How to install camshafts

This is a discussion on How to install camshafts within the General Maintenance, Troubleshooting & Accidents. forums, part of the Tech & Modifying & General Repairs category; I'm in the process of changing my head gaskets. I got the right head bolted down and now I'm trying ...

How to install camshafts

I'm in the process of changing my head gaskets. I got the right head bolted down and now I'm trying to install the intake and exhaust camshafts. Are they supposed to be installed in a certain position or does it not matter?

2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements

Shouldn't matter, as long as you have the timing correct at the end.

I Support ClubWRX
    Do you have the factory manual? It specifies how to set the cams and how to rotate them in order to be correct.
    WRX Info Links, Courtesy TheJ
    The world breaks everyone and afterward many are strong in the broken places. Ernest Hemingway
    I lied. I cheated. I bribed men to cover the crimes of other men. I am an accessory to murder. But the most damning thing of all... I think I can live with it. And if I had to do it all over again - I would. Benjamin Sisko
    DISCLAIMER: Opinions expressed are the author's alone and are inherently worthless.

Trying to download a copy of the manual right now.

I Support ClubWRX
    OK good. I don't have it around but I know it specifies how to set down each cam, in terms of angles (degrees) and it distinguishes between left and right side. I was only doing the seals once but kept on reading out of morbid curiosity.
    The world breaks everyone and afterward many are strong in the broken places. Ernest Hemingway
    I lied. I cheated. I bribed men to cover the crimes of other men. I am an accessory to murder. But the most damning thing of all... I think I can live with it. And if I had to do it all over again - I would. Benjamin Sisko
    DISCLAIMER: Opinions expressed are the author's alone and are inherently worthless.

I Support ClubWRX
    Trying to upload pg166 from the manual for a 2002 turbo 2,0L. MODEL YEARS WILL VARY SO LOOK ONLY AT YOUR SPECIFIC YEAR. Also, this isn't enough to get you out of the woods I think; hope you get the manual. This will give you an idea of the instructions involved but only a general idea.

3 - DOHC Engine.pdf

When measuring degrees, am I going from the center of the block or the front of the cam shaft? one has to be set at 77 degrees and the other is 11. I have them set at the moment from measuring from the front of each shaft. But the illustration seems like its measured from the center of the head or block.

Ok I think I got it figured out. Thanks a lot SD_GR!