Subaru WRX Forum banner

Why did Subaru give us a spare tire?

41K views 64 replies 22 participants last post by  gregroot198521 
#1 ·
From what I have read mix matching tire sizes and tread patterns can lead to some differential damage so with that being said why did Subaru put a spare tire in the back if using it could lead to some expensive repairs?

#57 ·
I linked this thread on another site and after reading through it again it brought up another question. We all know the cars are AWD and not to tow them w/ anything but a flatbed. But where should you put that sticker so others also know that? If its hidden away or put somewhere where no one will notice it what good would it do? Never know if you could be involved in an accident and not be present ( as far as at the hospital or something) when your car was towed away. When I totaled my ranger I was knocked out and had a huge bump on my forehead and I was taken to the hospital long before the tow trucks came around to tow my truck off. Granted it was totaled and would not have mattered as far as tow damage if it was a WRX/STI but I'm just saying this situation is possible.

#58 ·
Most tow truck drivers know not to tow a Subaru unless they have a flatbed and when you call for a tow they ask for the make/model of the vehicle. Working as a firefighter I can tell you pretty much any auto accident you are getting a flatbed due to the fact they are betting on the car not being in great condition. I honestly don't even see the "dolly" type tow vehicles much any more.

#61 ·
Side note on this whole tow thing......

If you are lowered at all, you might not make it onto most flatbeds without damage to your bumpers. Mine (3rd gen) is stock hight and when it was towed a few days ago the front bumper cleared the flatbed by about 1/2mm.

Driver said if it had been lowered I would have needed a few 2x4s to build ramps to get the nose up high enough to get on the flatbed. So, unless your area has a lot of exotic cars that get towed, and you think the tow companies have the special trucks that put the bed flat on the ground...if you are lowered you should carry some wood blocks in your trunk

#62 ·
If you are lowered at all, you might not make it onto most flatbeds without damage to your bumpers. Mine (3rd gen) is stock hight and when it was towed a few days ago the front bumper cleared the flatbed by about 1/2mm.

Driver said if it had been lowered I would have needed a few 2x4s to build ramps to get the nose up high enough to get on the flatbed. So, unless your area has a lot of exotic cars that get towed, and you think the tow companies have the special trucks that put the bed flat on the ground...if you are lowered you should carry some wood blocks in your trunk
This guy has that covered

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.