".
    Maybe you just posted a link to one at some point in time...

Probably a dumb question but since this is my first AWD car I'd figure I would ask:

Say you get a flat and the tire isn't pluggable/fixable. Would I need to change out the other 3 tires with new ones?

zax
    I Support ClubWRX I Support ClubWRX
    Quote Originally Posted by maus View Post
    Probably a dumb question but since this is my first AWD car I'd figure I would ask:

Say you get a flat and the tire isn't pluggable/fixable. Would I need to change out the other 3 tires with new ones?
    Depends on the wear on each tire. You don't want to mix 3 very worn tires with a brand new tire. If you absolutely must, make sure that you are rotating the tires regularly.
    2015 CWP WRX STi ... But how did I get roped back into an EJ motor?!
    Zax's utterly unimaginably stock 2015 STi build thread
    Zax's Shaggin' Wagon Build Thread Now tuned for 99% pure Unicorn Jizz!

Zach | Moderator -- Mid-Atlantic States, Tech & Modifying & General Repairs
    Rollin' with the Bugeye Mafia #302 | N.E.R.D. Subject Zero
    Facebook me here

Your Mid-A local board: http://www.clubwrx.net/forums/mid-atlantic-states/

I Support ClubWRX

EDIT: Beaten by Zach, but

Depends on wear. If your other tires were on their way out, maybe, although many tire shops have used tires on hand. If they have an identical used tire that matches the wear of the others, I'd use that. We have Les Schwab tires in the NW, and on other (non-AWD) cars I've had, they had an identical match to the other three, just worn down a bit (although by no means bald, still had at least 70% tread), so the treads matched much more closely. A side benefit was they don't charge for using a used tire, it was just $10 for labor.
    Last edited by Rambo; 04-10-2012 at 08:25 AM.
    Isaac -- 2003 WRX sedan Stg II - Gave its life for mine 6/2013.
    2007 Outback 3.0R wagon
    Proud owner of a N.E.R.D, Member 1.38×10-23

He who shall be last, shall be sideways and smiling... - Jeremy Clarkson

Technically yes...unless you can find a used tire of the same model as yours that has similar treadwear on it, which still isn't always the safest.

Anyone know if there are places that will "grind" a new tire down to the same wear as tires you have on?
    The Hawk-Eye Alliance #90|The Blobeye Syndicate #0|The Stink-Eye Mob #0|N.E.R.D. Founding Member & #3
    2012 Lightning Red WRX Sedan Stock...for now Soon to be OpenSource tuned by: Mattypants @ WTF Tuning
    "If I have 10 ice cubes and you have 11 giraffes, how many pancakes can fit on the roof? Purple, because aliens don’t wear hats" -Ying

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast